''Evolved'' Exynos 5 Octa Still Has Two Core Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think a 6 core design would have been better. 2 cores is all that is needed to run the OS well so it should have 2 power saving cores and 4 performance cores. This would save more energy

eastyy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
still puzzled why a intelligent quad core would be any different if the quad core turned of cores and reduced clock speed when needed

eastyy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
still puzzled why a intelligent quad core would be any different if the quad core turned of cores and reduced clock speed when needed

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks to Samsung's closed sources, their exynos devices will never get stable cyanogenmod/AOKP roms. This one won't be any different.
Just take a look at the SGS4 xda page. The amount of development happening with the exynos octa (i9500) variant is pathetic compared to the snapdragon (i9505 LTE) variant.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
"What Samsung has done is ripped out the three PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU cores (which clocked at 533 MHz) and threw in six ARM Mali-T628 GPU cores."

Sorry, I'd have put "thrown" (i.e. they have thrown as opposed to they have threw).

i'm don't follow much about SoC stuff but why need up to four cores for the 'slow' cores? the slow cores supposed to handle low cpu intensive work so does it really need that many cores (in this case 4) to handle all the light task?

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
The english on this article is broken. Several phrases lose their sense easily as you read. Words are misplaced and carelessly written.

Come on, i'm a foreigner and i can write better than that!

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I read that this will be targeted for the next Chromebook and it will allow the use of any combination of the eight cores with a kernel patch that the Linaro group has authored.

halcyon

Splendid

All of Tom's writers are not American or English. Be fair.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Mass production in Aug, so maybe a device in Jan. This misses xmas and if it actually squeaks into something for xmas it won't be in mass quantities. S800 and T4 will rule xmas tablets. Wait and see on phones and power use. The only question for me at this point is which is in Nexus10r2. I hope it's T4 as I want it for light gaming and prefer NV over anything else currently for game optimizations (nobody else has tegrazone like games yet) which of course NV will always be good at as a 20yr veteran of games (amd should do well here too if they last that long).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS