News Expect To See Nvidia's 12-Pin Power Plug On Future PCIe 5.0 GPUs

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While I don't like the idea of encouraging more and more GPU power consumption, I have no problem with this if it makes things smaller/less bulky.

I wonder if they can make it a split connector, and have lower powered GPU use only 6 pins, or maybe even break it into thirds? Sort of the way EPS is a split 8-pin, but a motherboard might only require 4 pins.

900W peaks on the RTX 3090? Holy crap, Nvidia, what the hell are you doing??!?

Reactions: renz496
Apr 1, 2020
I said this on the previous article about this: with the move to a MCM GPU model AND the bandwidth afforded by PCIe 5.0, having a "monster" 1000w+ GPU just means that previous factors which prevented that have now been removed, and density can increase which can decrease net power consumption. Think about specialized systems involving liquid or immersion cooling as well, yes it may consume 4000w or more, but that doesn't mean it's wasteful or inefficient, it's replacing multiple systems with multiple CPUs and other hardware with a single system with single set of hardware.

great Unknown

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
Going to need to take into consideration how this affects room temperature - the heat has to go somewhere. More AC in Summer, maybe no heat at all in Winter.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
So what's the purpose of those 4 additional pins? Wouldn't want to be in a situation where the 4 pins are needed.

ITs just to hndle additional current. For a 500W, you will need 2 x 8pin. Technically each 8 pin is 3 x +12v and 5 x ground (1 ground used for sense). So, you can have 6 x +12v and 6 x ground to do the same job and do away with the useless sense.

InvalidError

Titan
So what's the purpose of those 4 additional pins? Wouldn't want to be in a situation where the 4 pins are needed.
If you are talking about the four extra little pins on the PCIe 5.0 AUX connectors with 12 large + 4 small pins, the small pins are likely there for remote voltage sense so the PSU can shut down if it detects excessive voltage drop indicating a bad connection or damaged cable so the PSU can shut down before something melts down or catches on fire. There is no shortage of charred GPU power connectors and PSU cables from bad crimps or loose fit, especially on AUX cables with dual 6(+2) ends.

Reactions: peachpuff

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
more power not more efficiency.
while playing lets assume its 80% load so we need 720W during playing if 900W during peak.
that just wow. unbelieveable
probably it will get even more segmented. and more mobile'ish and console'ish pc gamer will become like steam deck

Going to need to take into consideration how this affects room temperature - the heat has to go somewhere. More AC in Summer, maybe no heat at all in Winter.

It depends from where and how you are living. Around mid-1990ies and in mid-2000ies living in post-USSR country with frequent heating problems was easier during winter when you had powerful CPU and 17" CRT monitor as room heater.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I keep hearing people say dumb **** like this, no GPU is gonna heat your house. Its not a furnace

Please elaborate? What did they get wrong, are you referring to the power supply

It was stated earlier, but to summarize:

The 12-pin is not the new PCIe 5.0 600W connector. The 12-pin is the 450W FE connector. The 600W connector is the 12+4-pin that was "leaked" a month ago.

4.0 graphics card have a 2.5x TDP excursion ("peak") for upwards of 100 micro seconds. The 4.0 cards will have a 3.0x TDP excursion.

It's all in the PCI-SIG's PCIe 5.0 CEM documentation. And I'm sure Asus is a member of the consortium. I guess they're just not paying attention.