[SOLVED] Extend Range

Oct 25, 2020
I have an ASUS RT-AC1200G that I'd like to use to extend the range of the Bell (Canada) Home Hub 2000 WiFi range WITHOUT using a network cable between the two routers.
Is that possible?
I've tried a few variations but it hasn't worked for me.

Solution
All depends if the asus can act as a repeater. WDS is the hack they use to make repeaters work. The big question is does the asus actually act as a repeater or does it just support you connecting a repeater to the router. The home hub must also have WDS support. Most routers do but it is considered a security exposure so it many times is disabled.

Note even if get this to work it is not the optimum way to do this. You will likely lose at least 1/2 the bandwidth. Pretty much you only use a repeater when have any signal at all even a poor signal is better than not having any connectivity at all. If you can live with that it will be fine.

RealBeast

Titan
I have an ASUS RT-AC1200G that I'd like to use to extend the range of the Bell (Canada) Home Hub 2000 WiFi range WITHOUT using a network cable between the two routers.
Is that possible?
A pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters can replace the cable if you cannot run it, but it will reduce the bandwidth to about 200Mbps on average.

And the ASUS needs to be set up as an AP with an LAN to LAN connection to the main router.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Is that possible?
while @RealBeast has given the best answer I think, but generally you can probably look into directional or focused wifi extenders or repeaters which can help you with issues like bandwidth drop. Hope this helps.

Oct 25, 2020
Really? What a P.I.T.A..
There is a WDS function within the ASUS RT-AC1200G system and it mentions connecting to another wireless network without cables. At least that is how it reads to me anyway.
Maybe I'll just have to invest in another router or purchase WiFi repeaters/extenders. :-(

All depends if the asus can act as a repeater. WDS is the hack they use to make repeaters work. The big question is does the asus actually act as a repeater or does it just support you connecting a repeater to the router. The home hub must also have WDS support. Most routers do but it is considered a security exposure so it many times is disabled.

Note even if get this to work it is not the optimum way to do this. You will likely lose at least 1/2 the bandwidth. Pretty much you only use a repeater when have any signal at all even a poor signal is better than not having any connectivity at all. If you can live with that it will be fine.

Solution
The ASUS can act as a repeater, there are several modes it can do. Router, Access Point, Media Bridge(wifi to LAN), and Repeater: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036082/

3ddc0520-235f-4bac-8c96-e166783ca857.jpg

Try setting the Asus router(repeater mode) halfway between the main wifi and where your computer is. See if that gives you what you need. Bandwidth may be an issue, so see if it's enough for you.

Other than that, you can look into MOCA and powerline ethernet as suggested.

Would be nice if asus stayed with their single router image concept. They introduced this 1200 router that has almost no memory and was extremely cheap compared to other routers with a 1200 number. Problem was they cut the feature list.

I don't think it has that option. There are at least 5 hardware revisions of the 1200 so maybe one of the newer ones added the support.