EVGA Tegra Note 7 Review: Nvidia's Tegra 4 For $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Front facing speakers are really nice. One of the very few complaints I have about my Nexus 7 is volume.

This thing is a powerhouse for the money.

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
No 1080p, no sales. Otherwise great device, and good price, but DOA because of the screen. The Chinese knock offs will outsell it.

TheSchmed

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I am considering buying this tablet, but I'm weighing it against the less-expensive Dell Venue 7 and 8 (Android, not W8). I hope Tom's will review the Dell tablets and evaluate Intel processor performance and battery life!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
CF BENCH:
"Sony has been optimising for Snapdragon-based devices since the Xperia range took on the Krait core, and its experience shows as the Xperia Z1 comfortably leads the Tegra Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 in both Managed and Native."

xperia java=32352
Tegra Note7=32648.5

Unless I'm not understanding what is going on here, 32648 is the longer bar/better score right? So while it lost NATIVE, it did not lose Java Managed right? It seems Sony won NATIVE and TEGRA note 7 won Java Managed. You need to fix the text.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Why does everyone complain about no 1080p? The difference between 1280x800 to 1920X1080p on a 7" screen is minimal while it requires signifigantly more performance and power. Also, its a $199 tablet, what where you expecting?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
While benchmarking did you check to see if the any of the devices you were testing were boosting the SOC clock rates beyond the advertised clock speeds in certain benchmarks? Anandtech looked at this issue a while ago, it would be good to see publications like Toms testing for this sorting of thing and name and shame culprits.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Shows the power of the T4, I just wish they'd put it in something I want. And I agree 1080p min on anything that is above a phone' 5in size. But I also understand some just don't care so really a personally complaint about that. I'll wait for T5 and hope they get it into 1080/1200p on 13in or 20in ;) I have no use for 10 or below after using nexus10. Print etc, stuff is just too dang small. Maybe spoiled by 24in/22in dual monitors. I just can do squat on something that small and enjoy it other than some games and I'm not even sure about that. I hope they make a 7in shield 2 :) (maybe a 10in?...LOL).

Smaller and THINNER (you took how much of my batter for thinner?) are USELESS to me. Give me back that larger and FAT model please, so I can run with more power or longer life (or some combo of both). As soon as I see "THINNER" in any description I just put my wallet back and shake my head :( Did I want thinner 10-15 years ago, yeah...Now that party ended ages ago for me.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"Why does everyone complain about no 1080p? The difference between 1280x800 to 1920X1080p on a 7" screen is minimal while it requires signifigantly more performance and power. Also, its a $199 tablet, what where you expecting?"

I agree completely do you really need the screen to be 1080p on a 7" tablet screen.

There are people that strain their eyes reading 1080p on a standard 21.5" computer monitor.

The other thing is that the HDMI will still output to 1080p when connected to a proper display.

Also as mentioned having a more reasonable resolution size on the tablet screen reduces both power and performance requirements for standard tablet use.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Only thing I disliked with the review is using chrome for the android browser last I knew Dolphin is the best rated browser for Android.

personally i prefer better performance over higher resolution as well. as an owner to the original N7 i'm perfectly fine with it's 720p resolution.

i do heard some rumor about nvidia making 10 inch tablet in similar fashion they did with Tegra Note 7 (the white box thing) but it will be based on T5 instead of T4.

i do heard some rumor about nvidia making 10 inch tablet in similar fashion they did with Tegra Note 7 (the white box thing) but it will be based on T5 instead of T4.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Well, after the glorious lack of support from Nvidia and manufacturers on every tablet and phone ever released containing a Tegra chip not named "Nexus" I'm going to take the wait and see approach.
I don't know if its closed proprietary drivers on Nvidia's part or downright laziness by the manufacturer, but after owning 2 Tegra tablets that never received updates NOT from XDA, kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth buying ANYTHING Android with their chips inside.

in the past it depends a lot on OEM. but tight now nvidia really seems about serious with android. their own SHIELD already got updated to android 4.3 a few weeks ago. Tegra Note 7 will be shipped with Android 4.2.2 (the same version as used in review unit) but nvidia told reviewer that 4.3 update will coming in december together with the feature that enable always on HDR with the camera for the tablet. note that for this tablet the updates will be done by nvidia directly instead of letting the OEM to handle them just like they did with their Sheild. at the very least that shows nvidia were serious about giving updates for this product

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
The screen res is lower than some of the same form factor tabs, but it still looks nice. On screens that small, the pixel density is still pretty high, but there is no doubt competing tabs have an edge with the higher res...

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
The screen res is lower than some of the same form factor tabs, but it still looks nice. On screens that small, the pixel density is still pretty high, but there is no doubt competing tabs have an edge with the higher res...

Status
Not open for further replies.