Question Explorer.exe crashes..

Anyone able to help please..
Relatively recently (may be a month or so ago?) I have started to see regular explorer.exe crashes.
What seems to be the cause... is opening/using the start button on my second monitor...(which I do a lot as I might be watching something full screen on my main monitor)
When I open it on second monitor, the search box on the taskbar on my first monitor flashes like crazy
and I might get a explorer.exe crash..
The fact this happens only when I do this on second monitor.. and I can click start button on main monitor as much as I like and all is fine, makes me think it a core windows problem
I did look online.. and it seems like it might be related to the monitor, but its just a basic monitor, and I have used its own driver (Benq 912) and default PnP monitor drivers and no change.

Anyone any ideas? Its very annoying
I can upload a dump file or two if it helps.. shout if you have questions.
Thanks in advance and best regards

Win 10 64 bit 22H2, fully patched (I hoped March patch might have fix from MS)..

Solution
Interesting... after the April Microsoft update... it seems to be MUCH better.
Nothing in the patch notes that specifically address this issue.. but I can now open the "start" button on my secondary monitor and the search bar in the task bar on my primary monitor is no longer crazy flashing.
I will monitor for a week or two and see how it goes.
OK.. I am going to call it as fixed. Been using my comp as normal (i.e. full screen on primary and opening others via start button on secondary) and am no longer experiencing any issue... with Zero explorer.exe crashes.
So my guess the problem was introduced as part of a windows update.. and was fixed by the Apr MS update set (windows or .net... we had both on patch tuesday in Apr).

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Anyone able to help please..
Relatively recently (may be a month or so ago?) I have started to see regular explorer.exe crashes.
What seems to be the cause... is opening/using the start button on my second monitor...(which I do a lot as I might be watching something full screen on my main monitor)
When I open it on second monitor, the search box on the taskbar on my first monitor flashes like crazy
and I might get a explorer.exe crash..
The fact this happens only when I do this on second monitor.. and I can click start button on main monitor as much as I like and all is fine, makes me think it a core windows problem
I did look online.. and it seems like it might be related to the monitor, but its just a basic monitor, and I have used its own driver (Benq 912) and default PnP monitor drivers and no change.

Anyone any ideas? Its very annoying
I can upload a dump file or two if it helps.. shout if you have questions.
Thanks in advance and best regards

Win 10 64 bit 22H2, fully patched (I hoped March patch might have fix from MS)..
Simplest way to start troubleshooting is to run sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt. Also, update all drivers and run all Windows Updates.

Simplest way to start troubleshooting is to run sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt. Also, update all drivers and run all Windows Updates.
Sorry again, I should have mentioned, I did do that... no joy
So I even did a reinstall of windows (over the top of the existing install, using the media creation tool and telling it to save all my data and apps), but again, no joy, the issue still exists :(

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Two things I would mention.:
First I would download a new copy of the DISM to make sure that the sfc is checking the correct current version of files then run sfc again.
Second try Explorer++ I found it a lot more stable than windows explorer which is very flaky !!

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Sorry again, I should have mentioned, I did do that... no joy
So I even did a reinstall of windows (over the top of the existing install, using the media creation tool and telling it to save all my data and apps), but again, no joy, the issue still exists :(
Definitely sounds like the monitor is to blame. I don’t know if it’s going to help, but you can try adjusting the monitor settings like resolution, refresh rate, maybe try changing the video port that it’s connected to. Can you test the monitor with another computer?

Definitely sounds like the monitor is to blame. I don’t know if it’s going to help, but you can try adjusting the monitor settings like resolution, refresh rate, maybe try changing the video port that it’s connected to. Can you test the monitor with another computer?
Interesting development... I thought I had cracked it.. I remembered that I was using a HDMI->DVI converter... so assumed it would be that... but when I changed to pure DVI-> DVI (with a different graphics card.. a GTX970 and clean reinstall of graphics drivers) it made no difference.
So I just done a different test... I moved my PC to my daughter setup, still a 2 Monitor setup, but 2 completely different monitors to mine and again a clean reinstall of latest drivers.. but STILL the issue persists..
So I am increasingly of the opinion that this is a core win 10 issue.. It never used to happen.. but now it does (and I never noticed close enough to be able isolate exactly what changed).. presumably some win 10 update has triggered it.

