Explain these configuration please to help get wi-fi thieves of network?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

(Moderator edited for readability)
(Router config in the Spoiler)

WAN Service Setup
Interface
ppp0.1

Description
pppoe_0_0_35

Type
PPPoE

Vlan8021p
N/A

VlanMuxId
N/A

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Enabled

Firewall
Enable

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
Edit

Reset
Reset
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interface
ppp1.1

Description
pppoe_0_0_32

Type
PPPoE

Vlan8021p
N/A

VlanMuxId
N/A

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Enabled

Firewall
Enabled

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
Edit

Reset
Reset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interface
ptm0.2

Description
VDSL_IPTV.40

Type
Bridge

Vlan8021p

VlanMuxId

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Disabled

Firewall
Disabled

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
N/A

Reset
N/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interface
ppp2.1

Description
pppoe_0_1_1.35

Type
PPPoE

Vlan8021p

VlanMuxId

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Enabled

Firewall
Enabled

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
Edit

Reset
Reset
Interface
eth4.2

Description
br_eth4.40

Type
Bridge

Vlan8021p

VlanMuxId

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Disabled

Firewall
Disabled

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
N/A

Reset
N/A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interface
ppp3.1

Description
pppoe_eth4.35

Type
PPPoE

Vlan8021p

VlanMuxId

Igmp
Disabled

NAT
Enabled

Firewall
Enabled

IPv6
Disabled

mld
Disabled

Remove

Edit
Edit

Reset
Reset
DSL ATM Interface Configuration

Interface
atm0

Vpi

Vci

DSL Latency
Path0

Category
UBR

Peak Cell Rate(cells/s)

Sustainable Cell Rate(cells/s)

Max Burst Size(bytes)

Min Cell Rate(cells/s)

Link Type
EoA

Conn Mode
VlanMuxMode

IP QoS
Support

MPAAL Prec/Alg/
Wght
8/WRR/1

Remove

Interface
atm1

Vpi

Vci

DSL Latency
Path0

Category
UBR

Peak Cell Rate(cells/s)

Sustainable Cell Rate(cells/s)

Max Burst Size(bytes)

Min Cell Rate(cells/s)

Link Type
EoA

Conn Mode
VlanMuxMode

IP QoS
Support

MPAAL Prec/Alg/
Wght
8/WRR/1

Remove

First let me admit and apologize that I'm not tech savvy. For years I've been having security issues with my wireless network. Neighbors and their friends have been sitting near their houses, in their houses and in their cars with computers, and now smartphones, in their hands as they siphon off my network. Whenever this happens my net slows down a lot or I get knock off. I was told because I live on a hill that my signal goes out and they gain access, even if network is password protected.

So I placed my router in a metal box, used only one of its antenna, repeatedly changed passwords and SSID's, hide those ID'S sometimes, and moved daily the router from place to place not near any windows and they still gained access. And to top it all off, someone went in, and still goes in, repeatedly and changed the passwords or the SSID's and I'm blocked out of my own router, even after changing router's admin password. This led me to question my ISP provider on how can someone gain access without my permission or knowledge of password. Answer was that they can't and it must be me or I've given out passwords, neither to both.

I've been powering off the router daily. But whenever I turn it on, no matter what time of day, and I mean literally, there they are. It has happened with the old NETGEAR router and now the SMART RG. There has also been added new networks that I have never seen before. Checked on MAC addresses based on advice from someone and no other from the usual has shown up. So is it the configuration, rogue networks, or something else?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH ANSWERS, IT'LL BE GREATLY, VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED.

WiFi is not FM radio, you need both parties to be able transmit and receive so unless you have a wifi antenna literally sitting outside your house it s not going to travel blocks with good signal. If you have the router sitting against the outside wall facing the neighborhood then that might allow your wifi signal to extend 3-4 houses instead of 1-2 at best (yes that is with the understanding that you live on a hill.

Some routers have the ability to turn down power some dont (like the junk the ISP gives you). Just google decrease TX power and your model of router and you will have your answer.

Again though, every router has a list of active clients, so if your router is not reporting any extra devices that are not yours, then you dont have a bunch of people leeching your wifi.

It would take quite a few (like 15-30 simultanious failed attempts to connect to your wifi to make your router slow down your connection.
I dont mean 15 a day, i mean 15 that exact second.

If the problem is actually people failing to connect to your wifi then wired conenction will help
If the wifi radio in your ISP provided modem/router is just a pile of crap, then a wired connection would help
If you actually have people leeching your wifi connection then you are still competing with them for the same limited bandwidth on your DSL connection.
If your DSL conneciton is just really crappy, then your wired connection is still limited to the same crappy internet connection.

By all means though, that would be a good test. Do a speed test on wireless, and then a speed test using wired ethernet

G

Any idea about these ports?

Port 1025 Host service Status – Stealth

Port 1026 Host service Status – Stealth

Port 1027 Host service Status – Stealth

Port 1028 Host service Status – Stealth

Port 1029 Host service Status – Stealth

Port 0 nil service Status – Stealth

Port 21 FTP service Status – Stealth

Port 22 SSH service Status – Stealth

Port 23 Telnet service Status – Stealth

Port 25 SMTP service Status Stealth

Port 29 Finger service Status – Stealth

Port 80 HTTP service Status – Stealth

Port 110 POP3 service Status – Stealth

Port 113 IDENT service Status – Stealth
Port 119 NNTP service Status – Stealth

Port 135 RPC service Status – Stealth

Port 139 NetBios service Status – Stealth

Port 143 IMAP service Status – Stealth

Port 389 LDAP service Status – Stealth

Port 443 HTTPS service Status – Stealth

Port 445 MSFT DS service Status – Stealth

Port 1002 ms-ils service Status – Stealth

Port 1024 DCOM service Status – Stealth

Port 1720 H.323 service Status -Stealth

Port 5000 UPNP service Status - Stealth

Had a scan done and these came up. Thanks for answering.

An open port does not allow someone to use your wifi for free.
An open port could allow a hacker to get access to your computer, but open ports and your wifi connection have about as much to do with each other as your home air conditioning and your toilet.

Most all of those ports are completely common ports for common services, all of them are marked as stealth which means that they are not visable to the outside. SPOILER ALERT....no port is automatically viewable from the outside internet connection unless you either manually forward the port in your router, or an applicaiton on your PC is keeping an active connection to allow traffic back through that port. And the super common ones (most all of the ones listed) are blocked by most residential ISP plans anyways (at least in USA).

At this point you are far more likley to make things worse trying to mess with settings you dont understand.

This is my last post on this thread, I have told you what the likely issues are (crappy ISP connection/ or your router) and you refuse to consider them, I have told you to look at your lan client lists multiple times and I have gotten no response on that (I am assuming because it does not show any unknown clients).
At this point since you are asking more advanced networking quesitons/concepts (and before you completely brick your router) then I suggest you get some education and read a network + training book and do some of the online curriculum as well.

G

G

Thanks for your patience in dealing with my questions and replies, no matter how silly at times they may appear.