EX58 UD3R failure - debugging?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Favret

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hello everyone,

I just have a similar problem as everyone else here, thing is that after getting those continuous beeps (accordingly to manule a power problem) the system can boot as normal and go into Windows, then I can work and do gaming for hours with no problems at all, should I just get used to it and live with it? think something is not working perfectly and the systems just warning me so seems there is something I should fix.

Please any comments will be much appreciated.

Favret

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 920 @2.66
RAM: 6GB (2Gx3) Kingston
GPU: BFG 8880 GTX
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power PRO 850W (brand new)
Windows 7

Favret

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for asnswering, but I have already read that suggested thread and have found no answer for my problem as stated, seems everyone simply cannot even boot the system, and my problem is not exactly that, I can really boot my system, the only think annoying is that before the system boots I get these continuous beeps, and then the system just starts, I just wanted to know if someone has had some similar experience, thanks for the support.

Favret

alfadavies

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Hi Guy's,

I thought I'd give my input on this matter, as I work with lots of I7 systems each day, for me this is a known issue with the gigabyte EX58-UD3R and the Asus P6T, so far as I can tell.

The only fix has been to replace the motherboard, pain I know but its what I've found.

Hope this helps

AlfaDavies

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hi - not sure if this was mentioned already or not.

Apparently, there's a compatibility issue with this motherboard and some POWER SUPPLYs.

It's not a RAM or CPU issue (although some RAM isn't compatible either, but that's not uncommon with mobos). For some reason, certain Power Supplys can cause occasional or looping reboots pre-POST with this motherboard.

I use an Antec PSU and my board works fine - I did have a single auto-reboot maybe one time upon turning on the PC, but I thin it was a self-correcting reboot to re-regulate some sort of power issue and after that one reboot it's worked fine ever since.

However, some people with other PSUs have reported unlimited reboots without being able to get into the POST or BIOS. I'm not exactly sure what is going on in certain PSU's that is causing the misfire. Whether it's a delayed fan spinning or a regulation anomaly or what - but the motherboard is seeing it as an issue (think false-positive) and it triggers a reboot. Usually after the reboot, the PSU is up and running at full speed and there's no anomalies and it goes right into the POST and then loads the OS. But I'm just guessing on this.

If you're willing to be patient and have the time and extra PSUs laying round, I suggest trying different PSUs to find one the works better. (Antec PSUs work pretty good with this mobo, from my own experience - I've used an Antec 450 Watt True Power and an Antec 650 Watt True Power with it and both booted fine without issue. My older 350 Watt Thermaltake PSU, however, had a couple reboots - but it might not have had enough juice to handle all the hardware.)

Or if you don't want to bother with it, maybe get a different board. Depends on your patience level. This is a great board and the best overlocker IMO. Can't beat the price. But if you don't feel like doing trial and error with swapping out PSU's, then you might as well just pay extra for a different board.

Just something to consider.

johhnny

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
i seem to be having the same problem with the gigabyte mobo. just boots, 4secs shuts down, starts again, shuts down etc etc. i did have it up and running with xp but found that if i used the Easy Tune software to overclock in windows it greyed out all the bios screens?? while putting a 32 bit Vista system in it started the boot/restart problem. i now have no sight of the boot screen. Have reset cmos and changed the power supply without any luck. i got my stuff from Scan.co.uk and have arranged to return the mobo but during a call to them they assured me there were no problems emerging on the mobo. I mentioned that the forums were saying otherwise and they told me that forums were not to be believed?? my set up is an i7 920 processor, 3X2gb crucial ddr3, gigabyte mobo,titan fenrir cooler and 8800gt graphics

damdam75

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Please help! got gigabyte ex58 ud3r, i7, 6gb corsair ram, 650w be quiet dark pro, hd 4350 g card, spin point pro samsung hdd, cant remember optical drive make. antec 900 case. All fans turn on, 4x phase lights come on on mobo, green green amber red. Nothing on monitor. tried unplugging everything, no change! please please help!!

jimgrif

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Same issues. This board work great for a couple of weeks. I did a couple of vista updates that required rebooting (Was about to go to 7 next week), and then the board would never boot back up. It would power on then turn off after about 4 seconds and stay in this cycle. Had a diablotek 650 psu and a rosewill psu and both did the same thing. Tried removing the Corsair 6 gig memory and other things mentioned before but no luck. I've ordered an ASUS replacement for this board and hopes it will do better. I previously had a Gigabyte motherboard with a Core 2 Duo and it worked great for a few years. This one died after 2 weeks.

jimgrif

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
The other thing to add, is that with the 12v power connector not connected, the board will stay on.(Of course no video which does me not good). As soon as I connect the 12v connector, it goes back to the power on and off cycle. Does this with the two different power supplies.

CRGBUY

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Exactly the same problem and it has been going on for ages.

We built 2 identical machines using this board with i7 920 and gainward nvidia 285's in august.. Identical apart from ram.. kingston in one and corsair in the other. (3x2gb sticks)

After a few weeks the one machine developed this issue. I sent it back to gigabyte they fixed the problem then after about a week of running the machine the same happened so i sent it back again requesting the board not be fixed but replaced.

The board was apparently replaced although its hard to tell as they used the same serial number?

