Experiment: Build a (Profitable) Ethereum Mining Rig From Spare Parts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

He was referring to the institution itself using its machines for mining. Not some student creating a mining botnet out of university computers.

I think I remember someone on Reddit saying that their school actually using some of their HPC equipment for mining when not in use as a way to make a bit of extra cash.

extremepcs1

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Now you're getting into misappropriation of equipment. It would be bound to, at the very least, ban the user from using computer resources.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant something that is sanctioned by the school and the revenue goes to the school.

Okay, that's a different story. That is up to the schoo, school board, etc, obviously. They should also take into account their costs to operate their farm. Heat may be less of a factor after-hours, but it still can't be ruled out altogether.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You're 100% correct. I was not thinking clearly when I made that judgment.
We've amended the article. Unfortunately, it's too late to go back to change the rig. The RX480 is now in use in another project.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This is all excellent insight. I see where you're going with the fixed base cost, but in this case, I don't think that matters as much. This PC's only function is as a dedicated miner. It would not be running if it weren't mining, so the fixed base cost is still a factor in the profitability of this rig. If you were to use your main gaming PC for mining, then you could discount the fixed costs of the base equipment.

However, I wasn't trying to suggest that it would cost you more money (other than potentially in AC cost, which isn't easy to calculate without a controlled environment) to run hotter cards. Heat output is a factor for comfort in the household. As is the audio level.

That said, the methodology of selecting the hottest cards was admittedly flawed. We incorrectly equated GPU operating temperature with heat output into the room. We've amended the article to address that issue.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I don't have an effective way to measure the power consumption of the AC system. I haven't lived in this home for long, so I don't have an idea of the average cost to operate the unit without the miner running. I also don't have an accurate way to measure how much of my overall power consumption comes from the AC. I have a central air system, which doubles as a furnace and AC, and is wired directly into the electrical panel.

The climate around here is mild this summer, so I've had the AC off and the windows open about half the time the miner has been running.
When I get my power bill, I'll have a better idea. I know how much the miner should cost.

gnyff

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Probably should google this a bit more before posting, sorry... ;-) But the world is /actually/ using resources (time, parts, and electricity) of "mining" a (unbacked, but I guess most are ;o) crypto currency?!? No useful work is actually done (?); the machines are just calculating random stuff made sufficiently difficult to match the hardware of today? I hope I'm missing something here - but I say use the hardware/electricity for fun or work and leave the waste of resources to....hm... can't really think of a "purpose" that not either useful or fun... [2 degrees target long gone! And US out of Paris?!]

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

As far as I know, crypto mining requires dedicated VRAM and would not work on shared system memory. Most onboard video solutions can't access more than 2GB of system memory anyway.
I don't know for sure, but I'm going to go ahead and say it won't work.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I intentionally left the GPUs stock to see how well they would perform for a month.
I'm not done with this project, and I fully intend to dive into tuning and tweaking to maximize performance.

as for seasonal mining - you could absolutely do that, but don't expect Ethereum mining to be around this coming winter. The difficulty continues to rise, and proof of stake is coming (soon?), which will render miners useless for Ethereum.

There will undoubtedly be other currencies to mine this winter, though.

USAFRet

Titan

Then you compete with these guys:
WdezVKQ.jpg

helopilot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Great article Kevin. I liked the way you got right down to business and approached the topic. It also shows that you have a great talent for figuring out a practical approach to solving (any) a complex problem. No one has asked how many man hours you put into this project? I'm guessing that you you would probably make more money if you'd spend the equivalent time doing part-time work at Walmart!!

But - hacking on computer hardware/software is way more fun....!

Elevate the rabbit cage and place your fan underneath -- preferably pointing upward :)

Fashion a hood over the cage (pretty much anything will do). You could use cardboard, or build a simple frame, and cover it with yer GF's massive panties (it's a joke!). Vent the waste heat to the exterior during hot times, or to an interior register to warm your tootsies during those cold nights.

8-inch insulated flex duct is less than $1US per foot. Ditto for Styrofoam residential insulation sheathing (for the hood). A couple case fans can be used to boost air flow in the duct.

Contractors throw away oodles of this stuff at job sites if you're on a low budget, but please be careful. If you are a hippy-looking type they'll think you're growing Weed, beat you up, and smoke all your Pot.

Or, you could sell all of the GPUs, buy 30 kegs of Molson Ale, throw one heck of a party, and become a legend in your community!

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
You definitely want to Flash new GPU Firmware and undervolt to maximize the Hash/Watts and minimize the Heat/Noise - read up on the best Card, BIOS, Settings, etc. for maximum efficiency and either move to Winterpeg or Serbia (cold and low cost Electricity).

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Ether is high as of this post ($293), but still, most regions would only see ~$175-$200 profit after electricity is removed. Also, the majority of us don't have the luxury of a dank cold basement. So this extra cooling would eat into that $175 a bit. NOR do we have multiple decent graphics cards laying around. So if we dump $900 into equipment, it would take nearly 6 months to break even.....even at today's higher Ether rate. Point being, unless Ether starts running at $400+, it ain't worth the headache/stress/time/space used for 99.9% of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.