Andytizer

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I have been out of the PC building game for quite a while so apologies for my noobishness.

I am attempting to build the UD5P with 4 1TB WD SATA drives, and I intend to RAID0 them into 1 space. However, my x64 Vista only ever sees 2 drives when I attempt to install, and all I ever see are 2 drives when I boot up when I have 4 connected. I connected everything to the white SATA ports on the motherboard, as I read that this is the hardware SATA controller. Am I going about it the right way?

Thanks,

Andytizer

You should use the ICH10R (Intel Matrix Raid) ports (blue connectors).

Did you read this note?

(Note 4) A JMB322 chip supports two SATA 3Gb/s connectors, so the four SATA 3Gb/s connectors are divided into to two pairs: GSATA2_0 and GSATA2_1 as a pair and GSATA2_2 and GSATA2_3 as a pair.

bilbat

Splendid
Use the blue ports - they are run off the Intel ICH10R, and are 12-15% faster at RAID, as well as having better support; on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, set "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "RAID"; set "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled"; follow procedure starting on p.93 of your manual to create the RAID array; then, follow the procedure on P.99 to create the driver disk (select 2-"Intel Matrix Storage driver for 64bit system for Windows 64-bit") that you will need to install windows. When the win install starts, watch for the 'load drivers' item at the lower left - click on it, navigate to your new drivers, click OK, and, voila, windows will see the RAID array...

brian8118

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
bilbat
I have a similiar setup,..but have a 500gig HD for my OS (already installed) and four 1TB's for my RAID10,...I have not installed the RAID yet.

Can I install a RAID 10 on those four hard drives still? I read everywhere that people install the RAID and install their OS on the RAID drives,...I don't want to do this though.

One more question. What about a dedicated Raid card,...can you recommend a card that will work with the GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard? I would rather go this route,..but I can't seem to find one that is compatible anywhere and is easy to set up. Not an expert installing RAID cards. Also, does it matter which PCIe-x16 slot I use?

My system is setup as follows:

CPU - i7 920
Motherboard - Gigabyte "GA-EX58-UD5"
RAM - 12gigs Corsair
OS - Windows Vista x64
Video Card - GeFource GTX 285 overclocked
Storage - one 500gig HD (OS), Four SATA 1TB's HD's (want to be used for RAID 10)
Used for 3D Rendering, Animation, Editing.

Motherboard: (Gigabyte - GA-EX58-UD5)
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mo [...] uctID=2961

Thanks for the help

Thanks,
Brian