EVGA, MSI and ASUS what is the difference

LucaA218

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi there im making my first build and have chose the GTX 980 for my video card and i need to know the difference between EVGA GTX 980, MSI GTX 980 and ASUS GTX 980, are they not the same thing and can i do what they have done to make the same product better. Overall should i consider picking the most expensive one or something else? Well its up to you because i dont know. Also if there isnt a definite best out of EVGA and MSI and so on which would you rather?

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
All three brands you named are solid manufacturers with good track records. If you want more detailed advice you will have to be more specific with the exact models you are looking at.

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014
EVGA for customer service, ASUS for cooling and silence (MSI is quieter from experience), MSI for looks and also silence (trust me, those coolers are QUIETTTT).

So your choice between these. I like EVGA the most, but the MSI cards look good. ASUS usually has the coolest cards but either is fine. But like aznricepuff said, it's dependent on the exact models (price to features and performance can come into play as well).

LucaA218

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

MSI http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-gaming-9RJN.html?q=gtx%20980&src=16
ASUS http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-pci-e-3-0-hdmi-directcu-ii-oc-strix-9TRR.html?src=15
EVGA http://www.dabs.ie/products/evga-geforce-gtx-980-1241mhz-4gb-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-sc-reference-design-9S1S.html?src=15
Looking at evga i wont be able to afford it but im using it for gaming i dont care about sound but i play for long periods so i would like to avoid overheating and i dont know what else you need?

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Well, I definitely would not go for the EVGA one. It's just a reference card with a factory OC, and I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive than the others - certainly not worth the price.

That leaves the MSI or Asus, which are pretty comparable. Personally I would go with the MSI. Realistically the two will perform almost identically in pretty much every way, so you might as well save a few euros. Plus I'm a bit partial to the twin frozr V cooler myself (though the directcu II isn't bad either).

LucaA218

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I cant comment on that i dont know what the twin frozr V is :/

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I myself would go with Twin Frozr V. It's the name of the new cooler that MSI uses on their cards and it's uber quiet, cool, and even very good looking in my opinion. Also a good overclocker if not of the best (but that's dependent on the lottery sometimes).

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
The twin frozr V is just the name of MSI's proprietary GPU cooler (directcu II is asus's).

The gigabyte one will be comparable to the asus/msi models. It will be louder, though, especially at higher fan speeds. The gigabyte windforce cooler is engineered more for maximum heat dissipation than for quiet acoustics.

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014

Um, no...I own a Gigabyte Cooler and I'm not sure if they made changes over from the 980 to 960 but my one is VERY silent and of course, extremely cool. When I mean silent I mean a light hum at 60% that I can definitely tolerate. And in the summer I can crank it up all the way to 80% and I still won't hear it as much because of the fans that are cooling ME in the background.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I have two Gigabyte 980 G1s, and I can definitely hear the fans if I crank them up. They're inaudible up to about 60%, at which point I can begin to hear the fans as well as the airflow. Once they go above 70% I can hear them clearly and above 85% they become quite loud.

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I guess that is my experience as well but they never really bother me to be honest...

TRENDING THREADS