EVO 850 500 GB SSD SATA shows as SCSI in Vista

neverhappy0911

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum so I apologize if I am posting at the wrong place.I have a problem with an EVO850 500 GB which I have reticently installed in a laptop Acer Aspire 6530-5099.The original HDD was cloned using Macrium Reflect with the TRIM option enabled to the SSD.The SSD shows as SCSI.I have done the following:The BIOS is updated to the latest available (v3033,2009),Vista is up to date with everything,BIOS shows the SSD correctly identified and connected to SATA 2,AHCI is enabled (shows in the BIOS,Samsung Magician and HWINFO32.All show the SSD is properly connected to the SATA 2 as well),the Registry key HKLM/.../CurrentControlSet/msahci is enabled,checked and confirmed no JMicron eSATA and/or Marvel port drivers installed and no RAID possible (the BIOS has no option for it and only 1 HDD interface available),uninstalled and forced rediscover via reboot but Vista again installed the SCSI driver. Everything leads to OS misconfig (the H/W drive side seems to be working fine the OS driver selection/config seems off possibly due to the cloning as the HDD was identifying as SATA 2 before).The laptop boot and runs just fine and considerably faster than before.I run benchmark test on the SSD using the Magician utility :

EVO 850 500GB on the Acer Aspire 6530-5099
Sequential read 242 MBps;sequential write 231 MBps
Random read 11453 IOPS ;Random write:10663 IOPS

Reference EVO850 250GB on my desktop (FX9590,Asus CVFZ,32GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws Z 2400,chipset FX990+950,OS Win 8.1 Pro)
Sequential read 415 MBps;sequential write 413 MBps
Random read 63067 IOPS ;Random write:49671 IOPS

I realize that the desktop is not much of a reference considering the system specs.I just wanted to have something to compare with.Both SSD are of the same family and as far as I know use the same controller

I am running out of ideas ... Please help Thank you

System specs

Acer Aspire 6530-5099

CPU :Athlonx2 1.8 GHz
GPU : Radeon HD3200 embedded
Chipset : AMD NB780+SB700 mobile versions
Memory 4GB DDR2 200 pin GSkill 667

Solution
Problem solved by manually uninstalling the default Microsoft driver from the Device Manager with the option for removal of the driver files checked.During the subsequent boot in BIOS the IDE option was selected and the Vista was allowed to install the appropriated driver.Finally the system was rebooted and the AHCI was re-enabled in the BIOS.The result was he EVO shows now as Serial ATA in the Device Manager.All Magician utilities and SMART status are available and Performance Optimization was successfully carried out

neverhappy0911

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Problem solved by manually uninstalling the default Microsoft driver from the Device Manager with the option for removal of the driver files checked.During the subsequent boot in BIOS the IDE option was selected and the Vista was allowed to install the appropriated driver.Finally the system was rebooted and the AHCI was re-enabled in the BIOS.The result was he EVO shows now as Serial ATA in the Device Manager.All Magician utilities and SMART status are available and Performance Optimization was successfully carried out

Solution