Explain adaptive mode for CPU core voltage

VatsalS

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to overclock my 6600k CPU and have managed to reach a stable overclock of 4.7 ghz at a voltage of 1.35. I am wondering if I should leave the voltage at the manual setting of 1.35 or switch it to adaptive of offset mode. Can someone explain what these two modes do? If I should switch the setting to adaptive then what settings do I choose under: Offset mode sign, CPU code voltage offset, and Additional turbo mode CPU core voltage?

SPECS
CPU Intel i5 6600k
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2
Motherboard Asus Z170A
RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 MHz
GPU Assu ROG Strix GTX 1080 8G
SSD Samsung 960 Evo 256 GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
PSU EVGA 750w G2

Solution
I think you are good at 1.35v.

As I recall, adaptive mode will vary the vcore to match the multiplier.
To make this useful, you also need to implement speedstep.

speedstep varies the multiplier according to load. Under heavy load, you get max multiplier and max vcore.
When there is little to do, the multiplier and associated vcore is reduced. You set the minimum cpu performance in windows in the power options.

A very good thing, I think if you are an overclocker.
Monitor with cpu-z and you can see what the minimum and max for multiplier and vcore is.

How high you can OC is determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
The limit will usually be vcore, not temperature.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a...
I think you are good at 1.35v.

As I recall, adaptive mode will vary the vcore to match the multiplier.
To make this useful, you also need to implement speedstep.

speedstep varies the multiplier according to load. Under heavy load, you get max multiplier and max vcore.
When there is little to do, the multiplier and associated vcore is reduced. You set the minimum cpu performance in windows in the power options.

A very good thing, I think if you are an overclocker.
Monitor with cpu-z and you can see what the minimum and max for multiplier and vcore is.

How high you can OC is determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
The limit will usually be vcore, not temperature.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K

4.9 14%
4.8 38%
4.7 67%
4.6 87%

Solution

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
If u leave the PC 24*7 then reduce the voltage to 1.3v , it's not recommend to use above 1.3v in longer run .For 4.7ghz ,around 1.25v should do .But try at 1.3v .In adaptive mode the cpu automatically maintains the vcore voltage for the given clock speed