[SOLVED] External BluRay Burner/Reader won't play Blu-Ray films ?

William Carter

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
So, my gf bought an External BluRay Burner/Reader Archgon UltraSlim Optical Drive Model #md8107-u3 off Amazon, and it doesn't read Blu-Rays. It told her she had to get CyberLink PowerDVD, which she bought from the website (CyberLink PowerDVD 20) but it says it can't be installed unless she has version 19. So after paying $110 for the drive and $40 for the software, she still cant watch her blu rays. Does anyone know a software, preferrably free, that will allow her to watch BluRays with this device. (We have tried VLC Player and Windows Media Player = no luck) As always, your help is much appreciated.

Solution
So, my gf bought an External BluRay Burner/Reader Archgon UltraSlim Optical Drive Model #md8107-u3 off Amazon, and it doesn't read Blu-Rays. It told her she had to get CyberLink PowerDVD, which she bought from the website (CyberLink PowerDVD 20) but it says it can't be installed unless she has version 19. So after paying $110 for the drive and $40 for the software, she still cant watch her blu rays. Does anyone know a software, preferrably free, that will allow her to watch BluRays with this device. (We have tried VLC Player and Windows Media Player = no luck) As always, your help is much appreciated.

You should be able to get a refund for the program, if it's asking for an older version she must have bought an upgrade...

You should be able to get a refund for the program, if it's asking for an older version she must have bought an upgrade.

I would also return that player to Amazon and get one with a bundle that has playback software included. https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-...y+drive&qid=1613584644&sr=8-4&tag=googhydr-20

For VLC Player to work with commercial disks you need to do a bit of configuring https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/play-blu-ray-with-vlc.html

Solution