Expected insurance rate

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Hello everybody,

I'm going to get my license next Friday (hopefully). I'm 17, a male, and live in a rural town in Northeastern Connecticut.

First off, do any of you have any idea of how much it could cost to add me onto my parents insurance?

Next, how much do you think it would cost to add insurance to this car, a 2006 chevy cobalt ls coupe?

I can't expect people to know this, but maybe somebody will have a guess and know or be somebody in a similar situation.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
There are way too many factors for anyone here to give you an answer. Your parents current rate, based on their driving record and credit (which shouldn't be a factor in my opinion). They also look at where you live, the neighborhood, where the car will be parked, etc...

The company will give you a quote for free, but if adding yourself to your parents insurance, they'll have to call. Fun fact, when I was 19 it was cheaper for me to insure a brand new jaguar than a used pontiac... too bad I couldn't afford the jaguar.

USAFRet

Titan

This is a discussion between you, your parents, and their insurance company.
No way for anyone out here to know. Too many variables.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree. Too many variables.

I went from single, military, under 25 to married, honorably discharged, and over 25 within 3 months.

My automobile insurance rates for a very modest car (Duster, 6 cylinder) dropped to about 1/3 of the original premiums.

That said: How are your grades? At one time younger family members with good grades could benefit accordingly - maybe not much but still meaningful.

Your insurance agent may ask about your GPA.... What can you say?

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

They're pretty decent, maybe an average of 85.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

You don't have classic car insurance on that Duster? As a regular car (my '73 Duster), Geico wanted to charge me more than I pay for my bmw even though they value the car at $800 (which my engine alone is way over that) Also over 25 and military.

Ralston18

Titan

Unfortunately, the Duster has been gone long years ago., 100,000 miles plus. Treated well but a serious engine problem finally brought about its demise.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

200 a month????
Does he have his own vehicle or is he just driving your vehicles sometimes?

he has his own vehicle. remember, this isn't just basic coverage, it's for full coverage. and we are in a state with some of the highest rates on the planet due to so many people that drive without insurance.

it would be much less if he were just driving mine probably. and if he's just doing it once in a while. but see, he uses it for work mostly and can pay his insurance. I helped him out but he has to save and earn for school too.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

oh he has his own vehicle with full coverage? That makes me more assured actually. I was worried that with my own vehicle, it would be like 400 or more a month. In which case I would have to look for another job. mind me asking where you live roughly and what vehicle it is?