[SOLVED] Extension box poor ground connection

Midhun Kumar

Commendable
Jul 17, 2021
I experience electric shock wherever I touch the surface of my CPU cabinet, its side panel, rear panel, or its screws. When I connect a phone to my PC using a USB cable, I could feel electric shock at the metal frame of my phone. The same happens when I connect my pendrive to the USB port, it's metal outer cover causes shock when touched. Similarly, I could experience electric shock at the metal surfaces of my printer. My CPU & printer are connected using an extension box. I don't feel any shock when the CPU or the printer is directly plugged into the wall socket. So, I think my extension box is not properly grounded
Is there any way to repair the extension box so that it is properly grounded? Is the repair process simple so that I can do it myself?

Solution
You will need to start with your power strip and see if it actually has 3 wires terminating at the socket ends. If there are no 3 wires but 2, then your power strip does not have an earthing/grounding wire in it. The next place to look is the wall outlet, and if it has 3 wires, one of the 3 wires should either be a yellow sheathed wire with a green line or a copper wire altogether, that is the ground wire. Just to be sure if your house has grounding, you will need to call in a certified electrician and ask them to scope out the wiring in your house. Often times the grounding wire from your wall outlet does not terminate at the SDB(sub distribution box) or MDB(main distribution box).

Short story, you shouldn't just stare at the power...

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to start with your power strip and see if it actually has 3 wires terminating at the socket ends. If there are no 3 wires but 2, then your power strip does not have an earthing/grounding wire in it. The next place to look is the wall outlet, and if it has 3 wires, one of the 3 wires should either be a yellow sheathed wire with a green line or a copper wire altogether, that is the ground wire. Just to be sure if your house has grounding, you will need to call in a certified electrician and ask them to scope out the wiring in your house. Often times the grounding wire from your wall outlet does not terminate at the SDB(sub distribution box) or MDB(main distribution box).

Short story, you shouldn't just stare at the power strip and blame it, there are others in line that need inspecting.

Solution