[SOLVED] Expanding RAM into a b350 + ryzen 7 1800x

Aug 7, 2019
Guys, greetings!

I have the ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard with the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor. I would like to take full advantage of this motherboard in relation to the RAM speed supported by the card in conjunction with my processor.

I currently have 16 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LED, CMU16GX4M2A2666C16, 8GB * 2, DDR4 2666Mhz.

I need help with the following question:

Can I add two more modules of this same memory to get a total of 8 GB * 4 (32 GB) and occupy all memory slots on the motherboard? Will it work? Or should I sell the two combs I have and buy another two 16GB * 2 to keep the dual-channel? ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING Raven_Ridge_Memory_QVL features: DIMM socket support (Optional) shows the 8 GB * 2 in 2 DIMM configuration, but in section 4 the DIMM does not have the little ball that confirms "compatibility."

I thought of adding 2 more memory modules identical to the ones I already have (which would be much cheaper and less work). I wanted to get the best speed when working with Premier and Photoshop heavy files.

Another question about this same case is whether it makes sense to have frequencies higher than 2666Mhz in this configuration. AMD Ryzen 7 1800X supports up to 2666Mhz in normal mode and up to 2993Mhz in OC. I heard a lot that Ryzens like higher frequencies, but for this setting justifies? The ROG STRIX B350-F supports a maximum of 64 GB, DDR4 3200 (O.C.) / 2933 (O.C.) / 2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered, but the processor does not. It gave me a cruel doubt. Would there be any reason for me to trade my current 8GB * 2 Corsair Vengeance for 16GB * 2 with frequencies over 2666Mhz instead of just buying two new modules of the same model I already have?

I would be very grateful for the help. Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Can I add two more modules of this same memory to get a total of 8 GB * 4 (32 GB) and occupy all memory slots on the motherboard? Will it work?
There is no set answer to this, unfortunately mixed modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). It's a 50/50 gamble whether mixed modules work, regardless as to whether they the same make/model/timings. This is due to how the manufacturing process changes over time.

So 2 modules of the exact same model but from 2 different packs could not be compatible. Only way to find out is to try. Not saying it never works, just it's 50/50. It's best practice to buy a whole new pack to avoid any potential headache.

Equally you would...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Can I add two more modules of this same memory to get a total of 8 GB * 4 (32 GB) and occupy all memory slots on the motherboard? Will it work?
There is no set answer to this, unfortunately mixed modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). It's a 50/50 gamble whether mixed modules work, regardless as to whether they the same make/model/timings. This is due to how the manufacturing process changes over time.

So 2 modules of the exact same model but from 2 different packs could not be compatible. Only way to find out is to try. Not saying it never works, just it's 50/50. It's best practice to buy a whole new pack to avoid any potential headache.

Equally you would likely not get any speed improvement as all of the RAM will downclock to the lowest denominator.

Ryzen does prefer faster RAM, and depending on how you take the advice above, it may be apt to buy a whole new pack at the highest speed you can support.

shows the 8 GB * 2 in 2 DIMM configuration, but in section 4 the DIMM does not have the little ball that confirms "compatibility."
This can either mean that it isn't compatible, or that they haven't tested it.

Reactions: Thiago Jacinto
Solution
Aug 7, 2019
Many thanks for the clarification Tailor.
One question: does it make sense to buy 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz or even 3600Mhz memories which would be the maximum that ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING supports if the Ryzen 1800x only works up to the maximum of 2993Mhz?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Many thanks for the clarification Tailor.
One question: does it make sense to buy 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz or even 3600Mhz memories which would be the maximum that ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING supports if the Ryzen 1800x only works up to the maximum of 2993Mhz?
Yes you can still use higher speeds, it may take some configuring, but you can. The memory support is more importantly dictated by the motherboard support.

3600 seems to be a sweet spot for value/performance on the Ryzen 3000 series, I can't comment for the 1st gen myself. But I know all Ryzen has fed on higher RAM speeds, so I'd edge to the higher end of speeds IMO.

I know there are many who have run 3200 on the B350 chipset with a 1800X, but I also know the Ryzen 1st gen can be a little picky with RAM at times.

Reactions: Thiago Jacinto
Aug 7, 2019
Yes you can still use higher speeds, it may take some configuring, but you can. The memory support is more importantly dictated by the motherboard support.

3600 seems to be a sweet spot for value/performance on the Ryzen 3000 series, I can't comment for the 1st gen myself. But I know all Ryzen has fed on higher RAM speeds, so I'd edge to the higher end of speeds IMO.

I know there are many who have run 3200 on the B350 chipset with a 1800X, but I also know the Ryzen 1st gen can be a little picky with RAM at times.

Perfect!
Thank you for your help.

I bought the Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2x16) LED DDR4 3000MHz White, CMD32GX4M2B3000C15. It was the best memory I found in my country that is 100% QVL compatible with the B350.

The configuration of this computer will serve me for a long time and selling the previous modules is satisfactory I believe.

Cordially, Thiago.

Reactions: PC Tailor