"Evolved" Exynos 5 Octa Soc Teased for Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Kind of ridiculous to say not to buy something that doesn't exist. The reality in my opinion is that the current processors are more than capable until a newer generation of software will demand more raw power. The effort should really be in reducing power consumption across the board, not just from a SOC perspective. - http://www.allprepaidplans.com

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
More computational power in what is essentially a pocket computer is never 'ridiculous'.
When you consider the amount of things you can do on the go with enough power, then you would probably think differently.
Of course, the size of the displays is a limiting factor, but then again this is consumer grade technology and nowhere near of our real technical capabilities (by contrast, this would be something out of the 'stone age' compared to what we could do by using latest science, advanced synthetic materials and state of the art methods of production).

Anyway, I don't see the point in having two sets of 4 core cpu's in a hardware that will all of the time behave like a 4 core one.
If its for power conservation, then simply set the cores to automatically lower the voltage and speed of the A15 chip down to the lowest possible level and have applications use specific amounts of performance/power for optimal results when needed, unless they are specifically written to take advantage of the full power of the chip (otherwise its just sloppy written program)

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
More computational power in what is essentially a pocket computer is never 'ridiculous'.
When you consider the amount of things you can do on the go with enough power, then you would probably think differently.
Of course, the size of the displays is a limiting factor, but then again this is consumer grade technology and nowhere near of our real technical capabilities (by contrast, this would be something out of the 'stone age' compared to what we could do by using latest science, advanced synthetic materials and state of the art methods of production).

Anyway, I don't see the point in having two sets of 4 core cpu's in a hardware that will all of the time behave like a 4 core one.
If its for power conservation, then simply set the cores to automatically lower the voltage and speed of the A15 chip down to the lowest possible level and have applications use specific amounts of performance/power for optimal results when needed, unless they are specifically written to take advantage of the full power of the chip (otherwise its just sloppy written program)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Wake me when you talk 20nm for next gen. This, if true, will only be worse than the current one without 20nm (or they'd be bragging about power usage). The only BETTER chip would be one that uses less power with the SAME perf for current gen. Until a die shrink any more power just equals shorter battery life.

halcyon

Splendid
Everyone says they want bigger batteries. I feel like as long as my phone lasts all day things aren't bad. I've not done any testing but I subjectively feel like I'm getting at least this on my 'just-average' phone. ...and since I can swap out the battery if I want all's good. So no, I don't need a 1lb brick that lasts even longer. I'm all for a better/faster/more featured experience on my handheld and tablet.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I don't know why is took Sammy so long? They have an plant to make their chips. I'm sure it would've been better for business if they had their own ARM products in Samsung products.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I don't agree with the 8 core big little strategy i think they should take all the silicon space wasted making the extra little cores work in the design and just make a more capable 4 core that uses the extra silicon for power and speed enhancements instead of 4 more cores. Or just have a smaller chip that is cheaper and less complex. Smaller surface area + less complexity = a good amount more cpu's per wafer driving their profits up for each phone sold. They can just undervolt and downclock and overvolt and overclock or anywhere inbetween based on the demands of the load with the switching happening in 10-20 milliseconds in real time basically. So you can still have a very low power usage mode and a higher power usage mode in a chip with a greatly reduced cost due to higher yields and smaller surface area or if they keep it the same size and use the space the little 4 was taking up to do something that would really boost the performance or power savings thats an option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.