extension power cord

Sure, here's some SJEOW.

In general, the longer it is the more oversize you will want the conductors to be (lower AWG) to reduce losses. The finer the strands those same-gauge wires are made of, the more flexible it will be. And in general, if you want the jacket to be flexible in the cold you'll want an E instead of T even though there are Thermoplastics such as CPE which are also very flexible.
2_1_1024x1024.jpg

If you need more than 300v then non-J or V is good to 600v.

Reactions: stonecarver
Feb 2, 2024
At first it might seem like rubber is better than plastic, due to its suppleness and so called memory, while plastics are hard and stiff. The more abrasion protection you want the more rigid plastics will be.
But i have found based on many cords of all lengths and gauges that rubber tends to be just as much work to unroll/roll up. Plastic surprisingly is no worse, they both must be rolled up the same way/loop size each use and use something like the over-under technique. bigger loops are better.
Rubber lends itself better to minimize trip hazards as plastic tends to stay in its rather coiled up shape unless its hot. this is really the only advantage i can see of rubber, it unrolls almost straight even in cold.
Sadly nowadays more and more cords use undersized conductors in the actual plugs, made by clowns basically. My semi industrial 10M rubber cord uses 1mm2 conductors and when running 2000watts/8.5A through it the actual pins on the plugs are dangerously hot, this is solely because they use the absolute minimum copper in the plugs that attach the pins. The earlier exact same model cords never got beyond luke warm, and this shameful behavior is happening everywhere with more and more doing this.

Most wire strands are simply medium which is a good balance. Fine strands have the advantage they can be bent back and forth alot more before fatiguing/work hardening. But fine strand are more delicate with termination.

Ralston18

Titan
First: what is meant by "personal computerwho wastes around max 400 watts"

Second: the gembird product is listed as a surge protector - not an extension cord.

And the product actually appears to be more of a general power strip. Note the descriptions shown in the various specifications.....

Do you require an extension cord, a power strip, or a surge protector? Different things but can be combined.

Surge protectors offer protection in the form of Joules. I did not note any such protection listed.

Not a product I would trust at all.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem.

I took a longer look through the various product specification documents. Did not note any Joules rating.

You posted that you live in Macedonia - the surge protector is for "Germany". Does Macedonia use the same outlet/plug standards?

From the product link (my italics)
  • PURE POWER
  • Protects valuable equipment from harmful power surges
  • Suitable for high power consumption devices
Pure power: Not sure what that really means. However power strips do nothing to add power or clean up power.

Protects from "harmful power surges" - no ratings or explanation. Maybe just the built in 16 A breaker.

Suitable for high power consumption devices. Such as.....? How is "high power defined" ? Again no specifics and I would be very surprised if the power strip would support, for example, a washing machine. (Which should never be run via a power strip in any case.)

Mostly vague and subjective and lacking technical details.

Summary: the power strip appears to be a low end product that is shy of meaningful documentation and supporting facts that I would look for.

Although color, cord length, etc. have some relevancy those features are not important. How well the power strip is designed, what materials are used, how well assembled, and tested are all far more important.

Look for brand name products that are known, well rated, and available in your area. Avoid discount bin/box items often sold in bulk for low prices.

Go online and look for product reviews by known reviewers.

For example (not an endorsement or product recommendation):

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-surge-protector/

Try to find review links applicable to power strip products available within your country.

May be more than you wish to spend - still less costly than replacing damaged or destroyed electronics.

Just my thoughts on the matter.