Extended warranty for SSD from Newegg worth it?

Extended warranties are generally a losing bet.
The issuer expects to make a profit, taking in more than will be paid out.
If you can afford to buy a replacement for that $229 ssd then do not buy an extended warranty.

Past that, I would buy a brand that makes their own components like Samsung.
I would return the unit in favor of a Samsung 970 1tb unit for about the same price.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147691
It comes with a 5 year warranty.

The one you ordered has only a 3 year warranty.
That should tell you something.

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly, fair point. There will be better ones too by then.

I have a crucial MX100 512gb that I bought back in early 2014 for $200 CAD ($150 USD), no regrets, fantastic drive which is still my primary drive.

Yeah the one I posted was $200 CAD, (basically only $150usd), the 970 evo is a whole $120 more at $320 for me, so would be more that 1.5x more, I basically got the EX920 at a steal even if I did pay 20 bucks more for extra warranty. Just wondering what it does or how it works since I can afford the 20 extra bucks if I wanted to, but obviously don't want to if it's pointless.
If the 970 were the same price obviously there wouldn't be any question of which I should get but it also costs almost twice as much for me. On another note the drive was supposedly updated to have 5 years of warranty, but I doubt their QC is as good as other companies for SSDs.

Aug 7, 2018
Rather than worry about the hardware, I'd suggest that the data is worth much more than the drive itself. If the drive goes bad and takes the data with it, you'll not only lose the data, but all the time involved in reinstalling the O/S etc... If you are worried about an uncertain future, set-up a data back-up system to protect what's most valuable.

I also agree with everyone else. Extended warranties are a scam.

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah seems like it, found out my credit card company gives me a year extra of warranty too anyways.

Honestly not worried about data, I have everything I need backed up to a few cloud storage places and a usb stick. Will be doing a fresh install of everything to breath new life into my PC anyways.

Anyhow, thanks for all the answers, not going to waste my money on extra warranty now.