Question external 32 bit PCI card through USB

Feb 3, 2023
Hi

I'm looking for a way to connect an old 32 bit PCI 5V card to my laptop.
I only have USB 3.2 ports, type A (gen 1) and C (gen 2).

The closest I got is an external PCI-e riser that connects with USB but I can't seem to find any solution for the legacy PCI card.

Any of you got an idea?

Thanks for your time!

If you already have an USB to PCIe adapter, maybe this card will work for you.

But it has a Molex connector, I'm not sure id it could work without a power source.
ADP-PX1-PCI-3-800x800.jpg

Feb 3, 2023
What is the old PCI card used for?

It's for an Echo Mona 24/96 audio interface.
A 4 input (mic/line/instrument) and 6 output rack unit.

If you already have an USB to PCIe adapter, maybe this card will work for you.

But it has a Molex connector, I'm not sure id it could work without a power source.
ADP-PX1-PCI-3-800x800.jpg

I don't have the USB to PCI-e adapter yet, only did some research.
This is what I found. https://miningwholesale.eu/product/pci-express-riser-009s-extender-card-adapter-6-pin/
It also has 6 pin power but I thought that since the old card doesnt require power it wouldnt be necesary to plug it in? Am I wrong about that?

If the power is optional your solution might work though. How do I find one of those adapters, I've tried searching something like it but couldnt find one.

It's for an Echo Mona 24/96 audio interface.
A 4 input (mic/line/instrument) and 6 output rack unit.

I don't have the USB to PCI-e adapter yet, only did some research.
This is what I found. https://miningwholesale.eu/product/pci-express-riser-009s-extender-card-adapter-6-pin/
It also has 6 pin power but I thought that since the old card doesnt require power it wouldnt be necesary to plug it in? Am I wrong about that?

You could be wrong because the PCI bus does provide all the voltages (3.3v, 5v and 12v), each equipment will use what it needs.

If the power is optional your solution might work though. How do I find one of those adapters, I've tried searching something like it but couldnt find one.

Even id it works, I think it's a bit messy with a lot of naked parts laying around.

BTW do you have to stick with that old audio equipment? There should be newer versions that work with USB2/3 or USB-C ports.

Feb 3, 2023
I’d like to get this interface working because it has decent components inside and I can get it for cheap.
To get a comparable quality modern product I’d need to pay up to $1000.

I’m usually okay with a bit of jank but maybe trying to get this to work with a laptop is a bit of a stretch.
I’ll have to find another interface to use.

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Finding lots of PCIe 1x to PCI adapters of various types. And USB to PCIe adapters. Combined together that might work.

Or you can purpose build a system with a PCI slot. Even a modern one:

AMD

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($100.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRO A520M-C II/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 250 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $377.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-03 13:31 EST-0500

Intel

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G7400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRO H610M-CT D4-CSM Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($109.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 250 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $383.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-03 13:32 EST-0500

Feb 3, 2023
I’ll definitely look into a desktop pc in about 2-3 years when my laptop reaches eol.

I’ll research it for a bit now until I’m completely sure i find a match of PCI -> PCIe -> USB that will work before I buy it.
Worst case senario i bring in an old power supply to power the slot.
It wont be the cleanest desk but it’ll allow me to record 2 guitarists, a bassist and a vocalist at the same time for easy pre production.

Thanks guys for putting me on track for the right google queries, i wasn’t getting it quite right before.

Reactions: lvt
I’ll research it for a bit now until I’m completely sure i find a match of PCI -> PCIe -> USB that will work before I buy it.
Worst case senario i bring in an old power supply to power the slot.

The combo should work (theoretically), the problem is that whether your PCI card's drivers support a PCI slot that is not directly connected to a motherboard but through an PCI-E to USB interface. At the time they made this product they surely have no idea about it.

I’ll definitely look into a desktop pc in about 2-3 years when my laptop reaches eol.

You can grab an old 775 based desktop PC anytime for less than 100$. Most of 775 motherboard come with 1 x PCI slot in their mATX version, and more in the full-side AT version.

The last CPU that you can use with the 775 socket is the Intel Core2 Quad 9650, cheap but powerful enough to play some games so there won't be an issue with your audio processing.