Experts Only

G

IBM 75GXP
Quantum Fireball AS
IBM 60GXP

Which one of these 3 is best? Which is the second?

G

Check out the posts and see the troubles that people have been having with the 75, which leaves the 60 and the Quantum

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would personally prefer the IBMs.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

The 60GXP represents the latest evolution in hard disk technology, the 20 gig platter. That is definitely going to beat out the 75 GXP. I don't know about the Quantam. Read up about it on IBM's site.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my system the quantum actually beat the IBM drive in performance using hdd tach 2.61, which is the same test that Tom used. The quantum is actually a bit louder however. This only refers to the quantum AS series and not to the LM series which are significantly slower.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Go to www.storagereview.com. Have any of you heard of this website at all? They have reviewed all the drives in question and you can compare them on the website. Also, the testbed system they use is the same for all drives, so no biased opinion do to computer, just good 'ol tests.

I've had a Quantum Fireball for over 3 years and it works fine. Reviews have been leaning towards the IBM and I have considered one myself but I'll wait for more convincing evidence before spending my money.

G

I was told that IBM drives are all made by Seagate, but they are less expensive. Is this true?

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Quantum was good some 3 years ago, but they fell in terms of quality and speed!

The IBMs...
Well , the IBMs are the IBMs !
I´ve read bad things about them!
I´ve been told wonders about it!
The point is that every Company has its problems sometimes, but the IBM are the best throughout the times!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live

G

<<I was told that IBM drives are all made by Seagate, but they are less expensive. Is this true?>>

It's true.. absolutely true.. ROFLMAO!!!

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I owned a 30 gig 75GXP, it got stolen, and so I replaced it with a 30 gig Quantum AS... I notice no real world difference in speed between the two drives; they are pretty comparable. The IBM was quieter, and *slightly* faster in my benches.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
It seems you are contradicting yourself!

"I notice no real world difference in speed between the two drives" , "The IBM was quieter, and *slightly* faster in my benches."!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live

G

No.. Benchmarks are notorious for showing differences that can't be seen in real world use. A difference of 1-2 ms in access times and 2 MB/s STR could easily go unnoticed in real world apps.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A slightly higher benchmark score isn't usually noticeable in real world everyday use... A video card analogy: Can you really tell the difference between 85 fps and 88 fps?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Big deal if you can't notice it. I can't notice the 2 one millionths of an inch that the read/write heads float above the platter of my hard drive but it still matters.

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?