[SOLVED] evga ftw3 hybrid cooler?

Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

So recently I bought a EVGA ftw3 3090 and my temps are pretty high on it. When it's under load, I see temps as high as 83c. I've heard a lot of mixed comments with some people saying that's it's completely normal for that card to get really hot, and I've heard other people saying that their card never gets hotter than 65c on air.

So I'm looking at the EVGA website and see that they sell a hybrid cooler that replaces the stock air cooler on the card. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get it? Would I see a significant difference in my temps with that cooler? Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm also (sort of) open to the idea of going full custom water loop. It seems a little silly that I'm going to have both an AIO for my CPU and another one for my GPU. I'm just really nervous about leaks and the possibility of frying my components.

Solution
My idle temps are in the low 40's.
And yes, I do have an overclock applied

So I don't know. I really go back and forth as to whether I want to pull the trigger on a full custom loop. I think the biggest thing holding me back is just the thought of spending so much money on something that could potentially destroy my rig. I technically COULD afford it... Right after I financially recover from my 3090... And after my wife is speaking to me again :LOL:

So I'm kind of leaning more towards the hybrid cooler right now since it's sort of an in-between option and it's not horribly expensive. But I'm curious, what would you say to someone like me who's on the fence about going full custom loop? Are my worries justified or am I...
What are the idle temps?
Do you have a overclock?
I would personally go for a full custom loop,considering you have a 3090,i think its well within your budget.
There are 2 options for loops,either hardline tubing (the transparent one where you can see your fluid) which ussually requires more maintenance,and soft tubing (the black coloured one that is way more flexible and simple),but it lacks the visuals in my opinion.
Full custom loops ussually cost anywhere between 500$-1000$,depending on the things you are buying ofcourse.

D

Deleted member 2838871

So I'm looking at the EVGA website and see that they sell a hybrid cooler that replaces the stock air cooler on the card. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get it? Would I see a significant difference in my temps with that cooler? Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm just really nervous about leaks and the possibility of frying my components.

My old build had the GTX 1080 Ti FE... and I bought the EVGA hybrid kit and it did an amazing job on that card... dropping temps from the 80's at load down to the upper 40's... nearly a 50% decrease and eliminated the jet engine on takeoff while gaming experience. That was the 1080 Ti though and not the 3090.

Thankfully the design of the 3090 FE is spot on. The cooling is amazing and my temps are in the 50's and 60's at load. I have no need for a hybrid kit this time.

Yes you'd see a difference. Worth it? Probably. Leaks and frying your components? Nothing I'd worry about. I ran my old build nearly 4 years and never had a problem with the AIO cooling on both CPU and GPU.

Reactions: Dj0gany
My old build had the GTX 1080 Ti FE... and I bought the EVGA hybrid kit and it did an amazing job on that card... dropping temps from the 80's at load down to the upper 40's... nearly a 50% decrease and eliminated the jet engine on takeoff while gaming experience. That was the 1080 Ti though and not the 3090.

Thankfully the design of the 3090 FE is spot on. The cooling is amazing and my temps are in the 50's and 60's at load. I have no need for a hybrid kit this time.

Yes you'd see a difference. Worth it? Probably. Leaks and frying your components? Nothing I'd worry about. I ran my old build nearly 4 years and never had a problem with the AIO cooling on both CPU and GPU.
50% temp decrease :oops:

D

Deleted member 2838871

50% temp decrease :oops:

Yep... it was pretty amazing. Those 1080 Ti FE cards were both hot and loud. The hybrid kit solved both problems.
MlhnC8Z.jpg

Thankfully the 3090 FE cards don't have the same problems. I definitely recommend the hybrid kits... just glad I don't need one this time.

Yep... it was pretty amazing. Those 1080 Ti FE cards were both hot and loud. The hybrid kit solved both problems.
MlhnC8Z.jpg

Thankfully the 3090 FE cards don't have the same problems. I definitely recommend the hybrid kits... just glad I don't need one this time.
Does EVGA still have those for sale? (the cooling kits,not the 1080ti)
In the future i might be buying a used 1080Ti,you know when the prices calm down,and i would love to have a card like that.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Does EVGA still have those for sale? (the cooling kits,not the 1080ti)
In the future i might be buying a used 1080Ti,you know when the prices calm down,and i would love to have a card like that.

Not according to their website but you can probably find one online if you look. I've seen a few on Amazon. I paid $699 for that card and then $179 for the hybrid kit. That was right before mining became a thing and GPU prices went up. Imagine if the 3090 was $699... LOL I still got great use of the card, and sold both the card with the hybrid kit for $400 when I built the new PC in December. Averaged out to about $100 a year cost... not bad.

It wasn't fun though. Disassembly and reassembly took me like 3 hours because there was like 2000 ridiculously small screws involved... glad I don't have to do that again. As said, the 3090 FE has much better cooling and I don't have any need for a hybrid kit.

Not according to their website but you can probably find one online if you look. I've seen a few on Amazon. I paid $699 for that card and then $179 for the hybrid kit. That was right before mining became a thing and GPU prices went up. Imagine if the 3090 was $699... LOL I still got great use of the card, and sold both the card with the hybrid kit for $400 when I built the new PC in December. Averaged out to about $100 a year cost... not bad.

It wasn't fun though. Disassembly and reassembly took me like 3 hours because there was like 2000 ridiculously small screws involved... glad I don't have to do that again. As said, the 3090 FE has much better cooling and I don't have any need for a hybrid kit.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 2838871

No prob. They're out there, I just saw a bunch on Ebay. Like with anything else GPU related right now though you need to wait until the prices are no longer stupid. I actually felt good about selling mine for $400 and now they are up on eBay for $600... :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 2838871

Should've waited a bit.
I can see they are selling for 500-600$ on ebay.

No way to know... just because they are listed at that price doesn't mean they are selling. When I sold mine the prices were around $450... and I sold for $400 in less than 24 hours. Anyway, it's not anything I was looking to get rich off of anyway... basically just wanted to get it off my hands and give another gamer a solid card without getting ripped off. At the end of the day $200 isn't a big deal to me and certainly not something I'm going to hold onto the card for months to try to get.

Either way... the GPU market is a sad state of affairs.

Jun 12, 2020
What are the idle temps?
Do you have a overclock?
I would personally go for a full custom loop,considering you have a 3090,i think its well within your budget.
There are 2 options for loops,either hardline tubing (the transparent one where you can see your fluid) which ussually requires more maintenance,and soft tubing (the black coloured one that is way more flexible and simple),but it lacks the visuals in my opinion.
Full custom loops ussually cost anywhere between 500$-1000$,depending on the things you are buying ofcourse.

So I don't know. I really go back and forth as to whether I want to pull the trigger on a full custom loop. I think the biggest thing holding me back is just the thought of spending so much money on something that could potentially destroy my rig. I technically COULD afford it... Right after I financially recover from my 3090... And after my wife is speaking to me again :LOL:

So I'm kind of leaning more towards the hybrid cooler right now since it's sort of an in-between option and it's not horribly expensive. But I'm curious, what would you say to someone like me who's on the fence about going full custom loop? Are my worries justified or am I overthinking it?

So I'm kind of leaning more towards the hybrid cooler right now since it's sort of an in-between option and it's not horribly expensive. But I'm curious, what would you say to someone like me who's on the fence about going full custom loop? Are my worries justified or am I overthinking it?
Well nothing is 100% safe.
Even with the hybrid cooler there can be leaks,since the cooler might be faulty from the factory,but that is very unlikely.
What is the rest of your pc?
People often go with loops when they have a theme behind their pc,or just a lot of rgb.

Solution
MlhnC8Z.jpg

Looking at that picture I think your problem is not helped by case airflow. Only about 2/3rds of the bottom front intake fan is below the gpu. The gpu takes air in from the side facing the bottom of the case, the component that produces the most heat is being fed air from outside the case by less than 1 fan. That case looks to have very little air vents below the gpu to let fresh air into the area the gpu will be taking air from. My case has a lot more air vents at the bottom and I still noticed about a 5c improvement in gpu temperature when I put a fan at the bottom of the case under the front end of my 3080.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Looking at that picture I think your problem is not helped by case airflow.

... and you’d be right. That was my old 7700k build from 2017 with the NZXT S340 Elite... which had horrible airflow.

I made it a point to go with a better case in the new build and ended up going with the FD Meshify 2... which I found out after the build was rated one of the best cases of 2020 by Gamers Nexus.

Live and learn. 👍

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Loops are highly dependent on choices. Put the wrong fan with the wrong rad and you'll get crappy temps. Bigger rads, thicker rads mean higher capacity, not better cooling ability. The right rad paired with the right fan at the right rpm is what you need for cooling ability.

So you'll need to research which rads fit the profile of the fans, or vice versa as compared to your actual goals of temps vs noise output etc.

Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone and thank you for your responses.

Because of the positive responses I got about the hybrid cooler, I decided to pull the trigger on it.

It arrived yesterday, I installed it and then ran it through a 30 minute torture test.

Before the cooler, I was seeing temps up to 83 degrees,
With the cooler, my temps never got higher than 64 degrees.

That's almost a 20 degree difference!

The pump is a little loud on this bad boy, but it doesn't at all compare to the blasting of all 3 of my GPU fans at 100% lol.

Definitely happy with my purchase. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Hello everyone and thank you for your responses.

Because of the positive responses I got about the hybrid cooler, I decided to pull the trigger on it.

It arrived yesterday, I installed it and then ran it through a 30 minute torture test.

Before the cooler, I was seeing temps up to 83 degrees,
With the cooler, my temps never got higher than 64 degrees.

That's almost a 20 degree difference!

The pump is a little loud on this bad boy, but it doesn't at all compare to the blasting of all 3 of my GPU fans at 100% lol.

Definitely happy with my purchase. Thanks everyone!
Nice,enjoy!