[SOLVED] Expected proformance

Nov 12, 2019
Hi all
I recently happened by two old unwanted systems and managed to create one working . I've yet to install a operating system on it but was hoping I could get a run down on the expected proformance of the rig to see if it's worth finishing or just selling for parts.
Intel core i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
Corsair A70 cooler
Corsair vengeance lp 8gb 1600 MHz
1tb Seagate pipeline HDD
500gb Samsung SSD
Nvidia Gtx 1050 2gb
StrikeX 800w 80+ silver power supply.

Solution
Resist the urge to update a BIOS unless you have a problem that impacts you and that an update fixes.
A failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from and may possibly brick an older motherboard.
Check the motherboard web site for downloads. There is usually an explanation of what the bios update fixes.

If you are going to sell the whole pc, look to sell it locally. Shipping a case is expensive.
If you might sell on ebay,
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.
Nov 12, 2019
1080p low- medium limited by the GPU.

Whether you use it or sell it..... depends on your other options (system)
I know the GPU is outdated, and if the system would prove to be worth it I'd probably look to upgrade maybe to a 1660 super or similar, do you think the motherboard and CPU would proform for standard gaming or are they too outdated, I'm still hearing good things for the sandy bridge i5 2500k even given its age

Honestly, 4c/4t CPUs are actively going obsolete, especially for online gaming. My brother has a 4th gen i5 and I have a i7-3770. Both of us have an RX480. I get higher FPS than him at higher resolution in Destiny 2 which we're playing now.

Not all games are equally taxing.

Do you have a gaming PC already?

Reactions: Carlp2482
Nov 12, 2019
Honestly, 4c/4t CPUs are actively going obsolete, especially for online gaming. My brother has a 4th gen i5 and I have a i7-3770. Both of us have an RX480. I get higher FPS than him at higher resolution in Destiny 2 which we're playing now.

Yes I done a custom build around 6months ago using this site to aid in the best parts at the time, I'm running

Yes I had a custom build done around 6months ago currently running
Core i9 9900k
Gigabyte z390 Aorus ultra
Dominator platinum 32gb 3200 MHz
Arctic freezer ii
Rtx 2080ti 11gb
However this was build at my request and this is my first actually attempt at personal build and understanding the various parts and there lvl

Oh, you've got a VERY nice main system for sure. Congrats.

What's left to "finish" on the free system? Just install windows inactivated for now? Or are you needing to purchase some of the components on your original list.

Last edited:
The parts are decent for what it is.
I suggest you download windows 10 and install it.
You do not need a license for 30 days, and even then you may still run with limitations.
In no way would this compare to a 9900K system.
But, it is probably stronger than more gaming rigs than not.
What are your plans for the pc?
One thing you might try is overclocking.

I do not know about the quality of the psu, but so long as it works, the wattage is sufficient for anything.

Nov 12, 2019
Oh, you've got a VERY nice main system for sure. Congrats.

What's left to "finish" on the free system? Just install windows inactivated for now? Or are you needing to purchase some of the components on your original list.
Yes basically it needs windows install then the bios work for overclocking which I am completely clueless about aswell

Nov 12, 2019
The parts are decent for what it is.
I suggest you download windows 10 and install it.
You do not need a license for 30 days, and even then you may still run with limitations.
In no way would this compare to a 9900K system.
But, it is probably stronger than more gaming rigs than not.
What are your plans for the pc?
One thing you might try is overclocking.

I do not know about the quality of the psu, but so long as it works, the wattage is sufficient for anything.
I'm not 100% sure yet I was just trying my luck at making a working rig from these spare parts, once the operating system is downloaded and everything set I may look to sell as a entry lvl gaming pc on the cheap. It's housed in a half decent fractal design tower. I guess I'm just intrigued by the whole building process and trying to learn the ins and outs,

Resist the urge to update a BIOS unless you have a problem that impacts you and that an update fixes.
A failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from and may possibly brick an older motherboard.
Check the motherboard web site for downloads. There is usually an explanation of what the bios update fixes.

If you are going to sell the whole pc, look to sell it locally. Shipping a case is expensive.
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.

Solution
Nov 12, 2019

Thankyou for the advise I appreciate your help

Yes basically it needs windows install then the bios work for overclocking which I am completely clueless about aswell
Luckily there's oodles of online references for overclocking the 2500K. It's the same basic principle as your 9900K (depending on how far you want to push). For a "daily driver" OC, you don't want to exceed the stock voltage by too much:
  • Load up your favorite stress test, record the vcore voltage at stock frequency
  • In BIOS, Set all-core multiplier to (start at 40x for the 2500K), leave voltage on auto
  • Run stress test again, record new vcore voltage
  • In BIOS, set a negative value vcore voltage offset (equal to the voltage change if you want to return to stock voltage)
  • Rinse & repeat, testing for stability. The goal of OCing is to achieve the maximum frequency at the minimum stable voltage.
Again, depending on how hard you want to push the OC, there may be additional items to adjust/consider.