EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB Temperature Issues

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
So i have just installed this card in my computer and installed the latest drivers i know that the card does not spin up until it hits over 60 degrees but ive been using it playing games like GTA V At close to maximum settings with a few settings tweaked in order to keep the fps above 60 all times and games like black ops 3 at max settings and MotoGP 15 At 4K Maximum settings and i have noticed my card has been hitting a maximum of 76 Degrees is this something that i need to worry about? i DO NOT Have a custom fan curve set up as i do not know how to do this

Can anyone tell me how i can bring the temps down i have good air flow 2 120MM Fans at the front of the case and a push pull config on my cpu cooler radiator and another fan sat below the graphics card in order to help to move hot air out of the case also i have noticed since upgrading my GPU To the GTX 970 SSC My CPU Seems to be hotter than usual and working harder it typically Sat around 40 - 54 Degrees max while gaming and now it will hit 60 Degrees whilst gaming is this okay? as there is no overclock on the CPU its completely stock and it is watercooled with a 120 Maelstrom CPU Closed loop cooler not the best in the world but it does the job i will list my system specs below and hopefully someone can help me sorry for rambling on im just concerned and dont no to much about computers any advice would be helpfull thanks :)

SYSTEM SPECS:
Processor: Inter Core I7 4770K @ 3.5GHz -3.9GHz (Stock)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 RAM (Standard RAM Nothing Special)
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G (Peice Of Shit My Gigabyte Broke)
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB Edition
Corsair 600M Powersupply
Cooler: Maelstrom 120K Closed Loop Water Cooler

Any Information on how i could get my system temperatures down on my cpu and gpu would be greatly appreciated

I have two SSC ACX 2.0+ 970s in SLI. The question is which SSC model do you have? The newer ACX 2.0+ (model# ends in 3975) or the original SSX ACX 2.0 (model ends in 2974).

The reason I ask is that the 2.0+ has a new power phase and cooling pipe design and runs several degrees cooler than the 2.0 variant. The 2.0+ also has a slightly higher out of the box core/boost speed (1190/1342 vs. 1165/1317).

Either way those temps are good, but I'd get a better comparison knowing exactly which model you have. With no fan curve, that is factory BIOS default to not spin fans up until 60C. Oh and a custom fan curve is easy to set. Use MSI afterburner and look up videos on Youtube. There are plenty of walk-through tutorials out there. It's a simple process really. For reference, here are my points on the curve (I have an aggressive curve to better control cooling with SLI):

40C - 40% (fan speed)
45C - 50%
50C - 65%
55C - 85%
60C - 95%

In the middle of summer my GPUs max out around 56-57C under load somewhere around 88% fan speed (I like to keep fans under 90% for longevity and it takes trial and error to get a good balance). If you don't like noise, that may not be for you. But I hate heat more than noise (in the summer anyway). Also I have an Antec Nine Hundred case that has very good airflow, so that helps too.

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

I Have the newer one 3975

Then 76C is fine. The 2.0 model hit closer to 80C with no fan profile. Do yourself a favor and download MSI Afterburner and set a profile. I would recommend capping somewhere between 65C-70C if fan noise doesn't bother you. Sounds like you have a pretty good airflow case as well.

Use my temps as a general guide for reference, but note that our indoor ambient temps are probably different and I'm running two GPUs which means a little warmer inside the case. Here's one tutorial example on a fan profile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF16fg7jgjc

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

Thankyou and ive already set a fan curve up it hits a max of 65 degrees on GTAV At max settings just glad my system is okay and yeah ahaha i have fans in places they shouldent be lots of airflow also i have another question you may be able to help me with

If it's related to this thread, then continue on. If it's about something else, then best answer this one to close out and start a new one. Also I'm confused as you stated you didn't have a fan curve set in the original question.

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

it kinda relates im scared my cpu may be bottlenecking my card or my cpu might go bad within the next 2-3 years its an i7 4770k at stock speeds

Not at all! My CPU is weaker and slower than yours (i5 4690K at 3.5GHz vs. your 4.0GHz). This is especially true if you run 1440p resolution as that is mostly on the GPU. But even at 1080p, you are a long way off from a bottleneck. Even if you put in a new GTX 1080 you wouldn't see a bottleneck.

If you aren't overclocking, all things considered, your CPU and motherboard will last a lot longer than its usefulness. Now the GPU is a crap shoot. I had to RMA one of my 970s that stopped being recognized after a year and a half. I tested it in another PC and it wound up going bad. EVGA RMA'd a replacement quickly (one of the best things about EVGA is their support and service). That's rare, but it's always a possibility. I never had any other GPUs go bad, and I've had about 12 of them over the past 20 years of PC building.