Question EVGA RTX 3070 Fan Ramp up and Down

Dec 29, 2021
I have been searching for the longest fix to this (without having to RMA) but I cannot get my GPU fans to stop ramping up and down. I have tried fan curves on MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X1 and it will consistently happen. I deleted the settings, files for each reinstalled. Downloaded the drivers, downgraded them reinstalled the new ones. I even tried old Precision X1 Drivers. I just cannot get the fans to not stop ramping up in speed. It will even happen when my computer is just idling. I have even set the fan curve to start at a 70% fan speed to ramp up SLOWLY as the temperature increases, and it still does it. I cant repaste as I would void the warranty. It is not overclocked at all, just factory plugged from EVGA themselves.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has had fixes? Or am I just going to have to RMA my card?

Thanks, everyone, and Happy Holidays!

Dec 29, 2021
Wondering if it's a defective temp sensor on the card or a bad mount...

What temp does the card run at?

Does it exhibit the same behavior if the computer case is open/panel removed?

It does have the same behavior when the case is opened and when both side panels are off.

When playing per se Warframe as I was today my card was sitting around 62 degrees celsius and would start doing the ramp up and down.

The interesting thing is though when I Alt+Tab out of Warframe the temperature of the graphics card would instantly drop from 62 degrees celsius to around 45 degrees celsius and then ramp right back up after. According to MSI afterburner

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I guess the plus side is it's not overheating. 62C is pretty darn cool.

Odd that MSI afterburner can't keep the fan speeds stable.

I would certainly reach out to EVGA and see if that's "Normal" behavior or not. Might have a fan controller component that is faulty.

Wonder if it would be caused by hardware or firmware

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu hotspot?
Vram temperature?

I recall reading somewhere that Precision should be used for EVGA's cards instead of Afterburner. The latter didn't work correctly with the fan controller.
That was awhile ago, so maybe that has changed...

Dec 29, 2021
Gpu hotspot?
Vram temperature?

I recall reading somewhere that Precision should be used for EVGA's cards instead of Afterburner. The latter didn't work correctly with the fan controller.
That was awhile ago, so maybe that has changed...

So when I did use Precision it was actually a lot worse. The fans would ramp up and down way more and hit higher RPMs on the fans compared to the same fan curve I implemented on MSI Afterburner. I don't know the Vram Temperature and the hotspot temps off the top of my head but I will go ahead and redownload precision X1 and try everything and get back to you shortly on the temperatures!

Dec 29, 2021
So when I did use Precision it was actually a lot worse. The fans would ramp up and down way more and hit higher RPMs on the fans compared to the same fan curve I implemented on MSI Afterburner. I don't know the Vram Temperature and the hotspot temps off the top of my head but I will go ahead and redownload precision X1 and try everything and get back to you shortly on the temperatures!
After reinstalling and looking at all the VRAM temps and other temps, in general, look fine! But I have an issue where GPU1 reading is displaying good readings, but GPU2 temperature sensor is not displaying a temperature at all, it only displays 0 even when I start playing the game and the temperatures rise up to the mid 60 degrees celsius the gpu2 just sits at 0 degrees celsius. I think it just might need to be RMA'd