exFat readable by tv

axeff88

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
My Phillips tv doesn't read exfat hd but I need to make it read them because I have big video.mkv files. Any suggestions? Thx

Hey there, axeff88.

Unfortunately, if the TV doesn't support the exFAT file system, you can't make it read the files from the HDD. Check the TV's specs, to see which are the supported file systems. If it supports NTFS, get the files off of the drive, reformat it with the NTFS file system and transfer the data back to the HDD.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

axeff88

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

axeff88

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Thx. I don't like ntfs because my mac doesn't handle it very well. Is there any kind of gadget to attach to the tv that can read exfat, like android keys or a BluRay reader? Can this be the only one solution?
Thx

I'm not very familiar with the "android keys" you are talking about and as for the BluRay readers, as a Western Digital emplyee I can't really suggest a specific device or model, but there might be some which can do the job. Another option would be the so called media streaming box. Check out different types of brands and models to see if any of them support the exFAT file system, so that you can connect your HDD to the gadget and stream the content to the TV.

Plus I highly doubt ANY TV deal with NTFS.

Am smirking because that's what people want to do, just plug in the HD into the TV, and BAM, cheap streaming media. Unfortunately TV vendors just give you enough to get you hooked.

First off, for large files, >4G or so, you have no choice but to use NTFS or Mac native. All those fat, fat32, exFAT blah-blah start complaining when you go >4G

Then you need a streaming server between the HD and the TV. Since you mentioned Mac, if you format the HD for Mac native, you can hook that puppy up to the back of your Airport Extreme, a little slow, but it works.

For full-blown home theater implementation, you really want an honest-to-God NAS server and perhaps an HTPC.

Hey jsmithepa.

You have some pretty good suggestions, but I'd have to disagree on some things. Most TVs nowadays support NTFS (e.g. mine does), so if @axeff88 decides to go this way it still might be a viable option, but it's best to check that with the TV's spec sheet. Although exFAT is not my first choice when it comes to file systems, I've never had an issue with it, when it comes to files bigger than 4GB.
Otherwise I really like your suggestions about the HTPC and the NAS. But this all comes to personal preference and budget. :)

They do now? Great.

My experience though, people don't purchase TV with the express purpose of using its HD media capability. They buy a TV and then go, "oh it has a USB port, oh I can plug an HD to it, FREE feature!" then find out all these limitations, and really something, oh my TV can do this... rather than a feature they use everyday. DLNA which TV rely on for media playback, hope am not holding to outdated info here, is just enough, again, to show, oh I can do this, rather than an everyday, an honest-to-God Home Theater set up. Think how to update HD, it's pretty much read-only, think codec limitations. blah-blah.

exFAT is not my first choice when it comes to file systems, I've never had an issue with it, when it comes to files bigger than 4GB.

Ur right, exFAT does >4G, I was confused exFAT would not work on my 4th Gen Apple Base Station.

Well, it depends on the user. I personally like to research a lot until I come across the gadget (TV, laptop, etc.) which would cover most of my requirements (it never truly covers everything for the budget I usually set, but that's another story).
You have a pretty good point there with the limitations. The file system support is not my greatest concern usually. In my opinion the supported files and codecs are much more important. For instance I have a friend who's TV lists .mkv as a supported file format, but depending on the sound's compression used for the files, it can't play like 50-60% of the files he tries.
I hope things will improve someday and not just for the high end models.