Experiencing issues after switching to SSD

YannickVDIJ

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
So today I managed to create an ISO-file of Windows 8.1, then turned it into a bootable USB-drive. I installed it onto my Toshiba SSD, thought it went all fine. So then the laptop booted itself up and got to see the desktop first obviously, which missed all sorts of pre-installed apps from Intel and Lenovo. For some reason my mouse wasn't responding, so I pressed CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it showed up. However, I couldn't adjust the brightness. Also, the volume was automatically set to around 60. But what surprised me the most, was that the fan was making a constant loud noise, which it never did before when using the HDD. In fact, it's still is making that horrible loud fan noise.

I thought it would be a good idea to perform a factory reset, but it gave me an error message saying: ''Several files are missing. These files are available in the installation- or recovery medium from Windows.''

So basically I have no clue how to fix these issues. I was already skeptical, because I didn't have to enter my Windows 8.1 CD key when installing it onto my SSD. Also, for some reason the Windows 8 logo shows up when booting, which it never did before.

Do you guys have any good advice for me? I'd like to perform a factory reset, but also want the pre-installed apps from Lenovo and Intel back.

Solution
The preinstalled apps aren't there cause you used a standard win 8.1 ISO. Where did you download that ISO from as it should have asked for a licence key: Official download site

Did you go to lenova web site for model and download the drivers? its likely its not got all the software it needs, might explain fan noise as well. Its possible lenova have a utility that updates PC for you, I don't know for sure as you didn't say what model you have.

you can't factory reset the ssd, its not got the partition on it that the factory recovery software needs. That is all on the old drive you swapped the SSD for.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The preinstalled apps aren't there cause you used a standard win 8.1 ISO. Where did you download that ISO from as it should have asked for a licence key: Official download site

Did you go to lenova web site for model and download the drivers? its likely its not got all the software it needs, might explain fan noise as well. Its possible lenova have a utility that updates PC for you, I don't know for sure as you didn't say what model you have.

you can't factory reset the ssd, its not got the partition on it that the factory recovery software needs. That is all on the old drive you swapped the SSD for.

Solution