Kero

Hi all!

I'm trying to identify explosions.
THost starts counting at 1 and increments with 1.
an explosion-message carries the ID, as -x0###
at least for explosions from battle. If I have the proper ID, I can match
it with messages from allies saying "ship xxx has destroyed ship yyy",
thus trying to achieve perfect bookkeeping.

What explosions are counted this way?

'trg' with the Swift that's taken along does not seem to count;
note the explosion of the latter uses ship ID; maybe because it
is a "distress call" -e0 instead of -x0). 'pop' the same.

However, I got one explosion from battle, a Firecloud, explosion #2
with no earlier explosions detected. I do know an MBR hit a mine, is that
a possibility? It's an -e0000 "message from enemy", "distress call".

Other explosions?
When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
count? who receives the messages?

Please respond with partial answers, too :)

Bye,
Kero.

+--- Kero ----------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+

Donovan

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:41:24 GMT, Kero <kero@chello.single-dot.nl>
wrote:

>When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
>count? who receives the messages?

I seem to recall that one doesn't even count as an explosion, the ship
is just eliminated by the tidal wave and the owner gets a message of
that. No message is sent to anyone else.
--
Donovan
http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan

Kero wrote:
> I'm trying to identify explosions.
> THost starts counting at 1 and increments with 1.
> an explosion-message carries the ID, as -x0###
> at least for explosions from battle. If I have the proper ID, I can match
> it with messages from allies saying "ship xxx has destroyed ship yyy",
> thus trying to achieve perfect bookkeeping.
>
> What explosions are counted this way?

Winplan RSTs contain an array of 50 explosions. The ### is the index
into that array.

The array contains ships exploded at a mine hit, and ships destroyed in
combat. For mine hits, only the involved races get a message ("-e" resp.
"-n"). For combat, the involved parties get a fleet message ("-f"), and
everyone gets a "-x" message.

> However, I got one explosion from battle, a Firecloud, explosion #2
> with no earlier explosions detected. I do know an MBR hit a mine, is that
> a possibility? It's an -e0000 "message from enemy", "distress call".

Yes.

> Other explosions?
> When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
> count? who receives the messages?

This counts as a normal battle explosion, as far as I know.

In PCC, I simply associate messages with explosions in the order I get
them. That is, if I get a fleet message from (1423,2195), I look whether
there's an explosion at that place and if it is, I associate the fleet
message with it; otherwise I create a new explosion. Since HOST can
report no more than 50 explosions, it's pretty likely that I don't get
an explosion location and message for every fleet message anyway in an
active game.

Stefan

Kero

[snip]

>> Other explosions?
>> When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
>> count? who receives the messages?
>
> This counts as a normal battle explosion, as far as I know.

Donovan disagrees :) Any other opinions?

> In PCC, I simply associate messages with explosions in the order I get
> them. That is, if I get a fleet message from (1423,2195), I look whether
> there's an explosion at that place and if it is, I associate the fleet
> message with it; otherwise I create a new explosion. Since HOST can
> report no more than 50 explosions, it's pretty likely that I don't get
> an explosion location and message for every fleet message anyway in an
> active game.

Do you mean max 50 explosions in the winplan rst or max 50 messages
reporting an explosion? So far, I was only looking at the latter, not the
former.

What I did now, is look through all battle messages for all players, if
there are explosions, I can compute the offset from the (un)detected
minehits. Using this offset, I can add 1 for each message with an
explosion, or "has destroyed" or "Has been destroyed by". First tests
indicate it works fine. Note that the computation of the offset uses the
same set of messages.

If there is only one RST, my offset may be incorrect (no explosions), and
then the verification with kore??.dat will fail, I realize now. So I'll
have to read kore??.dat first and determine the offset from it. Or ignore
kore??.dat because I have (x, y) already :)

+--- Kero ----------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+

Hi,

Kero <kero@chello.single-dot.nl> wrote:
>>> When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
>>> count? who receives the messages?
>>
>> This counts as a normal battle explosion, as far as I know.
>
> Donovan disagrees :) Any other opinions?

I have not been able to reproduce this in an actual host run, but it
seems that this is merely an additional message which does not
affect gameplay. In a ship/planet fight, the ship is declared loser
if it has more than 99% damage, no matter who owns it. The "tidal
forces" message is only sent as an explanation for Lizards.

>> In PCC, I simply associate messages with explosions in the order I get
>> them. That is, if I get a fleet message from (1423,2195), I look whether
>> there's an explosion at that place and if it is, I associate the fleet
>> message with it; otherwise I create a new explosion. Since HOST can
>> report no more than 50 explosions, it's pretty likely that I don't get
>> an explosion location and message for every fleet message anyway in an
>> active game.
>
> Do you mean max 50 explosions in the winplan rst or max 50 messages
> reporting an explosion? So far, I was only looking at the latter, not the
> former.

Both. As far as I can see, there's a 1:1 correspondence between (-x)
messages and explosions. I have just tried that using Ragnarok; I
got 170 VCRs. Once the 50 slots are full, Host sends no more (-x)
messages, only (-f) messages.

PHost will, if I see that correctly, generate Bangs independently
for all players (such that one player's "-x0010" may be the other
player's "-x0018"), and generates "-x0000" messages when the 50
slots are used up.

> If there is only one RST, my offset may be incorrect (no explosions), and
> then the verification with kore??.dat will fail, I realize now. So I'll
> have to read kore??.dat first and determine the offset from it. Or ignore
> kore??.dat because I have (x, y) already :)

Well, I simply merge the two sets. This should handle all crazy
ideas Host may have. Plus, it makes it easier to handle additional
sources of explosions.

The interesting thing is to correlate (-f) messages with VCRs :)

Stefan

Donovan wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:41:24 GMT, Kero <kero@chello.single-dot.nl>
> wrote:
>

>>When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
>>count? who receives the messages?
>

> I seem to recall that one doesn't even count as an explosion, the ship
> is just eliminated by the tidal wave and the owner gets a message of
> that. No message is sent to anyone else.

No reason to send out a distress call when you were actually wanting to
blow up...

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host

Kero

>>>When do lizard >100% ships in orbit of a planet explode and how do they
>>>count? who receives the messages?
>>
>> I seem to recall that one doesn't even count as an explosion, the ship
>> is just eliminated by the tidal wave and the owner gets a message of
>> that. No message is sent to anyone else.
>
> No reason to send out a distress call when you were actually wanting to
> blow up...

Now I'm not an expert in the Gorn psyche, but do you really think they
*want* to blow up? :p

+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+

Kero wrote:

>>>I seem to recall that one doesn't even count as an explosion, the ship
>>>is just eliminated by the tidal wave and the owner gets a message of
>>>that. No message is sent to anyone else.
>>
>>No reason to send out a distress call when you were actually wanting to
>>blow up...
>
> Now I'm not an expert in the Gorn psyche, but do you really think they
> *want* to blow up? :p

Yeah...

have you ever seen them eat?

.... its not pretty ...