[SOLVED] EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition w/ iCX Cooler boosting higher than it should?

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
afternoon, looking at info for the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition w/ iCX Cooler show it should max boost to 1670MHz ( with no extra overclock etc. ) but mine goes to 1987 MHz is that normal?

Solution
The advertised boost clock doesn't mean it's the limit. The GPU will boost as fast as possible until it hits a temperature, voltage, or power consumption limit.
afternoon, looking at info for the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition w/ iCX Cooler show it should max boost to 1670MHz ( with no extra overclock etc. ) but mine goes to 1987 MHz is that normal?
Well in all fairness it wass to my understanding they laumched a few line of cards that just kept ocing and ocing and ocing themselfs no matter what untill they hit they're max power draw or temps... If the card was able to take it it just kept going... But there were only a few of thes series made to my understanding if at all.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Well in all fairness it wass to my understanding they laumched a few line of cards that just kept ocing and ocing and ocing themselfs no matter what untill they hit they're max power draw or temps... If the card was able to take it it just kept going... But there were only a few of thes series made to my understanding if at all.

temps are fine playing d2/warzone at 1440p pretty much max settings, gpu gets up tom 65c

Hi afro do you use what you would class as power hungry games.
I only have the standard 1080 but the following "might" explain why your figures go up , my rig was custom built and on the gpu driver disc i found an overclocking program.
I wrote to the makers and asked how to use it..... the individual who replied said .... i dont know why that program has been put on the disc because under load the 1080 has the ability to overclock itself.

I dont know if his comments are true i am just repeating what he said.