Exclusive Report: We Visit Quo Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I thought it had been determined that shink-wrap licenses (EULA) didn't really have that much power. IOW you buy the product, you can do whatever you want to do with it as long as you don't make counterfeit copies or something like that. If the user buys the product and then has the ability to modify some components of the product, then that should be their right.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
On the Mac site, a 1TB 7200rpm for the mac desktop costs $300...
The best graphics option is a single 4870 512MB at a hefty price.
The list goes one.

Mac OS X server.
Who the hell ever came up with that idea?

Through all I'm concerned, as long as apple still somehow profits from the sale of the OS, they can screw off.
I want this system, and I want this OS. Dont like it? Then ah heck off.

I don't need a pathetic box computer, I don't need a AIO, as they both aren't enough for my desires.
I don't need a server platform either.
What I want is a desktop. There is a difference. Quad core and a decent GPU (or two). What the hell is wrong with that?

GAZZOO

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
what a load of garbadge
What is it with people who can not take NO for an answer
this will only undermine the integity of Apple and there high grade computers and no I am a PC home build person
Gazz

Cmhone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
If Apple wants to remain a boutique bit-player that's more sizzle than steak, then let them. I'm perfectly happy with the bang for the buck I get with Windows-based systems.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I used both Mac and PC. I also dabble with a Linux box too (Ubuntu). I build a new PC about every 2 years and in the last few years I'm amazed with what I can do with $1,000 for a new PC (less OS and software).

I also get an upgraded Mac every 2 years or so off of Craigslist. While computers lose value pretty quickly, I realized that Macs also lose value quickly too. So I usually get a new Mac laptop or desktop for $600-800 with pretty good specs and less than 2 yrs old. Basically they sell for 25-30% of the price after 2 years.

Bottom line - Macs are great if you buy them used. Buy them new... well that's just tossing money away.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
"DSMOS" stands for Do Not Steal Mac OS.

Call me crazy, but it looks like they are missing an all-important "N" in that acronym. I would say it now stands for "DO Steal Mac OS."

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
How the hell apple can have such an EULA...

it's like if MS said "you cannot install windows on non-ibm hardware" or "you can only use IE as web browser on windows" (ipod = itune)... I think the DOJ should check this, instead of wasting time harassing ms.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]GAZZOO[/nom]what a load of garbadge What is it with people who can not take NO for an answerthis will only undermine the integity of Apple and there high grade computers and no I am a PC home build personGazz[/citation]
Nah, you're just another sheep. Mac has been practicing an anti-consumer buisness model for quite some time, and idiots lap it up like a dog on spilled anti-freeze.

To see someone come into the market to help force their prices down is exactly what we need. And we can see the benifits of it already, as the Mac Book Air is $700 cheaper. (Hell, if they bring it down another 300, I may consider getting it for my fiance)

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Honestly i couldn't care less about MAC OS.

I triple Boot atm (XP, 7 RC1, Ubuntu JJ), i cannot see what i would need Mac Os for.

Windows.
You can't play games there.
There isn't drivers for the hardware i want/need.
Too limited on the diferent software.

Linux
It wont beat ubuntu in virtualized environment.
It wont beat linux for coding/testing/developement.
It wont beat linux for safety.
it wont beat linux for the imense library free software you can easily get.

XP
You can't use legacy XP apps on MAC OS.
And it won't touch

Can i do all of this in a MAC ? Of course. But for that i buy a Dell, HP or Lenovo. If i got DT i assemble it myself.

Please don't talk about iLife because it makes me giggle like a little girl.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I guarantee OS X would be way more popular if they allowed it on non Mac computers. I would be willing to try it and I don't want to spend extra money on proprietary hardware that's way overpriced and has shitty options for upgrades just to try it.

Gedoe_

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
it is a good thing macs arnt that popular. We get less virusses. With windows you not only have to pay for OS, also for a virusscanner.

i dont mind paying to be alot saver then everyone else

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Gedoe_[/nom]it is a good thing macs arnt that popular. We get less virusses. With windows you not only have to pay for OS, also for a virusscanner. i dont mind paying to be alot saver then everyone else[/citation]
lol you do realize that many anti viruses are free and most computers already come with some form of anti virus in them as well,heck we got a buffet of choices and most of the time if you use your computer with common sense you will never get viruses (i haven't got one since 2006)so the idea that you pay a premium because of that is foolish in its premise. And OSx is actually quite easy to hack into,security through obscurity is nothing but the illusion of security.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]Gedoe_[/nom]it is a good thing macs arnt that popular. We get less virusses. With windows you not only have to pay for OS, also for a virusscanner. i dont mind paying to be alot saver then everyone else[/citation]
I have a feeling that if Mac OS became suddenly popular, they would find out very quickly that their security features just aren't up to snuff. Their customer base would be stocking the Apple technical support pond with brown trout for decades to come. Like rooseveltdon put it - security through obscurity is an illusion of security. Microsoft has literally had decades to learn to deal with malicious software and hackattacks and such.

G

Pretty soon, the EULAs of Apple and Microsoft will mandate what you can use the product for, down to the specifics. For example, Microsoft will forbid you from communicating with your lawyer about the wrongdoings of Microsoft with its products: Outlook and Hotmail. Apple will make their Macs to where they can't dual-boot to Windows. iPods will only be designed for iPod music files only, and will have a "time bomb" code where non-iPod music files would be erased. Microsoft will tell you that you can't download Linux distros within Windows...It'll happen. Corporations are power hungry and intimidate too many people. Laws should be in effect to protect consumers and citizens of this (wait, there are, but the company's lawyers fight it).

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Cmhone[/nom]If Apple wants to remain a boutique bit-player that's more sizzle than steak, then let them. I'm perfectly happy with the bang for the buck I get with Windows-based systems.[/citation]

Very well said. +1

eqdarkleaf

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I think they have a good idea.. They aren't breaking the eula the customer is... I don't see how quo would be responsible for a customers actions..

Although I agree, ever hear of The Pirate Bay?

dvelez1985

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
"We really hate the word 'hackintosh,' it's not what we do. We don't hack anything." That's exactly what they are doing! Damn general public still can't get their heads out of their asses and realize that hacking is not just the act of modifying code to create a solution. Though that is a form of hacking ultimately if you create a solution whether it be modifying a code or are using a supplement code you in essence still created a hack solution therefor this is still a Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.