Question Excel file, cant access

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriiilllee

Reputable
Nov 20, 2017
Hello! I need some help with my Excel file. I cant access it at all, cant move or copy it or anything.
When i worked at my previous company i made an excel file with private and personal info with accounts and passwords and stuff
to be safe i made the workbook passwordprotected, ( i know the password)
But now i cant open the file or do anything at all with the file from my own computer.

kriiilllee

Reputable
Nov 20, 2017
thats not what i said, please read the info i wrote at the start of this thread.
If u read my first post i said that i made the file at my previous company and i password protected it but i still have the password to the file.
Its litterly written in my first post. :)

encrypted excell isnt issue, excel would open it and throw at you enter password window

i saw this error few times when excel file didnt even had read permissions or somebody else on network had it opened
going by logic with coping file from company PC (where all accounts have some privileges) and moving that file outside of company network would make even basic read permissions out of reach

and file security options would look like this:
image_thumb11.png

Also to be mentioned that some organizations may have put some "lock" on an Excel file. I know because I'd have one sent to me - it wasn't encrypted but when tried to open in Excel it came a warning about some legal stuff about content was of critical character and it was obvious that only within the organization, was it possible to open and view that file.

You guys may have a name / term for this feature.

Ralston18

Titan
@kriiilllee

Regarding:

"When i worked at my previous company i made an excel file with private and personal info with accounts and passwords and stuff "

For the most part that is something that should not be done but the reasons are likely moot in any case.

You may have made the Excel file and put in your private and personal information etc. but your previous company may not consider that Excel file to be yours.

As I understand your post you took a copy of the Excel file with you. Did you have any approvals or permissions from your previous company to do so?

I do not know the how and the why that is preventing that Excel file from being opened.

Nor do I know the full circumstances regarding the Excel file, its' creation, its' ownership, and so forth.

There is no way on this end to know the full truth of the matter.

What you need to do is to make a request to your previous company for a unencrypted or otherwise unprotected copy of the Excel file.

Further assistance with attempting to discover, workaround, or otherwise access a secured file is a violation of Forum rules.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS