EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE Fan has lost 2 blades

VApanthers51

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Ive had it for about 3 years and and it still runs great but the fan has lost 2 blades in the last 2 days and i would really like to replace the fan since they are very similar to a regular case fan. however it looks like the fan on this particular PSU is wired directly into the main board. I can't find any guides on how to replace was wondering if anyone has any suggestions

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I suggest a new unit if the warranty has lapsed.

as a TEMPORARY* solution only. keyword temporary. you can try removing more blades to balance the fan, this will remove stress from the spindle and also lower the cooling ability of the fan.
how many blades did the fan come with, which are broken?

*caps for emphasis

VApanthers51

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

I believe there are 9 blades in total and 2 have broken off. however i have heard of people drilling a hole in the side of the unit casing and running a regular case fan to the mobo to keep it cool

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I will not open a power supply. been at this 2 decades. they can kill.
I would only suggest removing the fan grille. drilling a hole will require more intimate contact with extremely high voltage parts than I am comfortable with.

if the fan has 9 blades and you can remove every third blade leaving three pairs of blades.
if the missing blades are right next to each other you will have to remove too many blades, three blades will not do the job. six maybe not three.

again temporary

VApanthers51

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

i see so at this point im better off just scrapping it or something of that nature? i was wanting to find a way to fix the fan in some way so i could sell it. any suggestions for getting rid of it? i dont feel right just throwing it in the trash

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

electronics stores, computer shops. call the local garbage collectors and see if they have a procedure for collecting electronics. my local landfill has a drop off for electronics and other hazardous materials.