Exclusive: Intel Tells Us Why AMD is Wrong

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm never buying another Intel product, and I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. Any of you could be completely happy with a Phenom II 940, I promise.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]fuc the bullsh1t[/nom]I'm never buying another Intel product, and I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. Any of you could be completely happy with a Phenom II 940, I promise.[/citation]
Why?

Because they aren't going to let AMD give their patent to anyone they give money to?

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
What if What Intel is saying is true? What if Globalfoundries releases the x86 technology to China? Then what? So I am assuming that all AMD AND Intel fanboys are okay with all the remaining tech jobs going to China, right?

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
As Intel licenses AMD the right to use the original x86 architecture (upon which AMD's x86-64 is based), these rival companies now rely on each other for 64-bit processor development. This has led to a case of mutually assured destruction should either company revoke its respective license.[2] Should such a scenario take place, AMD would no longer be authorized to produce any x86 processors, and Intel would no longer be authorized to produce x86-64 processors, forcing them back to the now-obsolete 32-bit x86 architecture.
wikipedia.com

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Round 1, FIGHT, who won? I guess we will see. It seems this happens from time to time. It will probably get resolved. Not much to see here folks.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Area51[/nom]What if What Intel is saying is true? What if Globalfoundries releases the x86 technology to China? Then what? So I am assuming that all AMD AND Intel fanboys are okay with all the remaining tech jobs going to China, right?[/citation]
Wow!!! I really going to start be afraid. LOL.
In 1987 or 1988 I had chance to test fully functional and copy one to one of IBM PC XT Russian made clone. It worked 100% including the famous bus-buffer bug. They had a small switch that allow to correct the bug or run in compatible mode. They had also and PC/AT, but I did not had the chance to disassemble that one to see if all parts was Russian made. So do you thing that Russia and China don't already have home made x86 CPUs?

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]Wow!!! I really going to start be afraid. LOL. In 1987 or 1988 I had chance to test fully functional and copy one to one of IBM PC XT Russian made clone. It worked 100% including the famous bus-buffer bug. They had a small switch that allow to correct the bug or run in compatible mode. They had also and PC/AT, but I did not had the chance to disassemble that one to see if all parts was Russian made. So do you thing that Russia and China don't already have home made x86 CPUs?[/citation]

This shouldn't be of a problem because even to this day, nothing has been leaked by AMD to Malaysia since their chip manufacturing is done there. Furthermore, currently GLOBALFOUNDRIES only have foundries in Germany and will soon have a factory down in the States. Thus, this scare is little to worry about.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
This will all be over as soon as AMD can prove that GlobalFoundries is a legitment subsidary, which will likely have to be ushered infront of a judge to read the laws, compare the facts, and decide either way.

Honestly, it sounds like AMD has done their homework on this, and isnt likely to loose. But according to AMD, by doing this, Intel has breached the contract on their own, which has yet to be seen since that section of the contract has not been made public.

What I dont understand is why in the hell intel would make this kind of thing public. No matter which way they spin it, win or loose, they're going to be the bad guys to the consumer who pays their lovely bonus checks. Makes no sense at all.

mwinfie

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
If you read the terms of their agreement, they consider a subsidiary to be a company where AMD has 50% of shares or voting rights and earns more than 30% of the profit of said company.

AMD then goes to say that these terms are met. To me, this is an open and shut case. I think AMD is using the terms to their advantage. Whether you consider it a loop hole or not, they are playing by the rules IMO.

Also, someone said that this is an issue of whether AMD has any actual control over Global Foundries or if they are simply an investor. If this is indeed the main issue, I think AMD and Global Foundries will simply work out a deal so that AMD DOES have actual control and is not just an investor because come one, there are billions being dumped into GF, they won't just roll over now..

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]instead of making better chips, they are pissing their time and money on this crap.[/citation]
You obviously know nothing of business.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I am not good with all this legal jargon... What exactly is going on here? Put it in terms so that a ten year old could understand...

G

For those that don't understand what is happening. Intel has AMD in check. If they don't make the right move they will get checkmated and die. But they have a check against Intel in sight.

weewee

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
[citation]What I dont understand is why in the hell intel would make this kind of thing public. No matter which way they spin it, win or loose, they're going to be the bad guys to the consumer who pays their lovely bonus checks. Makes no sense at all.[/citation]

my guess is that intel use this to buy some time .. i believe they have info or at least what AMD's new chip .. either they need time to lauch new product to counter it or ..
*see what ATI did to nvidia (ya.. ok .. i know intel is way leading ahead and has deep pocket)

just my guess . .. i dun care who win . .i want to buy cheap cpu :p

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
In my opinion x86 shouldn`t require anymore any licensing since the technology helps humanity in everyday computing, it is stupid and against human evolution to attempt blocking any company in building stuff based on this technology. Intel is trying from all its power to eliminate any competition ... if this will go in Intel`s favour i hope all the idiot Intel fanboys will have realy deep pockets for the generation of CPUs to come.

G

Intel has one problem and that is that AMD holds the patents which not only make their cpu tick but also their up and coming gpu, with the fact that amd owns ati it can push for a cuda based program, with the help of integrating their cpu into their gfx cards. (intel owns one paitent amd uses and intel needs 3 from amd)

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]
If Intel's case is that Globalfoundries is different company, why they are going after AMD? They should go after Globalfoundries itself.[/citation]

Well, because AMD passed on Intels aggreement to another company, which the contract did not allow, why go after GF if AMD passed on the liscense with disregard to the rules.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]Well, because AMD passed on Intels aggreement to another company, which the contract did not allow, why go after GF if AMD passed on the liscense with disregard to the rules.[/citation]but GF is borned out of AMD :) Anyway like i`ve said Intel tryes by any means posible to remain the only x86 CPU maker on the market that will lead to total desaster if this happens since we will see again ridiculous prices on CPUs they don`t care about Intel customers all they want is to be able to raise again the price on their CPUs.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
GF was an item purchased at the AMD garage sale. AMD still has control over it as anyone knows but I think the whole stink here is to safeguard GF from doing anything squirrely with Intel's IP. Speaking of IP, chances are most anything born of or derived of the x86 architecture (i.e x64) is probably IP of Intel's. It is probably in some dusty rule that was written early on. If that is true, I am sure we will see it quoted for the world to see in the coming days.
For all the big press this is getting, it will probably end in something as simple as specific stipulations for GF if they are to manufacturer CPU's to make sure the tech cannot be used beyond AMD and Intel. This afterthought, broad side attack by Intel says nothing to me but "hey we need to make sure our agreement is crystal clear" or this would have been ugly months ago.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I agree with those that believe this was planned out by AMD or at least knew it was possible. I love them but I think they knew this was coming and seems a little fishy.
Between the two patents, 64 is by far more important and I think AMD's playing a hand to get leverage on Intel. I think in the end both will keep their licenses, but there's going to be some "renegotiation" of their contracts.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
32 bit is not obsolete as there is very very few 64 bit programs written. Intel would just have to write its own 64 bit architecture as the same with AMD would have to develop their own x86.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS