Experience with USB C charging laptop

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,
I am looking at getting a new laptop and USB C charging is one of the things I am wanting to get as it makes it so much more portable as I can find a USB charger everywhere but after doing some reading it seems that USB C charging isnt totally perfect yet.
I have read about
Some HP (maybe other brands as well?) laptops only working with their own USB C charger
USB C ports breaking easily

Does anyone have any experience with USB C charging laptops and have any recommendations?
Would you buy a laptop with only 1 USB C PD port or is 2 a sensible minimum?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 362816

I have used quite a few Dell XPS laptops that use USB C charging, Never had an issue with them at all.
Any brick will work as long as it's wattage meets what the laptop needs and is PD certified. (at least with dells)

I would buy a laptop with only one C port as I still do not use many other C devices that I need to hook to a laptop.

Also USB C/TB hubs with PD are pretty cheap for desk use.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
I'm glad you mentioned Dell as I have been looking at the Dell 14" 5425 on offer on ebay at the moment.
I have had problems with Dells only liking their own chargers in the past so thats great news

I also have a Dell XPS laptop that takes in charge from one of my USB-C PD chargers. I have another one from ASUS that allows for USB-C power input, but it's mostly there just to have something when you don't have its actual power brick.

I don't think devices that use USB-C that require their own charger can't be qualified to be called a USB-C PD device. So if the device says it can accept USB-C PD, it should be fine with any USB-C PD charger provided it provides enough power.