Ex-Alienware Founder Launches Origin, New Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Bah. I had hopes a boutique would come onto the scene and NOT overprice everything just because it's "custom" or "hand-built" etc. Doesn't seem as though this is it. I'll stick to "hand-building" my own.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
i didnt think the desktop price was toooo bad of a deal. i mean dual cards, w/ blu ray drives, and OC'd CPU's (prolly intel i5/i7's) so 1700 isnt bad when you factor in a kick ass case, (hopefully) very good air system, and good wire management.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]i didnt think the desktop price was toooo bad of a deal. i mean dual cards, w/ blu ray drives, and OC'd CPU's (prolly intel i5/i7's) so 1700 isnt bad when you factor in a kick ass case, (hopefully) very good air system, and good wire management.[/citation]
If you actually take in account the picture, it does looks like a case with multiple divisions for air cooling and it's possible to spot a watercooling completing everything.
I think it's a good thing that there's an INDEPENDENT company like this one that would still exist, even though they're expensive and overpriced for most of the folks but it's still better than all the companies that prefer being "cheap" (like what Alienware had to become after Dell's acquisition and so did Voodoo PC) and not invest a lot of money to create new rigs that are always better than the old ones.
Looking forward for theses to be nice, at least have something to dream about... we all can build a kickass i7 rig for under 2k, but we can't stamp a 2-3 years warranty and include a custom painting that will drive nuts our friend if they don't understand anything in computers.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
"I could easily do this in my country and hire an artist for a measly 50dollars.... my system would be able to match this system for a measly $1000-1200..... That being said.... its still ALOT cheaper to DIY.... The dual cards used and coolers and mb arent even mentioned for the price of $1700, I could even get a SSD with that.... I would assume this is a core i7 920.....

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nice to see they are contracting a custom air brushing company, not just slapping stickers on or using a automated process.
A fried just paid over $4,000 for a i7-920, GTX 285 2GB, 12GB DDR3, a $150 case that came with water cooling (cheap as hell).
I wanted to slap him...
Something like this however would be a perfect option for him.

Face it, DIY is a pain in the ass. For most, it doesn't really matter what they have under the hood, as long as it gets what they need done.

When building, I damn near wanted to send the whole thing back. (And now, to test for some bunk RAM, I need to remove all slots and test them 1 at a time in the first slot, which is blocked by my HSF, so I need to remove that, which I need to remove the entire MB to do, which I need to remove my HDDs, remove my careful cable management etc. and then spend a day just checking memory, and after all that, go and buy some more thermal paste for my HSF).

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Check out the Bestbuy website....depending on the specs, these Origin pc's may be priced to compete with them. Alienware Area-51 for $2400...and it's performance is only slightly better than the Aurora that is $1500. Only real difference is the Area-51 is spec'd with an HD5870 instead of a GTX260 like the Aurora has. So, if you get SLI or Tri-SLI for $1700....Origin is actually cheaper than Alienware for what you get.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
There's a market for those machines, albeit a small one. Yes, they are overpriced for the savvy geeks here, but there will always be people without the know-how, or don't have time, or simply have to much money on their hands.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Bah. I had hopes a boutique would come onto the scene and NOT overprice everything just because it's "custom" or "hand-built" etc. Doesn't seem as though this is it. I'll stick to "hand-building" my own.[/citation]
Well, keep in mind that his business model isn't aimed at US. Most of us here build our own custom rigs that easily rival or surpass anything Origin or Alienware could produce; and some of you can probably even do some pretty nice custom paint jobs if you wanted. Wasielewski's market is the gaming enthusiast who doesn't know how to build his or her own custom rig (or who lacks the time), but still wants the performance and the look.

It's kinda like the custom car market. There are people who don't know squat about modded cars, but would still like to have a 10-second car.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
If I ever buy one, I'll be sending them my ALIENWARE case and moving everything that's inside of it right now into a cheaper case as a spare.

I bought my Area-51 just before the Dell acquisition. Still a great machine, but it's no longer my main rig. I'm now using the case as the home for my hand built machine, which IS my main machine.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I would never have bought an Alienware just because I like to build my own. I did always check out the site though, just because they looked cool. I was kind of upset when I heard Dell acquired them. I'm glad they are back on their own in some form at least.

Neslepax

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
So they are going to offer custom paint jobs with automobile quality paints? I do believe that Falcon Northwest has been offering that for years, also at the same ridiculous markup. Someone is a little late to the party...

Status
Not open for further replies.