aeromaster03

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Hi,
I have an old Dell Optiplex 760. Currently I have one monitor coming out of the motherboard. I have a HP hstnn s01x Dock which has a VGA output which isn’t regestering as a secondary display when plugged into the second monitor. However I can’t route just the display through the dock either. Can I extend through this or do I have to purchase a USB->VGA adapter?

Thanks in advance

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
I don't know what a hstnn s01x dock is... but just get an inexpensive low end video card and plus two or three monitors into that. Or better yet, get a used video card. I've had good luck with fitting GPU's to old dells of that era. They always seem to work fine together. $40 Gt710 should do it if you don't like hunting used gpus. Then when you eventually upgrade to a new workstation, swap your gpu into your new one.

aeromaster03

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
I don't know what a hstnn s01x dock is... but just get an inexpensive low end video card and plus two or three monitors into that. Or better yet, get a used video card. I've had good luck with fitting GPU's to old dells of that era. They always seem to work fine together. $40 Gt710 should do it if you don't like hunting used gpus. Then when you eventually upgrade to a new workstation, swap your gpu into your new one.

This is just a pc purely for SFX for amateur theatre productions so we don’t need a new pc just for that.

And it’s a dock that is USB to various ports like VGA, Ethernet, USB etc.

And I'll have a look at a GPU then, but surely there's a way to do it with what we have...?

Thanks

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
Yeah I was just mentioning that whenever you get a newer PC, if you get one, the gpu should swap over so you can have dual monitors on your new one.

So the $40 cost isn't sunk into that particular PC. A new or used gtx750 would be nice, but can be hard to tell whats good and whats mislabeled junk.