EVGA Supernova 650GS -- Help?

TheHandThatThieves

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Hi everyone - occasional reader, first-time poster here looking for some advice. With the last paycheck from my previous job syncing up perfectly with the first paycheck from my new job I decided to treat myself by building a new rig. It's not the first time I've built a PC - my first rig was put together back in the summer of 2014 - so I've found the experience more or less a smooth one. The motherboard (MSI Z170-A Pro) is mounted in the case (Corsair 500R) with all of the necessary components installed, and I'm now cabling everything to the power supply (as stated in the title it's an EVGA Supernova 650GS) and here is where I've run into some difficulty.

I'm looking at the PCI-E cable for my GPU (EVGA GTX 970) and noting that there are 2 sets of 2 extra pins that don't plug in anywhere and the manual says not to connect the cable to the GPU without first removing the extra pins - how do I do this?

I'm so close to finishing the build and this roadblock is the source of much frustration - any and all advice is gratefully received and I apologise if this is a blindingly obvious solution; it's not an issue that arose when building my last PC.

Thanks!

TheHandThatThieves

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

Thanks for the input - I'm sorry if this is a frustrating response but I don't understand how they are supposed to slide off. Is there a video somewhere that demonstrates this?

TheHandThatThieves

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

See, this is what I would have expected to be the case but the manual explicitly says "Do not attempt to plug an 8-pin PCI-E cable into a 6-pin connector without first detaching the two extra pins" ???