[SOLVED] Evga gtx 980 ti always hit the temp limits

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello all, i have an evga gtx 980 ti classified. It was repasted and cleaned recently. The problem i have with this game is that it always hits it's temp limits. The default temps limit was 83C and it hits that on 100% gpu usage in demanding games. The clocks show 1405 mhz. That is if i switch on the ac unit. If i dont, 83C but 1300 to 1380mhz. It fluctuates around there. My case is tecware m3 tg. There's 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust. My fan curve is 70C=70%. I dont want to try a more aggresive fan curve because the noise is loud af. I read that maxwell gpus are designed to hold their temps limit? Oh my ambient temp in my room without ac is around 28 to 30C. Any ideas how to fix it?

Solution
So the psu shroud isn't removable? There's no screws holding it in place?
In your current chassis, there's only one real source of air for the gpu - the rear PCIe slots, and... that's a pretty small area.

Do you think it's worth it to change my case to thermaltake versa h17? Would that make a significant improvement?
1)No.
2)No.
Because that chassis shares similarities in design with your current chassis.
Everyone's got their tastes, you like what you like... but what you like in a chassis - just going from 2 samples - gpu cooling is an afterthought.
Your going to have to take into account those subpar gpu thermals and build/compose with that in mind.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panel designs are the nemesis of axial...

poorbugger

Distinguished
This one?
https://www.tecware.co/m3

Have you done the chassis airflow test already?
How to:
Remove the front, side, and top panels. Play your games as usual and note the max temp.
A decent chassis shouldn't impact thermals more than like 5C.
Yeah that's the one. I did that and the temps still hit the limits. Is there any risks to playing with side panel off other than dust accumulation?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No risks at all, save for unfortunate coincidences:
-mobile pets
-clumsy streak
-kids in the residence being kids

You mentioned changing the paste... what was the condition of the thermal pads? If they tear, they're useless.
This next one, I'm not 100% sure about, as I've no way to confirm it, but apparently the thermal pads should be replaced anyway because they behave like paste does. The imprints from being pressed into the memory and VRMs can leave air pockets.

poorbugger

Distinguished
No risks at all, save for unfortunate coincidences:
-mobile pets
-clumsy streak
-kids in the residence being kids

You mentioned changing the paste... what was the condition of the thermal pads? If they tear, they're useless.
This next one, I'm not 100% sure about, as I've no way to confirm it, but apparently the thermal pads should be replaced anyway because they behave like paste does. The imprints from being pressed into the memory and VRMs can leave air pockets.
I see. I didnt change the pads but i think they're okay? I cant remember. I got this gpu used. The guy bought it on release date and used it for overwatch only.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, mining wasn't a cash cow at the time that card was out, so okay, I guess.
The only other thing that comes to mind is that the gpu is just too close to your chassis' psu shroud...
Is it possible to remove the shroud and do the airflow test again?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Well, mining wasn't a cash cow at the time that card was out, so okay, I guess.
The only other thing that comes to mind is that the gpu is just too close to your chassis' psu shroud...
Is it possible to remove the shroud and do the airflow test again?
Okay so i took off the side panel and the front panel. Temps didnt really drop but the clocks was maintained higher. Previously with everything on, temps was 74C with core clocks of 1350 to 1400 mhz. With front and side off, clocks managed to stay 1455 to 1480mhz at 74C. It's 74C now because i set the temps limit to 74C instead of 83C. Do you think it's worth it to change my case to thermaltake versa h17? Would that make a significant improvement? Because i'll switch to sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt or 5700 xt. Would those cards run cooler than the 980 ti?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In your current chassis, there's only one real source of air for the gpu - the rear PCIe slots, and... that's a pretty small area.

Do you think it's worth it to change my case to thermaltake versa h17? Would that make a significant improvement?
1)No.
2)No.
Everyone's got their tastes, you like what you like... but what you like in a chassis - just going from 2 samples - gpu cooling is an afterthought.
Your going to have to take into account those subpar gpu thermals and build/compose with that in mind.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panel designs are the nemesis of axial fan cooled gaming graphics cards.
Psu shrouds and their proximity to axial fan cooled gpus - the closer it is, the worse it is - is right behind it.
Psu shrouds also block a potential source of air from below - there's ones with holes drilled in... Meh.
Liquid cooled and blower models do not suffer from these... 'oversights', as they excel in cooling in small spaces. The axial fan coolers need their space.

Because i'll switch to sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt or 5700 xt. Would those cards run cooler than the 980 ti?
Let's see... EVGA 980Ti Classified... TPU has 3 bios files for that on record...
:hebe: WTH... 345w and 425w power limits?! If your card's Vbios has power limits like that... well no wonder you're having thermal issues... that's only part of the picture though.
It's just a dual axial fan cooler too... wow.

Right! Would the other 2 cards run cooler? Unfortunately, this is a yes and no answer.
Gpu core: Navi should be more power efficient than old Maxwell.
Vram: GDDR6 has higher operating temps than GDDR5. Even on custom gpu coolers, R5 can be kept cooled with just fans and no heatsinks on 'em. Can't do that with R6 memory; fans and heatsinks needed. Can't forget all that's on a shared heatsink too.
VRMs: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT has recorded power limits of 180w and 195w.
Should have an easier time cooling the Navi gpu... just keep in mind the main source of air in your chassis for the gpu.

Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished

1)No.
2)No.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panel designs are the nemesis of axial fan cooled gaming graphics cards.
Psu shrouds and their proximity to axial fan cooled gpus - the closer it is, the worse it is - is right behind it.
Psu shrouds also block a potential source of air from below - there's ones with holes drilled in... Meh.
Liquid cooled and blower models do not suffer from these... 'oversights', as they excel in cooling in small spaces. The axial fan coolers need their space.

Let's see... EVGA 980Ti Classified... TPU has 3 bios files for that on record...
:hebe: WTH... 345w and 425w power limits?! If your card's Vbios has power limits like that... well no wonder you're having thermal issues... that's only part of the picture though.
It's just a dual axial fan cooler too... wow.

Right! Would the other 2 cards run cooler? Unfortunately, this is a yes and no answer.
Gpu core: Navi should be more power efficient than old Maxwell.
Vram: GDDR6 has higher operating temps than GDDR5. Even on custom gpu coolers, R5 can be kept cooled with just fans and no heatsinks on 'em. Can't do that with R6 memory; fans and heatsinks needed. Can't forget all that's on a shared heatsink too.
VRMs: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT has recorded power limits of 180w and 195w.
Should have an easier time cooling the Navi gpu... just keep in mind the main source of air in your chassis for the gpu.
I see, thanks. Guess i'll just save up for the new gpu. Previously i had the sapphire pulse rx580 and it never reached these temps well at least not on 70% fans. My rx 580 was running quiet under 74C. But the gtx 980 ti was blowing out so much hot air that glass panel was hot, not warm but hot near the area of the heatsink that the air comes out from. I'll try limiting the power limit more. Also, i'm not sure what do you mean by psu shroud because my psu is under a cover? Separated from the gpu. The design is like that just my case only supports 2 intake fans instead of the one shown in the picture.
View: https://imgur.com/rMxSOrI

Last edited: