Question Expert level help request with best performance GPU in $400-700 range at 2k res paired with my i5 12600K

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
Hi there,
I am looing for some expert advice/info about getting the very best graphics card I can get in the $400-600 ($700 if it makes a huge difference) range to pair with my 12th gen Intel i5-12600K, 32gb of OC'd G.Skill DDR4 3600 Hrz, and my MSI MAG Z690 DDR4 WiFi Tomahawk.

I will be gaming on an ultrawide @ 1440p at 120hrz refresh rate and would like the very best performance card in my price range and paired with my CPU for all titles at 2k-4k. Currently, it looks like there's an argument between getting a GeForce 4070, and the RX 6600, 6800, and the RX 6950, but I'd be open to other suggestions.

I am really interested in hearing from the experts in the community and would appreciate any help you can provide. Please provide direct links to the exact card you'd recommend with an argument for which you think is best.
Thank you all in advance.

Your system can easily run any of the cards you listed, so it comes down to how much you really want to spend. Usually it's best to spend the maximum you're prepared to spend, so that you get something you'll be happy with for several years...if you need to upgrade again next year, then it's money wasted.

For what you want to do and budget, the RX 6950 would be a good starting point.

RTX40702.jpg

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
Your system can easily run any of the cards you listed, so it comes down to how much you really want to spend. Usually it's best to spend the maximum you're prepared to spend, so that you get something you'll be happy with for several years...if you need to upgrade again next year, then it's money wasted.

Thx so much for the help. It looks like the general concensus is that the 6950XT is the best option--just has you've said here. When you get a spare sec, could you provide a direct link to the exact card you'd get? There are some different cooler designs and brands and I want to be sure that I go with the best option.

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014

Thx so much for the help. It looks like the general concensus is that the 6950XT or 6800 are the best options. If you'd be so kind, could you provide a direct link to the exact card you'd get? There are some different cooler designs and brands and I want to be sure that I go with the best option.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Thx so much for the help. It looks like the general concensus is that the 6950XT or 6800 are the best options. If you'd be so kind, could you provide a direct link to the exact card you'd get? There are some different cooler designs and brands and I want to be sure that I go with the best option.
From my experience with same models different brands, there is not a massive difference between any of the brands offerings performance wise or at least nothing more than you would normally find unless you where looking for the highest benchmark score results you can get from your setup.

For me when it comes to decide it's more based on, the price difference, what one fits my case and how quiet and cool are they when compared to each other.

The few frames more offered by each brand that will differ between them out of the box will make no difference to how the game feels or plays if the card is already struggling.

More to the point why would you need to overclock further than it's already overclocked out of the box when it's already powerful? Apart for trying to get the highest benchmark scores which is the only real use I found.

like I have said if a graphics card is struggling to hit say 30-35fps the extra 10-20% is not going to make a game changing experience. If your getting 250fps then get 300fps after an overclock the number look impressive but that's about it to me because I can't feel the difference anyway lol.

But that's just my opinion based on my past experiences.

what your really paying for and should be getting for your money is (or why pay a premium price)

Much better cooler
Much better durable PCB
Much better components used when building/designing the card
MUCH better built and design

Is it worth paying the extra for ? 1000% Hell yea.

I better add I did hunt for the fastest card I could afford back in my More Speed And Power day's though only to come to this conclusion lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're missing something very important here. I see that you're looking at the RX 6800 and RX 6950 XT but, right now, I wouldn't choose either one if I were you.

Firstly, let's look at the RX 6950 XT:
XFX Radeon 6950 XT Speedster MERC 16GB - $630
The flaw with the RX 6950 XT is that it's outside of your $400-$600 budget. It's not by much, but I don't consider it fast enough to be worth going outside of your budget for it. It's a good value, but there is something better.

You were also looking at the RX 6800:
Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Pulse 16GB - $490
This card is a fantastic value under normal circumstances and it's right at the bottom of your budget.

However, circumstances today are not normal and there is a card that is a far better value than both of those. Check this out:
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D OC 16GB - $500

Right now, the RX 6800 XT is the best-value high-end card and it's not even close. It's 14% faster than the RX 6800 for only 2% more money (a measly $10) which completely disqualifies the RX 6800.

Now, sure, the RX 6950 XT is 16% faster than the RX 6800 XT but it costs 26% (a significant $130) more which drives it out of your budget.

I can tell you as someone who personally owns an RX 6800 XT and uses it on a 4K screen that you can't go wrong with this card. I play primarily 1440p with fully maxxed-out settings but I can increase to 4K for a lot of games as well. All three cards have 16GB of VRAM so that's not going to be an issue for you.

At the end of the day though, the RX 6800 XT is just overall the best card to buy in that price range.

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
You're missing something very important here. I see that you're looking at the RX 6800 and RX 6950 XT but, right now, I wouldn't choose either one if I were you.

The flaw with the RX 6950 XT is that it's outside of your $400-$600 budget. It's not by much, but I don't consider it fast enough to be worth going outside of your budget for it. It's a good value, but there is something better.

This card is a fantastic value under normal circumstances and it's right at the bottom of your budget.

However, circumstances today are not normal and there is a card that is a far better value than both of those. Check this out:

Right now, the RX 6800 XT is the best-value high-end card and it's not even close. It's 14% faster than the RX 6800 for only 2% more money (a measly $10) which completely disqualifies the RX 6800.

Now, sure, the RX 6950 XT is 16% faster than the RX 6800 XT but it costs 26% (a significant $130) more which drives it out of your budget.

I can tell you as someone who personally owns an RX 6800 XT and uses it on a 4K screen that you can't go wrong with this card. I play primarily 1440p with fully maxxed-out settings but I can increase to 4K for a lot of games as well. All three cards have 16GB of VRAM so that's not going to be an issue for you.

At the end of the day though, the RX 6800 XT is just overall the best card to buy in that price range.
Wow, thank you for being so thorough in your explaination. I am learning a lot and really appreciate it. I think I made a mistake when I wrote 6800 but I meant the 6800XT.

I have gone back through and read some reviews and it does seem like the best bang for the buck is the 6800XT, just as you've said here. I have even had people recommend the 6950 over the RTX 4070. Would you also recommend the RX 6800XT over the RTX 4070? Is there a huge difference between the RDNA 2 vs 3 that you find on the 7900xt's?

My experience with ASRock does kind of make me a little nervous to go with the phantom 6800XT card you suggested, but, given you are more experienced than myself, would this be the very best 6800XT to get (the one at your link), or are there alternatives that might be a little better (e.g., cooler design, built quality) for slightly more?

What do you think of the following options and how do they compare to your ASRock selection? Is the MSI premium really worth here? That free game with the Sapphire 6800XT is a nice plus and is a nice price. Is build quality good with these?:

- https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedster-MERC319-Graphics-RX-68XTALFD9/dp/B08TJ2BHCQ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Radeon+RX+6800+XT&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf

- https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11304-03-20G-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B08NXYNLMR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Radeon+RX+6800+XT&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf

- https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-RX-6800-16G/dp/B09S596QVD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Radeon+RX+6800+XT&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
Wow, thank you for being so thorough in your explaination. I am learning a lot and really appreciate it. I think I made a mistake when I wrote 6800 but I meant the 6800XT.
That's perfectly understandable. I've made similar mistakes myself with the XT and Ti suffixes. :giggle:
I have gone back through and read some reviews and it does seem like the best bang for the buck is the 6800XT, just as you've said here. I have even had people recommend the 6950 over the RTX 4070. Would you also recommend the RX 6800XT over the RTX 4070? Is there a huge difference between the RDNA 2 vs 3 that you find on the 7900xt's?
I wouldn't recommend the RTX 4070 over the RX 6800 XT because they have similar performance but I'm unfamiliar with any hiccups that the RTX 4070 may have while I know from experience that the RX 6800 XT has none. I know that the RTX 4070 uses less power but as long as your PSU is strong enough for the RX 6800 XT, it doesn't matter. The difference in power use could take years to offset the fact that the RTX 4070 is $60 more expensive than the RX 6800 XT.

While I do agree that DLSS is super to FSR, these are high-end cards that won't need upscaling for years so that's irrelevant at this point in time. Besides, by time that they do, it's very possible that FSR will have caught up to DLSS. Also, since I'm not the least bit impressed with ray-tracing in its current state, I'm not about to pay more for better RT resiliency either. I'm all about the cost-per-frame and that favours the RX 6800 XT.
My experience with ASRock does kind of make me a little nervous to go with the phantom 6800XT card you suggested, but, given you are more experienced than myself, would this be the very best 6800XT to get (the one at your link), or are there alternatives that might be a little better (e.g., cooler design, built quality) for slightly more?
I've used cards branded Albatron, XFX, Palit, ATi, Gigabyte and Sapphire. They've all been just fine. I've owned three ASRock motherboards in my life (including my current ASRock X570 Pro4 and my previous ASRock X370 Killer SLI) and they've been 100% reliable. I have never had any qualms about buying ASRock and I don't think that you should either. Remember, these products have warranties and if ASRock was making a bad product, we would've heard about it by now. ASRock started making Radeon cards in the RX 5000-series and we're now at the RX 7000-series. That's three generations of cards by ASRock with no problems. I think that you're perfectly safe getting the card that I linked you to.
What do you think of the following options and how do they compare to your ASRock selection? Is the MSI premium really worth here? That free game with the Sapphire 6800XT is a nice plus and is a nice price. Is build quality good with these?:

- https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedster-MERC319-Graphics-RX-68XTALFD9/dp/B08TJ2BHCQ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Radeon+RX+6800+XT&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf
XFX is a good make, but I wouldn't pay an extra $20 for it, especially not from Amazon.
I would defiintely take the ASRock over this card. I don't believe in paying more for a brand-name because they're all good. That's something I learned back when I worked at Tiger Direct.
I had a REALLY bad experience once with MSi customer service and I won't recommend their products to anyone, in case they get put through the wringer like I did. There's not a chance in hell that I'd recommend this card just based on the price alone when it's more expensive than the RX 6950 XT.

No, I'd definitely say that you're better off with my recommendation from Newegg than any of those cards from Amazon. None of those cards would perform appreciably better than an ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC so there's no point in paying more. Get the ASRock and enjoy it! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhaegyn

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
That's perfectly understandable. I've made similar mistakes myself with the XT and Ti suffixes. :giggle:

I wouldn't recommend the RTX 4070 over the RX 6800 XT because they have similar performance but I'm unfamiliar with any hiccups that the RTX 4070 may have while I know from experience that the RX 6800 XT has none. I know that the RTX 4070 uses less power but as long as your PSU is strong enough for the RX 6800 XT, it doesn't matter. The difference in power use could take years to offset the fact that the RTX 4070 is $60 more expensive than the RX 6800 XT.

While I do agree that DLSS is super to FSR, these are high-end cards that won't need upscaling for years so that's irrelevant at this point in time. Besides, by time that they do, it's very possible that FSR will have caught up to DLSS. Also, since I'm not the least bit impressed with ray-tracing in its current state, I'm not about to pay more for better RT resiliency either. I'm all about the cost-per-frame and that favours the RX 6800 XT.

I've used cards branded Albatron, XFX, ATi, Gigabyte and Sapphire. They've all been just fine. I've owned three ASRock motherboards in my life (including my current ASRock X570 Pro4 and my previous ASRock X370 Killer SLI) and they've been 100% reliable. I have never had any qualms about buying ASRock and I don't think that you should either. Remember, these products have warranties and if ASRock was making a bad product, we would've heard about it by now. ASRock started making Radeon cards in the RX 5000-series and we're not at the RX 7000-series. That's three generations of cards by ASRock with no problems. I think that you're perfectly safe getting the card that I linked you to.

XFX is a good make, but I wouldn't pay an extra $20 for it, especially not from Amazon.

I would defiintely take the ASRock over this card. I don't believe in paying more for a brand-name because they're all good. That's something I learned back when I worked at Tiger Direct.

I had a REALLY bad experience once with MSi customer service and I won't recommend their products to anyone, in case they get put through the wringer like I did. There's not a chance in hell that I'd recommend this card just based on the price alone when it's more expensive than the RX 6950 XT.

No, I'd definitely say that you're better off with my recommendation from Newegg than any of those cards from Amazon. None of those cards would perform appreciably better than an ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC so there's no point in paying more. Get the ASRock and enjoy it! ;)
Really appreciate all your help sir. Learned a great deal and I will proceed for sure. One of the only points of interest I like about the Sapphire card I linked is that it comes with a free game that I will play and I like the look of it and I've been recommended Sapphire products before. I also will be able to get it faster ordering from Amazon which is important for D4 release coming soon, but if it isn't as good as the ASRock (but I think they're pretty much the same, just one is more expensive), I will go with the ASrock. I think they are pretty comparable though if I understand correctly.

I wonder if you'd be able to answer what the significant difference is (if at all) between RDNA2 vs 3? I notice the 6800xt has RDNA2 but the 6950XT has RDNA 3 and am curious what the difference would really be.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
ASRock has been around a while. Motherboards are generally fine. Originally an offshoot from ASUS.

No complaints so far with my Z690 ITX board or A380 from them.

Really appreciate all your help sir. Learned a great deal and I will proceed for sure.

I wonder if you'd be able to answer what the significant difference is (if at all) between RDNA2 vs 3? I notice the 6800xt has RDNA2 but the 6950XT has RDNA 3 and am curious what the difference would really be.
6950XT is still RDNA 2, RDNA 3 is the 7000 series, so the 7900XT or 7900XTX in your performance range.

If you are straight gaming yeah, nothing wrong with RDNA2 vs RDNA3. RDNA3 gains you AV1 encoding if you are interested in game streaming. Also you gain DisplayPort 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 at the same time, which none of the other cards have.

Nvidia still has DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.1

Intel has Display Port 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 (but only on the A750 and up I think, A380 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 last I checked)

Really appreciate all your help sir. Learned a great deal and I will proceed for sure.
You're very welcome. Helping people is why I come here in the first place. ;)
One of the only points of interest I like about the Sapphire card I linked is that it comes with a free game that I will play and I like the look of it and I've been recommended Sapphire products before.
If you look more closely at the Newegg listing, you get a free game with the ASRock card as well:
Free game listing
It's an AMD thing and I believe that all RDNA2 cards are eligible for it.
I also will be able to get it faster ordering from Amazon which is important for D4 release coming soon, but if it isn't as good as the ASRock (but I think they're pretty much the same, just one is more expensive), I will go with the ASrock. I think they are pretty comparable though if I understand correctly.
I believe that the ASRock might be slightly faster because the Phantom Gaming D OC is an OC card while the Sapphire Pulse is not. Having said that, the difference would be insignificant (2-3% maybe).
Honestly, RDNA3 has been a real let-down with regard to increases in performance over RDNA2. I was astounded by RDNA2's performance gain over RDNA but not so with RDNA3.

There's a reason why AMD hasn't released an RX 7700 or RX 7800-type card yet. They know that nobody would bother with them when they could just get a similarly-performing RDNA2 card for less.

There are some differences of course, depending on what's important to you. For example, RDNA3 cards have an AV1 video encoder (if that matters to you) while RDNA2 cards use H.264/265 for video encoding. The quality and speed of AV1 is superior to H.264/265 but if you don't edit videos or only do so casually, it won't make any difference because H.264/265 is what everyone is already used to. They're more resilient ray-tracing performance loss than RDNA2. Other than that, they're the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhaegyn

Rhaegyn

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014

In comparing the 6950XT's, I have gotten some recommendations for both the PowerColor Red Devil 6950XT (https://rb.gy/xmkhv) and the ASRock Phantom (https://rb.gy/j3jyk). Both appear to be highly recommended but I have an engineering friend that mentioned that the Power Color Red Devil create some of the best AIB, much better cooling than the reference card, upgraded PCB, upgraded power stages, and VRMs with great overclocking potential.

As you are very knowledgeable and because the prices are comparable, could you shed some light on how you would compare these cards, what you know about the Red Devil, and which you would personally get and why?

May 27, 2023
Hi there,
I am looing for some expert advice/info about getting the very best graphics card I can get in the $400-600 ($700 if it makes a huge difference) range to pair with my 12th gen Intel i5-12600K, 32gb of OC'd G.Skill DDR4 3600 Hrz, and my MSI MAG Z690 DDR4 WiFi Tomahawk.

I will be gaming on an ultrawide @ 1440p at 120hrz refresh rate and would like the very best performance card in my price range and paired with my CPU for all titles at 2k-4k. Currently, it looks like there's an argument between getting a GeForce 4070, and the RX 6600, 6800, and the RX 6950, but I'd be open to other suggestions.

I am really interested in hearing from the experts in the community and would appreciate any help you can provide. Please provide direct links to the exact card you'd recommend with an argument for which you think is best.
Thank you all in advance.
When it comes to choosing the best graphics card within your budget range ($400-600, possibly $700), there are a few options to consider based on your requirements. Here are some recommendations along with their key features:

1. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti:
    • Link: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    • This card offers excellent performance for 1440p gaming and is capable of handling 4K gaming as well.
    • It has ray tracing and DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) support for enhanced visual quality and performance.
    • With its 8GB GDDR6 memory and powerful architecture, it provides smooth gameplay in a wide range of titles.
  2. AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT:
    • Link: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
    • This card delivers strong performance for both 1440p and 4K gaming experiences.
    • It features ray tracing capabilities and AMD's FidelityFX technology for improved visuals.
    • With its 12GB GDDR6 memory and advanced architecture, it offers excellent gaming performance and future-proofing.
  3. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070:
    • Link: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    • This card provides high-end gaming performance at 1440p and performs well at 4K as well.
    • It supports ray tracing and DLSS for realistic graphics and improved frame rates.
    • With 8GB GDDR6 memory and powerful features, it is a solid choice for demanding games.
  4. AMD Radeon RX 6800:
    • Link: AMD Radeon RX 6800
    • This card offers excellent performance for both 1440p and 4K gaming.
    • It features ray tracing support and AMD's Smart Access Memory technology for enhanced performance.
    • With its 16GB GDDR6 memory and powerful architecture, it provides a future-proof option for gaming enthusiasts.

baixar microsoft office crackeado

Last edited:
In comparing the 6950XT's, I have gotten some recommendations for both the PowerColor Red Devil 6950XT (https://rb.gy/xmkhv) and the ASRock Phantom (https://rb.gy/j3jyk). Both appear to be highly recommended but I have an engineering friend that mentioned that the Power Color Red Devil create some of the best AIB, much better cooling than the reference card, upgraded PCB, upgraded power stages, and VRMs with great overclocking potential.

As you are very knowledgeable and because the prices are comparable, could you shed some light on how you would compare these cards, what you know about the Red Devil, and which you would personally get and why?
The Red Devil is one of the most beautiful card designs that I've ever seen but, like most other "high-end" AIB cards, the performance difference is, at most, 4-5% over stock reference.

Now, it does run very cool and very quiet but so do all triple-fan cards and the few degrees lower that the Red Devil runs is insignificant. The Red Devil is primarily about looks and presentation, two things that Powercolor definitely did right with it.

Using Amazon links are useless for me because I'm in Canada and Amazon won't show me US prices. If you look at links that I leave, they're always Newegg or B&H Photo because I can see their prices and they're not nearly as scummy a company as Amazon (I absolutely hate Amazon and refuse to do business with them).

I can say this though... If the prices were the same, I'd definitely get the Red Devil. However, if it were $50 more expensive (or worse), then I'd definitely get the Phantom Gaming D OC. Either way, they're both going to perform about the same.

Jun 24, 2023
I'd go with the red devil 6950 xt to be future proof, personally. The coolers powercolor puts on these cards are amazing. I have a non xt 6800 because I had a slightly lower budget than you but have been able to overclock it to the max allowed by the driver and it still stays cool. I did repaste and pad though... it stayed cool before that but I couldn't max out the slider. I would argue overclocking gpus is worth it in opposition to the other guy previously because for me it can make games go from unplayable at my preferred resolution to just over playable. 😉 on my old cpu at least. Just got a new one. :->