so unless some kind soul is able and happy to debug a small dump file.. I am struggling to think how I can isolate the issue

Cheers

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Interesting development... I thought I had cracked it.. I remembered that I was using a HDMI->DVI converter... so assumed it would be that... but when I changed to pure DVI-> DVI (with a different graphics card.. a GTX970 and clean reinstall of graphics drivers) it made no difference.
So I just done a different test... I moved my PC to my daughter setup, still a 2 Monitor setup, but 2 completely different monitors to mine and again a clean reinstall of latest drivers.. but STILL the issue persists..
So I am increasingly of the opinion that this is a core win 10 issue.. It never used to happen.. but now it does (and I never noticed close enough to be able isolate exactly what changed).. presumably some win 10 update has triggered it.

so unless some kind soul is able and happy to debug a small dump file.. I am struggling to think how I can isolate the issue

Cheers
I had issues using a HDMI to VGA adapter before… It was a laptop that came with Dell Graphics Command (or something). Through that software, I adjusted the refresh rate, resolution, color profile, etc to make it work with the monitor. You might have to do that in the Settings in Windows. Either way, it’s probably simpler to get a new monitor.

I had issues using a HDMI to VGA adapter before… It was a laptop that came with Dell Graphics Command (or something). Through that software, I adjusted the refresh rate, resolution, color profile, etc to make it work with the monitor. You might have to do that in the Settings in Windows. Either way, it’s probably simpler to get a new monitor.
Not sure you read my update carefully... I said I had tested with 2 completely different monitors (and both using completely native cables end to end.. one Displayport->Displayport and one HDMI to HDMI).. and the issue persists.. so I doubt its the monitors per se.For fun I might swap primary and secondary monitors.. (they both 1080p) and see if the issue switches as well :?

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
When you clean installed the Nvidia driver did you first use DDU to remove the old one? If not please do so.

That reinstall of Windows, keeping all apps and files, is attractive, but not helpful in this case. That "reinstall" doesn't modify or update the third-party drivers, they are all retained, and third-party drivers are the cause of 99% of all problems. I'm not suggesting that you do a fully clean reinstall, but just be aware that what you did almost certainly didn't help.

When you clean installed the Nvidia driver did you first use DDU to remove the old one? If not please do so.

That reinstall of Windows, keeping all apps and files, is attractive, but not helpful in this case. That "reinstall" doesn't modify or update the third-party drivers, they are all retained, and third-party drivers are the cause of 99% of all problems. I'm not suggesting that you do a fully clean reinstall, but just be aware that what you did almost certainly didn't help.
OK.. used DDU (latest version, in safe mode). my machine was connected to internet when it restarted... so downloaded an old version of Nvidia drivers and installed.. problem persisted.. I upgraded with a clean install from the latest version of Nvidia driver and problem persisted.
As I said, I swapped primary display (via tools in the Nvidia app).. and restarted and then retested.. and the issue swapped monitors.. (so, using the windows/start button on the secondary monitor triggers the mad flashing of the search bar in the taskbar of the primary monitor... which randomly results in a crash of explorer.exe))

Cheers

OK.. used DDU (latest version, in safe mode). my machine was connected to internet when it restarted... so downloaded an old version of Nvidia drivers and installed.. problem persisted.. I upgraded with a clean install from the latest version of Nvidia driver and problem persisted.
As I said, I swapped primary display (via tools in the Nvidia app).. and restarted and then retested.. and the issue swapped monitors.. (so, using the windows/start button on the secondary monitor triggers the mad flashing of the search bar in the taskbar of the primary monitor... which randomly results in a crash of explorer.exe))

Cheers
Nothing in the patch notes that specifically address this issue.. but I can now open the "start" button on my secondary monitor and the search bar in the task bar on my primary monitor is no longer crazy flashing.

OK.. I am going to call it as fixed. Been using my comp as normal (i.e. full screen on primary and opening others via start button on secondary) and am no longer experiencing any issue... with Zero explorer.exe crashes.
So my guess the problem was introduced as part of a windows update.. and was fixed by the Apr MS update set (windows or .net... we had both on patch tuesday in Apr).

Solution