I ran the system without a hitch for a week and guess what its happened again. Even though I tested every other component thoroughly I started to think it must be me.... then all of a sudden the other identical machine which has been working since august developed the same issue I mean come on this really cant be 2 dodgy cpu's or 6 dodgy sticks of ram.

I am now sending both boards with cpu's and ram still attached, I have asked them to keep the damn things for a week to thoroughly test..

After reading all these posts I feel slightly like gigabyte are sweeping this issue under the carpet.

At the end of the day we did not buy pcchips motherboards we bought very expensive gigabyte boards and while i appreciate any company can have a bad batch I think I will go back to asus next time unless this gets sorted.

Do yourself a favour and DO NOT BUY GIGABYTE EX58 BOARDS.

G

Hi

I have similar problems with my new build. It simply won't start or boot up

Sometimes with one 2gb memory it starts for 4 or 5 seconds and the fans spin etc... and then all switches off

Spec as below

intel i7 920
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3
6 x 2gb 1600 mhz Crucial Ballistix ddr3
antec cp850 psu

All parts are new on the system i have built

I have tested the psu which is fine

Does anyone think it is a compatability issue with the crucial memory or is it the motherboard?

What is the best form of action?

change the motherboard or the memory?

Anyone had experiencxe with the Asus P6T using crucual balistix memory? Could this be a better option

Any help would be appreciated

This is driving me crazy. I have tryed evrything possible apart from changing the memory or motherboard

G

Just to correct my mistake above

The mother board is gigabyte EX58-UD3R

G

Hi, I am having loads of problems as well with my gigabyte ex58 udr3r. Did you manage to get the the bottom of your problem?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Many have posted reporting problems with the Gigabyte x58 boards but no solutions have been reported. Therefore I suggest those with issues to directly to the Gigabyte official forum at tweaktown.com:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

I think you will find similar problems have been reported and solved many times.

G

Thanks

Do you know if the Asus P6T SE has better compatiblity with ddr3 modules?

I am thinking if to just change my motherboard for the asus to cut out further problems as i see many seem to have problems with this gigabyte board

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Thanks

Do you know if the Asus P6T SE has better compatiblity with ddr3 modules?

I am thinking if to just change my motherboard for the asus to cut out further problems as i see many seem to have problems with this gigabyte board

I have no idea about Asus issues with ddr3 modules.

I thought Gigabte issues were with the X58 board when newly issued and had been fixed. In any case, it seems to me that mobo issues - memory and otherwise - were quickly fixed at tweaktown. I expect they sold a lot of mobos and those reporting problems are a small percentage of the total.

I had memory problems with my Gigabyte P35 board when I first got it, but Lsdmeaculp helped me out on Thanksgiving day - just had to change some memory timings. I saw and see no reason to defect from Gigabyte and give up the advantage of the UD construction. But of course, some others prefer ASUS.

Note that Gigabyte ultradurable boards were selected by THG in their recent $2,500 Performance and $1,300 Enthusiast Builds:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-new-pc,2497.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-own-pc,2503.html

G

Thanks for you help

I think that maybe i have a bad motherboard or maybe the crucial memory is not compatible like i have seen with others..

I am just really confused what the matter is. If i could have at least get to the bios then that would be something. I will keep searching for a solution and maybe try some alternative memory to try

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Have you tried with one stick of memory?

When I had problems with P35 mobo - it was with Crucial memory - and the model I had was on the mobo compatibility list. Again was not a "bad" mobo issue - memory at default settings was not compatible. As soon as someone at tweaktown helped me change the settings - I was good to go.

Of course. had to get to Bios to change settings, and that is where running only one stick of memory was the fix to get to BIOS.

But again - try tweaktown before scrapping mobo. And they have Gigabyte officials there that I beleive can authorize RMA.

G

Yes i have tryed with one stick of memory but can't get to the bios. at least with one stick of memory it comes on for about 4 seconds and then off so i can't get into the bios.

Do you think if i put in a different stick of memory that is compatible and change settings in the bios that after i would be able to use the crucial memory?

What crucial memory care you using? I have 3 x 2gb 1600

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Mine was an older P35 mobo - memory was DDR2 800 - 4 x 1 GB with 32 bit Vista. I had some programs that still had not migrated to 64 bit.

Again I am not familiar with the problems with your board - but certainly if it is a memory issue then using a more compatible memory to access BIO and revise settings is a theoretical possibility.

But in any case I think you will find much better help at tweaktown. And if you do, please come back and report the fix here for the benefit of others.

G

i tihnk why i know this isnt not working.

i have the same problem with the exact same parts as you i did some sniffing aorund on the ocz page and i came up with the memory checker on this mobtherboard it seems thats the ddr3 pc3 12800 do not work on this board now im not 100% what i will be is change my memory with my brothers memory he also has the same board as me (hopefully not same memory) if it boots up first time with no problem then i can safetly say that its defo the memory that is causing this problem.

i will also post the link for the memory checker so you can see for ur self if the ocz memory can work with board good luck.

http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.com/ocztech/result.asp?fk_class=6569&manufacturer_id=781&model_id=751293

hopefully someone will see this post and will be able to make something of it.

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

I can't get the links to work or find much info at tweaktown for the ud3r, have the posts been deleted?

eccathacker

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I'm in the club.
Built the system, it ran for 13 months and suddenly it won't boot up.
Cycles on and off exactly like everyone else here.