[SOLVED] Existing windows 10 installation on all new new hardware - windows won't activate

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
I built new computers for myself and my fiancee about a week ago, basically moving our existing HDs with the OS into all new systems. Then I had to go out of town for 4 days, and when I got back it's still showing that our versions of Windows won't activate. Both copies were digitally regsitred to our Microsoft accounts, and were from when Windows 7 offered the free Windows 10 upgrade, so I don't have any physical copies or product keys.

Can anyone help?

Solution
if you have your win 7 key that you converted into a win 10 key, your best bet if the activation process does not work right now is ring Microsoft and explain what you are doing and if you don't get an idiot low lvl who doesn't know you can move licences now, they should be able to fix it their end. Simply having the email address you registered with might be enough.

There are licenses you cannot move, those belong to Big OEM like Dell and are pre installed Win 10 licences. Those only work on PC they came on. Most other oem licences should allow a move.

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
Is there any way to get a boot drive from my current computer now that I've already installed the HDs in the new machines? I don't want to have to pay another $200 for this...ugh.

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
You change motherboard, you reinstall windows.
After that log in with your microsoft account (license is registered to) and use windows activation troubleshooter to transfer license from old pc to new one (new motherboard means it is considered a new pc).
I did try all of that, and the troubleshooter just laughs at me and won't activate windows, even after I click where it says "I have recently changed hardware on this machine" or whatever it says.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ive used these guys in the past...and have not had any issues buying a Windows license. Downloaded the Win10 Pro ISO from Microsoft and did a clean install using the key I bought.

https://www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1966-20.html

This problem is solvable without using sketchy websites which may be selling illegitimate or stolen keys.

If he has his original Windows 7 keys they will work, I've done it, in the exact situation, multiple times.

Reactions: captaincharisma

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Do you have some knowledge about URcdkey that they are sketchy ? I got the link off of another top hardware review site and urcdkey is recommended by that site.

I agree that the OP could likely just call Microsoft licensing support and resolve it...I've done it also.

Any site selling cheap keys for Windows is sketchy. There have been a bunch of articles about a year or so ago looking into all of those sites and found that most of these keys are stolen or otherwise nefariously obtained, or being sold against the sellers original agreement with Microsoft for their obtainment. Then periodically Microsoft disables anything thats not legit. It happened to a Moderator here, and we see it get posted about in the forum from time to time.

Long story short, its the same as pirating it, except you're paying money for it. Lets not derail his thread though, if you'd like to discuss feel free to message me privately.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have your win 7 key that you converted into a win 10 key, your best bet if the activation process does not work right now is ring Microsoft and explain what you are doing and if you don't get an idiot low lvl who doesn't know you can move licences now, they should be able to fix it their end. Simply having the email address you registered with might be enough.

There are licenses you cannot move, those belong to Big OEM like Dell and are pre installed Win 10 licences. Those only work on PC they came on. Most other oem licences should allow a move.

Solution