EVGA GTX1060 6GB Fan Broken?

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
I have a brand New EVGA GTX 1060 6GB which I just installed and the fan will not spin up. I stress tested the CPU up to 67c yet no fan. Fan is at 0 RPM at all times even when under big loads. Is the fan broken?

(I used to have an AMD Card Before so it still had AMD Drivers)

Solution
being a brand new first quality card that's would be a best bet to do / store exchange for a direct replacement

thing with a factoiry RMA like through evga asus or whoever they have a option to send you a referb card not a first quality .. you see a few complaints on that sending in a new card and getting referb back in its place

anyway good luck

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

I did as you requested and I tried the card on a stress test again and It reached 70c with no fan at all. I believe it is time to contact EVGA warranty.

VISUAL inspection, don't rely on software EVER about HARDWARE. Do you see with a flashlight on the fan when running your 'stress test' the fans NOT moving? If so, then yes RMA, otherwise your getting a false negative worry.

Now DO be aware since the 9x0 series, one way to 'reduce' the cost for the extensive heat issue is NOT to put in high quality ball bearing based fans (there is a failure point just like keys on the keyboard, mouse clicking and so on) but instead use lower cost ball bearing one (passing on the 'savings' in terms of lower cost NEW GPUs) and have the fans TURN OFF when NOT underload (this is a normal state). IF you use ANY PROGRAM to override this, you will wear out the ballbearing fans very quickly (now instead of running when needed your running 24x7).

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

It is on a clean Windows 10 install with only Steam and Nvidia geforce experience downloaded.
There does not seem to be any lights on the card at all even when under load.
It is not the super-clocked version. It seems to be a single fan 6GB version I cannot find online.
The card has only been installed today. I checked the fan to see if it was being blocked by anything but it is fine with no physical blockage.

Edit: During the Heaven benchmark test the card boosted up to 1958MHz at stayed around that range however it could just be a software glitch.

FORGET Windows, Steam, Drivers, etc. at this point, NO SOFTWARE is involved in what your saying YET.

You did NOT read what I said. So please follow EXACTLY as I say:
1) Place computer on DESK on its SIDE POWERED OFF so the fans are facing you, your keyboard and the monitor
2) OPEN computer
3) get a FLASHLIGHT
4) Put flashlight's LIGHT on the fan. Power on computer, do you see fans move at all?
5) Load Windows, then a game / benchmark program
6) With light on the fan do you SEE it now spinning while UNDERLOAD?

may check the fan header jusr under the shroud to see if its plugged in the card ? theres been one or 2 guys had that

be sure you had registered you card with evga [important with them ] then contact there support if you determined a RMA is necessary

these card do have a -0- fan thing but should activate the fans at about 60c ,

you just got one of them 1 in 100 ,000 lemons and that can happen with any brand ..

PS, may be just as good to rma back to the store you bought it from [you get another ''new'' card from them if approved ] HINT or if you need to rma with evga get there assurance there not going to send you a referb as a replacement card . hint 2

I would not worry about any of that driver stuff suggested cause that's in the cards bios not the drivers . so unless the bios is bad [you would figure the card would not work well at all ] or the fan is bad if not a fan power issue on the cards PCB or the header for the fan is not plugged in or plugged in correctly

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

Oh right. My side panel is always off on this build and the reflection of light and the case being very well lit. I can tell the fan has not moved once

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

Ive checked the card and the fan is well plugged in.
Ive had the card on all day and the card has not spun up once, its been at 32c avg without load.
I played around an hour of gaming too with no card spinning up. The previous card used worked fine and the card before that too. I believe I just got a bad card.

if you got a old card you can get the fan out of it to plug in the the evga card to test to see if it works or not if it works then you kinda know the cards right but the fan is bad

if the test fan don't work as well then it maybe sonthing wrong with the card in full

I got a fan out of a old 6850 I use to do that with

its not going tom hurt the card to unhook the evga fan from the PCb header and plug in the test fan , heck your all ready running it with out any fan as it is now

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

the only thing I spare is a GTX770 but the cooler is gainward and seems to be a very weird cooler. Taking the 1060 apart wont void warranty?

Yeah it will void the warranty. You just bought it just contact them and demand a refund from the store (first step) or replacement, if they balk at it then RMA. Either case NO the 1060 doesn't seem to have a working fan which it needs on when underload (again as I said visual test when UNDER LOAD) .

tom if you don't know don't answer

evga don't care at all you can remove all you want from there cards as long as all stock parts are on the card when you send it in . now the store you bought it from will [end user abuse ]

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58128

I feel if you think is a issue I would RMA back to the store you bought it from for a direct exchange before there RMA time period runs out

then if that runs out then contact evga on there warrantee RMA process 2ed

No offense but you didn't READ the whole legal caveat that puts the onus on the OP:

Per your quote
"Due to our warranty terms cards that do not arrive in original factory condition will be declined warranty support and the product returned at the customer’s expense.

We strongly urge all of our customers to retain the original heat sink/fan."

As I said, they see it has been monkey with, they claim that legal part "it arrived NOT in original factory condition" they don't have to give warranty support. Yeah I know the line before it, but they have a legal department for a reason, and meantime as OP fights over what they said, he has no card, he isn't getting it replaced, etc. Been there done that and know the game.

Is why I said, YES it voids it because it is NOT in original factory condition, which is vague enough to give them plenty of room THEY determine, not you / me / OP what 'factory condition' is in their standards.

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

I tried. Nothing. I am going to leave it be and presume the fan or board has a problem and I am gonna return it for another.

being a brand new first quality card that's would be a best bet to do / store exchange for a direct replacement

thing with a factoiry RMA like through evga asus or whoever they have a option to send you a referb card not a first quality .. you see a few complaints on that sending in a new card and getting referb back in its place

anyway good luck

Solution