EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSuperClocked Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan

I am confused why the 4k benches matter, in this discussion. The GTX 960 is targeted at the 1080p crowd.

Justin C

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

So you found one, ONE benchmark which puts the vanilla 4GB 290X above a 980........bravo. It's also from TechSpot, who isn't exactly known for doing very good performance reviews since their numbers often conflict with more well know outfits like TechPowerup, Toms, or Anandtech Not to mention that anyone in their right mind knows 1-2 fps difference is within the margin of error. Do us all a favor and go run one benchmark yourself, at the same settings each time on the same hardware, and tell us the various runs are not varying by a couple fps.

You post a Shadow of Mordor benchmark showing a less than 2 fps lead for a 8GB 290X, not a vanilla 4GB variant.

You post a Far Cry 4 benchmark that once again, shows an 8GB 290X being less than 1 fps faster at 4K.

I take bench reviews with a grain of salt - cause sometimes it looks like that card in review does so well over the rest in its own review but funny how I look at another cards review things now look a lot more even??
plus most are from first release cards and updated to todays release cards with updated drivers .. so now you got a new card with the latest driver to the day compared to a older card on a older driver in the results ?? how fair is that ??

Allan Nichols

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
So the GTX 460 and 560 had 256 bit memory then the 660 had 192 Bit Memory and now the GTX 960 has 128 Bit Memory.....

Makes perfect sense ! lol

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have been recommending the 4GB EVGA GTX 960 SSC. It's only 30 more dollars so 240 and the 4GB memory should be enough for all games for the expected lifetime of the card at 1080p

recommend it funny why the comments of the articles on them go like this

A couple of additional numbers worth paying attention to: The 128-bit memory bus of the original GTX 960 cards doesn’t appear to have been expanded for the 4GB variants

Can we please get a review of one of these 4gb 960's they seem like a huge waste of 4gb even in sli

no point in buying the gtx 9604gb version because the bandwidth and process power is not enough for 4gb vram anyway

but as allways it seems hype sell's over fact

InvalidError

Titan

People will likely pull out the "futureproofing" argument for when games will actually start using that much memory for textures and whatever else.

People who look at GPU memory usage on 256/384/512bits GPUs usually overlook the fact that most extra memory use on GPUs with wider memory interface is simply the same 500-800MB of artwork, geometry and shader code/data replicated across multiple channels eating up that 1.5-3.5GB.

Until games start using nearly 2GB worth of unique data, I agree there would be little to no reason to expect much of a performance gain from slapping 4GB on a 128bits GPU. I tried a handful of games on my 1GB HD5770 and none of them used more than 750MB of GPU RAM with most graphics options at ultra, so I would not expect 2GB 128bits GPUs to run out of steam due to memory size any time soon..

OK, let me ask the Illuminati posting here. This card is an open-air card, right? As opposed to a blower card. Blowers have a shroud and open-air cards have more than one fan open to the case inside, as far as I understand this.

Thanks. :)

Yes, which means you need good case airflow. The exhaust blower style coolers are more forgiving to cases with low air flow, but tend to be louder and run hotter than "open air" cards in cases with good flow.

Which brings us to the perennial issue of how to use open-air GPUs in conjunction with AIO closed-loop water coolers for the CPU. Either the AIO cooler's radiator blows pre-heated air into the case, impacting the GPU, or the reverse, the CPU gets cooled with the heated air inside the case, leading to reduced thermal efficiency for the CPU cooler.

I'm very tempted to switch to AIO cooling for the GPU in my next PC build, just to check out how that shakes out.

For a scenario like that, I'd have all the radiators set to exhaust and have some high pressure fans for case intakes. Strongly consider custom loop or at least expandable AIO models.

OR

Just get a HAF XB and AIR COOL EVERYTHING. Heat does not stand a chance!

Ouch did you see the time variance on Far Cry 4, wow. On the plus side the R9-290x will help keep your house warm which is important in your having problems with lots of snow.

Thomkat2

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Who wants to wait months for a good driver on a new card? Nvidia gets on it pretty quick from what ive seen, at least since a couple years ago. AMD has good cards, but Nvidia has them worried obviously. I mean, why release the first Dual GPU in a single card and not have ungodly amounts of frames per second on every game title... they chewed off too much too fast and are now in a hurry to get decent drivers for their customers. Far Cry 4 performance levels compared to GTX 980 levels indicate they (AMD) are not getting the results they hoped for in the card. Maybe in the next round of AMD cards they will have lower heat, watts, and better drivers...
This is my opinion, no reason for hateful remarks..

westmc45

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Don't forget sometimes B & H Photo believe it or not has good prices I bought mine there, Amazon now charges tax, B&H no tax and expedited shipping on many parts. I know saving a little tax money may sound stupid but it adds up.

You're not the only one buying from B&H Photo... :) They're probably my #3 site.

Anirudh 07

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I'm having a
i3 540 @ 3.06 processor
12 gb corsair vengeance ram
and an Intel motherboard
Which is the best graphics card I can buy?..........I'm thinking of buying a asus gtx 960 ....is my decision right....plzzzzzzzzz tell me....be honest....Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.