Question External Drive not working after using it on Ubuntu ?

May 23, 2023
I have this 1TB External WD Elements hard drive, it used to work good but today after i plugged it into my laptop with Ubuntu on it (Zorin OS) and for some reason I used gparted to format disk and now when I plug it into my laptop with windows on it, it says malfunction usb drive...

The fun part I did this thing before and it never happened but now when I did it its showing error tho it's working fine in Ubuntu

Btw i have tried using NTFS and Fat32 also my drive uses GPT table also the usb drive doesn't show up on list disk on diskpart, sorry for bad english

Please help me, tried every single thing

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
First of all you're English is OK, don't worry.

Btw i have tried using NTFS and Fat32 also my drive uses GPT table also the usb drive doesn't show up on list disk on diskpart
Are we talking about one drive or more than one?

If the drive doesn't show in disk list and not in linux either there might be a hardware problem. But you said "its showing error tho it's working fine in Ubuntu". If it works in Ubuntu it should be fine as far as hardware is concerned.

and for some reason I used gparted to format disk
What was that reason? Under Linux, it is better if you use a Linux native file system, such as ext4, XFS or btrfs, as your root partition, for stability and security. That is you should format the drive to one of those (depending on distros and etc) if you need to boot linux from it.

Linux uses POSIX permissions for managing files in a file system. NTFS is not compatible with this permission system, and that's why you shouldn't use it as a system (or /home) partition, for that matter. Because that means that any user would be able to modify any file in the FS - which is a bad idea.

Fortunately, NTFS can still be used normally as a data partition, storing personal files and music, pictures, documents etc in a way that it Windows can also access it normally, without the limitations of the FAT32 file system (FAT32 can not work files larger than 4GBs).

Linux can detect, recognize and work with NTFS (or FAT32). That is it can mount and read and write to and from the drive, as data storage. Sometimes in some distros you might need to install things like Fuse or NTFS-3g etc.

Again, you don't need to format a NTFS drive to use as storage under linux.

If you formatted the disk in Linux to use with Linux (via the linux setup?) that might have made the file system on the drive ext4 file systems (to be bootable in linux) which is not known by Windows.

If (we are talking about one drive) and it is a USB drive and you have some data/files on the drive, first copy them somewhere else (backup) and then format the drive back to NTFS. That way you can use it with both Windows and Linux.

May 23, 2023
First of all you're English is OK, don't worry.

Are we talking about one drive or more than one?

If the drive doesn't show in disk list and not in linux either there might be a hardware problem. But you said "its showing error tho it's working fine in Ubuntu". If it works in Ubuntu it should be fine as far as hardware is concerned.

What was that reason? Under Linux, it is better if you use a Linux native file system, such as ext4, XFS or btrfs, as your root partition, for stability and security. That is you should format the drive to one of those (depending on distros and etc) if you need to boot linux from it.

Linux uses POSIX permissions for managing files in a file system. NTFS is not compatible with this permission system, and that's why you shouldn't use it as a system (or /home) partition, for that matter. Because that means that any user would be able to modify any file in the FS - which is a bad idea.

Fortunately, NTFS can still be used normally as a data partition, storing personal files and music, pictures, documents etc in a way that it Windows can also access it normally, without the limitations of the FAT32 file system (FAT32 can not work files larger than 4GBs).

Linux can detect, recognize and work with NTFS (or FAT32). That is it can mount and read and write to and from the drive, as data storage. Sometimes in some distros you might need to install things like Fuse or NTFS-3g etc.

Again, you don't need to format a NTFS drive to use as storage under linux.

If you formatted the disk in Linux to use with Linux (via the linux setup?) that might have made the file system on the drive ext4 file systems (to be bootable in linux) which is not known by Windows.

If (we are talking about one drive) and it is a USB drive and you have some data/files on the drive, first copy them somewhere else (backup) and then format the drive back to NTFS. That way you can use it with both Windows and Linux.
I was using it as windows bootable drive ,now just to get it back to normal I formatted it on my laptop and next thing you know, its not working on my other laptop( with windows)