Experence dealing with Gigabyte Customer Support?

Lord Letto

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Just wondering if anyone here dealt with Gigabyte Customer Support before & what was their experence like? I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming Mobo from someone on the local classifieds (Kijiji) & when I went to install everything on the board yesterday to install it in my case I noticed the CPU cooler mount/backplate (CPU Retention bracket) was missing, I sent a message to the seller but have yet to hear back along with messageing some local stores/repair centers/services to see if they had one available along with contacting Gigabyte Support, so far the local places I contacted that got back to me so far don't carry the item/can't help me with one of them saying to contact the manufacturer (I already did), and my reply from Gigabyte is a no go also, first was the esupport website I signed up to ask a question:

"Hi, I'm just wondering if the motherboard comes with the stock mount/backplate for the CPU cooler? I'm wondering because I bought the motherboard as a new open box from someone on a local classified site & went to start putting it together today at a local computer refurbisher I used to volunteer at but it appears that the CPU cooler mount is missing so I can't mount the stock wraith stealth cooler. I was wondering if it's possible that it left the factory without the stock mount & if so if it's possible to ship me a replacement mount?"

The reply I got:

"Dear customer,

Retail box MB should have cpu retention bracket You may refer to MB review website link below to look at MB image, if board was purchased as refurbish has no cpu retention bracket comes with, you may contact our customer service dept whether by email : services@gigabyteusa.com , phone : 626-854-9338 select option 4, they can help you on obtaining cpu retention bracket replacement.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-rev-1x#kf

Best regards,

GIGABYTE technical support team."

So then I sent a email to the one provided with the topic "Replacement CPU retention bracket for a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming" with the following:

"I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming as a new open box from someone on a local classified site & went to start putting it together to install in my case today at a local computer refurbisher I used to volunteer at but it appears that the CPU cooler mount (CPU Retention bracket) is missing so I can't mount the stock wraith stealth cooler. I was wondering if it's possible that it left the factory without the stock mount & if so is it possible to ship me a replacement mount?"

The reply I got:

"Dear Customer,

Used/open box items may not contain full accessory.
If you like to purchase the CPU retention bracket, please fill out the form.
Thank you"
Attached was a file called "Credit Card Auth Form.doc.doc"
So it looks like i'm SOL when it comes to replacing the missing piece unless I buy it from somewhere or buy another board.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That is typical of open box sales. It's really on the seller. If the seller described it as complete, they were lying. If they described it as open box, then it's on you, unless they claimed that it was included and did not actually include it, in which case, back on the seller.

This isn't really Gigabyte's problem - however, the first time, they gave you a phone number to call to try and get one. Did you call it? What was the result of that call?

It wouldn't be surprising if you had to pay for it, though.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Yea by your own email to them its not a new board.. Open Box means it was used or such.. and so they removed the bracket.. I would just return it to who ever you purchased it from if possible.. or get a new board (not New Open Box IE:Used) (though get an 450 or x470 board)

WildCard999

Titan
Is it the retention clip that is missing or the hardware for the cooler? Can you post a picture of the motherboard?

From the sounds of it Gigabyte will sell you a replacement one if you cant get it from the seller. On this I would side with Gigabyte as it's not there fault that the seller didn't include this with your motherboard.

Lord Letto

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Seller listed it as brand new he just opened it to take pictures (atleast that's how I remember it, he removed the ad after I bought it so I can't doublecheck). It's missing the black clips on each end of the socket & the backplate, I'll take pictures & figure out how to upload/attach them from my phone as I'm currently without a computer.

USAFRet

Titan

That's all on the seller.
"New" means actually never opened, still factory sealed.
"Open box" means...he opened it. And apparently broke some parts off.

Not the fault of gigabyte. You bought a used part, with pieces missing.

Frankly, I will be surprised if you can order and receive the CPU cooler retention back plate directly from Gigabyte. I think tech support for most computer components, such as motherboards, is very sketch because their attitude is it's the responsibility of the system builder to provide support. And of course, you are the system builder!

You might try going around to computer shops and asking to scrounge in their dead motherboard bins to salvage a back plate from one of those. I'm not saying they're exactly universal but most any socket AM4 back plate should work; just make sure the central opening clears all the tiny MLCC's underneath the CPU.

Another thing is to buy an aftermarket cooler that comes with it's own backplate. Although I'm not to sure how many AM4 coolers there are that don't depend on the original back plate for mounting...but you can look.

Lord Letto

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I emailed some local stores/repair centers & so far the ones that got back to me so far don't carry the item/can't help me with one of them saying to contact the manufacturer (I already did) that they do it with ASUS all the time, though I haven't tried going to any of them in person yet.

In any case, finally heard back from the seller after sending him a text earlier yesterday (he gave me his cell phone number to text if I have any issues), he said sorry for not getting back to me sooner that the last few days were hectic, honestly he can't recall about the cooler mount that he had the board for a little while before listing it on Kijiji however he knows he got another mount lying around that I can have otherwise. I replyed back & said if it fits the AM4 socket for the board I'll take it, he replied & said from what he has seen all the AM3+ coolers/brackets seem to fit the AM4 socket boards, he's pretty sure the bracket he got is from a AM4 board regardless, but maybe we'll check to see if it fits, if not he'll definently figure out something for me.

You can use a 'clip on' style cooler on either AM3 or AM4, but the backplate itself uses a different hole spacing for the standoffs that the plastic brackets screw to.

BTW...you'll need not only the backplate but the two plastic brackets in order to attach any AM3/AM4 clip-on cooler. This just might work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/PartsCollection-Retention-Bracket-Cooling-Mounting/dp/B07C2BXDQM?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07C2BXDQM

Lord Letto

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

AT US$1.77/C$2.32, I'd certainly take the gamble!

Now: does the board have the tiny mounting screw for the NVME drive and the I/O panel shield. Not to mention SATA cables and other accessories that are often missing from 'refurb', 'return' or 'open box' sale items which, once you consider their value, frequently turn what looks to be a good deal into a bad one even if it's fully functional.

Lord Letto

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
It got the I/O Shield, I'm not sure about the mounting screw for M.2/NVME drives though (not that I have one to use, if I were to get a SSD it would likely be a budget SATA one), for other stuff it got 1 sealed SATA cable, the guides & driver CD.

I'd toss the CD :) those are only to frequently (and easily) the source of planted exploits even with brand-new devices in sealed packages. You can DL drivers and apps direct from MFR's website, both getting the latest and greater assurance they're clean of potential security problems!