Experiment: Can You Mine Gold From Old Motherboards?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

nice job, very nice article, a nice addition of old fun to the overly commercialized tomshardware.

And as anotherone said, give it to a geek girl and break her heart (but not earings, just something a little bit more crude -hammer it if you like lol)

Yannick_G_THFR

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]That gold BB is worth waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than $2-3.IF it's 24k then it'd probably worth a good bit more. It's 5grams of gold![/citation]

What ?!?
It's only +/- 0.1g :D

G

I wonder if the chemicals cost more than the three dollar gold BB.

G

What they forget is that nowadays Some Ic's Circuits are made with micro diamonds

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
LMAO! This is the most hilarious thing I've read and it brings back memories of hours spent in the chemistry lab in college. The materials needed to produce this gold costs more than the gold itself.

jschodde

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
This article struck a cord with me...

Back in college, I was a chemistry major and looking for a job. My chemistry teacher caught wind of a local company doing exactly what you describe here only on an industrial level. Sadly, that company was not using safety measures at all and was using cyanide solutions as part of their process. I witnessed open buckets of solution bubbling from heat with cyanide vapors coming off them! Needless to say I high-tailed it out of there and never looked back.

DeanKeaton259

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Heh, really cool article. It remind me of Gen. Chem lab. I hated chem so much. I'm sure I would've liked it a whole lot more if we did experiments like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.