Question Explicit keyboard problem

Oct 18, 2021
Hello everyone, i'm having some issues on my laptop and i hope you could provide me with some solutions.
So the problem is, not more than a month ago, 4 keys on my keyboard started to malfunction, which are: "'(apostrophe/4)", R, F, and V. (PS. I am using On Screen keyboard to type those letters)
Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't, unlike other keys that are working properly, I've found three components in my device manager that have error code 28 meaning there isn't a compatible driver for these components, speaking of which, they're :

1. PCI Device
  2. PCI Simple Communications Controller
  3. Unknown device

I think they have something to do with the issue i'm having with my keyboard.
Another thing to keep in mind that the mechanical part is out of the question, i've emoved the keys to find any dirt or dust that keep them from working, but there wasn't any, and when the keys work (sometimes), they don't need heavy force to be applied in order for them to work.

Another thing i've noticed, is that when i hold "H", "R" and then press "F", it works but it types "Y" instead of "R", "H" or "F". And when i hold "R" and "F", then press "Back space", the result is "=". With that, i've made sure there's nothing wrong (probably) with hardware, and it's a software problem.

Thanks for reading this far, i appreciate it ! You may take a break if you feel like it.

And now onto the procedures i've tried:

1. Of course uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers, didn't work.
  2. Opening the laptop itself and examining the keyboard port for any dust or anything wrong with it, didn't work.
  3. As a last resort, if there was any malware causing the problem, i've done a clean installation o Windows 10 (Home, i had Pro before but had a license of Home so went back to it), also, didn't work.
(PS. Checked all the keyboard and language settings and still didn't find anything)

PC SPECS :

TOSHIBA L50-B-1HJ
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.60 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Storage: 480GB SSD
Display adaptors: AMD Radeon R7 M260
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (4400)

Thanks for getting this far, i really appreciate it and would be thankful if i got any support that could help me fix this problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, I think the driver errors are the reaction to physical damage to the circuitry of the keyboard. It's not uncommon to see the OS guess driver issues in situations in which there's damage. Nor is it likely that an actual driver error would cause trouble for four specific keys in a line. Given the line, I even more especially suspect something PCB related. Replace the keyboard.

Oct 18, 2021
True, in any case i will do further inspection for the motherboad and the keyboard PCIE, also going to give a look at the manufacturer's site for the latest keyboard drivers, i will keep you updated.

Oct 18, 2021
Note that when I go crazy typing on those four keys, somtimes they work. They display what they're supposed to display, and short after, they go back at not working, i just have a hunch that it's a software related issue.

Oct 18, 2021
Sounds less and less like a software issue all the time, but best of luck.
yup, it is indeed a hardware problem, i'm typing rn with an external keyboard, and the 4 keys aret working on it but not working on the laptop's keyboard :/
That's what i've been afraid of, the keyboard's neither working properly nor completely broken.
Not sure if i should get it replaced or just keep using this external keyboard, what a draG
Anyway, thanks for your time, have a good day!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
yup, it is indeed a hardware problem, i'm typing rn with an external keyboard, and the 4 keys aret working on it but not working on the laptop's keyboard :/
That's what i've been afraid of, the keyboard's neither working properly nor completely broken.
Not sure if i should get it replaced or just keep using this external keyboard, what a draG
Anyway, thanks for your time, have a good day!

Replacement keyboards for laptops are pretty inexpensive. And it's pretty easy, you typically can pop the keyboard out the top, remove the ribbon, and just get the new one in there.

Oct 18, 2021
Replacement keyboards for laptops are pretty inexpensive. And it's pretty easy, you typically can pop the keyboard out the top, remove the ribbon, and just get the new one in there.
i've watched a video on youtube about a guy replacing the keyboard of a similar laptop as mine, ribbons and plugs are easy but he did have to remove the whole motherboard and use that hair dryer sort of thing to soften adhesive somewhere, here's the link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmhXksY1JA&t=4s

if it was easy, i'd gladly do it myself

Oct 18, 2021
IMO the hardest thing to repair in a laptop is the keyboard, as you can see in the video, he doesnt replace the keyboard, he replaces the whole thing, moves the motherboard and the other components to a new keyboard lol, also, this site says it, the keyboard maintenance is not cheap or easy: https://tipsmake.com/when-do-i-need-to-replace-the-laptop-keyboard-is-replacing-keyboard-expensive
As much as i hate it, but it's the truth, i can't and i won't replace my keyboard, my wallet won't allow it :(

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's unfortunate; this one is an unusually difficult laptop to replace the keyboard. That is likely the only option available here.

The website link is quite bizarre, however. It's clearly an SEO farm and barely in English, with little of the advice accurate. Most laptops it's a $15 part. Not "changing laptop keyboard is quite expensive and also takes effort to bring goods" which is barely a coherent sentence, let alone accurate.