Discussion Excess files leftover from reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

allant

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
had to do a reset to recover my computer. As a result have many files likes this one 00a708f92924e63f_0 dont know what they are or if I can delete them. Tried a delete but dont have authorisation.. How can I remove them and is it safe to do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what folder? is it in a folder called window.old?

there are 2 types of reset on that page. one that resets PC back to its OOBE (out of box experience) mode like it is when you first get a PC, and another that remembers logons and details of desktop.

I think the files he is talking about is the windows.old folder since its created after a reset
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-f8b26680-e083-c710-b757-7567d69dbb74

allant

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
took 1st reply to save my files. files are not in a folder called "old" just in C: drive. If they are "old" how do I delete them as when I tried had no authority. Just as an extra this problem came about with password problems in hotmail and after 3 days with so called Microsoft support got no where. People I contacted were customer relations and I couldn't get any of the 3 support to pass me to Tech Support, so took the option to reset my PC.

allant

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
I dont think you guys have any idea of what the solution maybe. whats a screen shot going to tell u?? If you are guessing then please dont contribute any further. Let someone who might have a solution answer. Thanks for your help anyways.

USAFRet

Titan
I dont think you guys have any idea of what the solution maybe. whats a screen shot going to tell u?? If you are guessing then please dont contribute any further. Let someone who might have a solution answer. Thanks for your help anyways.
Currently, there is exactly one person on the planet looking at these files. You.

We out here cannot give any safe advice as to whether to delete or not delete, until we have a better look at what is actually going on.
In addition, "reset" is a very nebulous term and function. That has been used for many different ways of getting a PC from Condition A to Condition B.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You haven't given us enough info to base a guess on. I said a reset can create a windows.old folder as it is true. That was based on the little information you have given us

If you don't have a windows.old folder then the extra files are a mystery still without knowing perhaps what folder they are in.

you can run this, it will show you what type of files they are

allant

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
I gave you all the information I had there are over 100 files in drive C not in a folder I told you I did reset and from where and how. If you dont know then best you say so. I cannnot delete the files as I dont have authorisation as I told that you before. Best not to guess and hope, it just wastes time and effort. Will continue to try and find a solution on the net thank you for your help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem was a corrupt download from the reset . I have since done 2 re installs of windows and have a windows old file and the left over files from the reset have been removed in the process. Part of the reset problem along with a corrupt reset was a corrupt recycle bin. Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem. My advice is not to use reset at all.

I have to agree with his last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.