News EVGA Is Immediately Replacing All RTX 3090s That Died From New World

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
If EVGA actually had excellent customer service, why would they sell a $2000 card with a design flaw that bricks itself doing nothing unusual? This isn't the first time they've screwed up a design. They also had an overheating VRM issue with their pascal cards that was fixed by a vbios update and adding thermal pads. I'd rather buy a product from a company with awful customer support I never have to use because they make good products that just work.
The product is completely separate from customer service.

You can have a terrible product but great customer service. On the other hand, you can have a great product and terrible customer service.

Having a bad product doesn't make their customer service any worse or any better. 2 separate things.

Reactions: King_V and VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
It looks like everything with a very high power draw is biting the dust
This is why people that say "I don't care about power draw, I have money to pay electricity and a 1000w PSU" are ignorant fools.

It's not only about if you can afford it or not, other factors and issues are also relevant.

Very high power draw on GPUs and CPUs is not something we consumers or enthusiasts should accept or want.

These companies need to do better and we should demand that from them.

Ampere needs a lot more power draw than RDNA2, Intel CPUs needs more power than AMD's Zen (look at Alder Lake, it will need over 200w - F that) and now we hear Ampere Next will again need huge amounts of power, but RDNA3 will need less...

So many ignorant people these days that only care for the extra 5% performance no matter the costs. I don't even feel bad for those that get the short end of the stick, they deserve it for their ignorance.

Some people learn only the hard way.

Reactions: martinch

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
The chances of this happening lately are higher because most GPUs you can actually get are the ridiculous, overpriced, overclocked ones. The RX 6700 is the most ridiculous of them all in terms of price.

Most people I know get the regular ones if it weren't for the shortages, but those have been out of stock. Usually the ridiculous, overpriced GPUs cost as much as a regular GPU in the next 1-2 tiers. I also have to hand it to Amazon. They didn't have to throttle the game

I looked up the EVGA issue, and it seems like EVGA had a beta BIOS that raised the amount of power the GPUs can use. I'm thinking many of the gamers that are having problem GPUs probably aren't using it though.

Last edited:
This is why people that say "I don't care about power draw, I have money to pay electricity and a 1000w PSU" are ignorant fools.

It's not only about if you can afford it or not, other factors and issues are also relevant.

Very high power draw on GPUs and CPUs is not something we consumers or enthusiasts should accept or want.

These companies need to do better and we should demand that from them.

Ampere needs a lot more power draw than RDNA2, Intel CPUs needs more power than AMD's Zen (look at Alder Lake, it will need over 200w - F that) and now we hear Ampere Next will again need huge amounts of power, but RDNA3 will need less...

So many ignorant people these days that only care for the extra 5% performance no matter the costs. I don't even feel bad for those that get the short end of the stick, they deserve it for their ignorance.

Some people learn only the hard way.
poor design with an emphasis on gaining performance by driving the power to it.

Weirdy when psu's were smaller an power draw was lesser, pounding your cpu and gpu with juice never hurt a thing!

Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz 1900 FSB GTX 570 @ 900 core and 1050 mem wasn't an issue. with a 600 watt ps, this feels like poor coding, maybe even purposefully, I hadn't heard of games killing gpu's until this point.

Gussv

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Will they be releasing a new VBIOS soon that fixes the issue? I mean, there are ton of other 3090s which aren't exposed to that game yet.

Reactions: PiranhaTech

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
Will they be releasing a new VBIOS soon that fixes the issue? I mean, there are ton of other 3090s which aren't exposed to that game yet.
Agreed.

It'll be a good idea to release a new BIOS regardless of which game it is. My gut feeling that the conditions in that one game that caused the crash can easily happen in another game. I have played many games that have 999+ FPS in menus due to the way games are made to try to ship out the rendered frame to the GPU as fast as possible.

Reactions: Gussv