Question Expanding a network using optical fiber ?

abdus1

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
hi
how are you doing
i have some questions that i hope some of you can answer and thank you in advance
i have a router that is given by the ISP as any of you would
i want to expand the connection by connecting another router to it
i tried using another router and in its settings i made it connect to the original first ISP given router as an extender (the setting was by choosing it as extender then connecting to the wifi like connecting any other device it will become an extender and the internet will be available when connecting to it and it uses the ISP router DHCP server) and it got most of the job done but sometimes it is not possible to connect to it and it behaves weirdly
i thought of expanding the network using another router but instead of the route of wifi i wanted to use the wires.
i believe i have 2 options for the wires: 1st is the rj45 and i believe i only need to connect it in one of the 4 ports of LAN on the ISP's router and the other cable end in the only port of the extending router where the cable that comes from the ISP is put (in case the ISP gave the connection through rj45)
the second option is using the plain rj45 cable and convert it to optical fiber from the 2 ends and connect them like the first but with the conversion tools plugged
i thought of buying a router that has the option to extend through optical fiber so i don't need to convert from the 2 sides and in the extending router i simply plug the cable to slot of the optical fiber -> the question here is: is that possible? and is there any extra configurations to get it to work or will it work just like for the rj45?
for the case of extending using wires the extending router is called access point and i believe the configurations are about setting up a DHCP server on it
that's all from me here i believe there might other details, ask me and i will tell you
thank you in advance for the help

It would be much better to explain in detail what the fundamental problem is that you're trying to solve e.g. "I've four computers in three different rooms in my house plus a WiFi printer in the room with two computers, and I want them all to connect to the internet. This is the model of router by ISP gave me. I've got this model of WiFi extender in a box under the bed but I'm happy to buy a new one".

At the moment it sounds like you're trying to use a router where you should be using a network switch.

I agree your post is confusing. Why do you need a second router. If you want a AP there are many post,video, etc that show how to use a router as a AP.

You really don't want to be messing around with fiber. You generally only do that when you are over the 100 meters limit for ethernet cables. The fiber coming into the house from the ISP you generally can only hook to the ISP router and it is very different than fiber you would use to connect 2 pieces of equipment in your house. Because of the cost and complexity you never want to use fiber if you can use ethenet cables.

abdus1

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
I'm sorry for the confusion
i will explain it
I have the huawei router from the ISP in the house and I have a server in another house that has a thick wall between it and the first house
i want to expand the connection to make it reach the server and i don't want to use a wifi adapter in my server
I prefer wired connection with it
i don't want to expand the connection using the wifi extension option in a d-link router that i used before since its behavior is weird and may not be available when trying to connect to it specially through wifi and that's from the other devices that use wifi, for the server it's mostly fine when connected to the d-link router that is expanding the connection with wifi extension through wifi itself
i bought a Nokia router that has a fiber receiving port since I saw people here use converters in the 2 sides of the routers that of the ISP and the expansion one.
i thought I can use the converter only to convert to fiber then connect that fiber to Nokia router

is it possible like that? are there any extra configurations if it is possible like that?

My guess is the nokia router fiber port is "GPON". It likely is also only 1 single fiber strand rather than the 2 strands of fiber used on common ethernet fiber.
It is extremely rare to have a fiber ethernet port on a consumer router.

This likely means you can't use the fiber port.

I am not sure that this matters. Do you already have a fiber cable run between the room the huawei router is in and the other house....note you can not use the ISP fibers.

How far is the distance between the 2 houses. If it is under 100 meters you can just run a ethernet cable. If it is over then you can run a fiber but it gets much more complex. Most the issue is how are you going to actually run the fiber, are you going bury it and do you own all the property in between.

If we where looking at a simple case where you run a ethernet cable into anther room you can very likely use the nokia router as a AP. It is the standard how do I use my router as a AP question when it does not have a AP option.
You connect a ethernet cable to a LAN port and connect that to a LAN port on the main router.
You turn off the DHCP function in the remote/AP router.
You change the LAN ip address in the remote router to not conflict with you main router.

abdus1

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
the Nokia router model is g-w140 w-h as i guess
the port is not labeled but supposed to be gpon
I'm sorry for not mentioning the model of every device, it's because I may be away from them or think there may be no considerable difference between them
the 2 houses where the server and the router are, are separated by a thick wall and i need nothing to install the cable except sticking it to the wall which I can do. the houses are owned by my parents-in-law.
the distance between the router and server is barely 40 meters and I know about the range of rj45 cables and it is not a problem here
i wanted to go with the challenge of optical fiber since I never experienced it

Not sure why you would want to do this. Fiber is easily damaged you wrap it around your finger a couple times and you will internal cracks it will not pass light.

So buy 2 devices similar to this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WS6J3M

Then buy a 40 meter 50/125 om3 multimode cable with the correct ends. In this case you need lc/lc ends.

There is no advantage over ethernet and you must be sure the fiber is protected. The fiber patch cords you can buy are designed to be run between racks in a data center.

Stuff that runs say on the outside of a house or under ground is much different generally has a very strong protective jacket. This type of cable is only sold in bulk and you need to put the ends on yourself. The cost of equipment used to cut and polish fibers is not something a home user can afford.