Question External Drive Question (WD Elements)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
A while back I bought this external hd, and my IT tech told me to "save all your music on your G drive".

I think everyone already knows about the WMP Codec Problem. It's when you go to play a playlist or a cut off a cd and it won't play because of a "Codec Error".

How do : a) make sure I have music on drive G on this thing and
b) can you buy Codexes and upload them so that WMP will work.

My specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8300 36 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 805MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 (Socket M2) 42 °C
Graphics
E321VL (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI) 47 °C
Storage
111GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDEC120GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 43 °C
1863GB MB2000EBUCF ATA Device (SATA ) 43 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD Elements 2621 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 43 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS324 F ATA Device
Audio

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Just files/locations...... no songs. Guys, I have gotten my eyes so tired...... I kept the page with all the albums on it, but now I don't know where it went. I'll hunt for it again tomorrow. Gotta be on the rig somewhere, right? Sorry, but thank you, friends!

Just files/locations...... no songs. Guys, I have gotten my eyes so tired...... I kept the page with all the albums on it, but now I don't know where it went. I'll hunt for it again tomorrow. Gotta be on the rig somewhere, right? Sorry, but thank you, friends!

EXCLUDING songs, would you expect to see 57 GB of something on the G drive?

57 GB of something MIGHT be just 1 file..............but it is MUCH more likely to be thousands of files.....of some type. Songs or not.

"Locations"??

Do you mean folders?

Have you drilled down into those "locations" on the right side?

Last edited:
@Wolkie 72, try this.

Go to the CMD prompt:

https://support.kaspersky.com/common/windows/14637#block0

Type the following line:

Code:
dir G:\*.* /s /b > C:\G_file_list.txt

This will list all the visible files in all folders on drive G: and write the list to a file named "C:\G_file_list.txt" on your C: drive.

You can open this file in NotePad or WordPad or MS Word, or your favourite word processor. Just select File -> Open and then type C:\G_file_list.txt.

This list will not include hidden files or anything in the Recycle Bin.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
@Wolkie 72, try this.

Go to the CMD prompt:

https://support.kaspersky.com/common/windows/14637#block0

Type the following line:

Code:
dir G:\*.* /s /b > C:\G_file_list.txt

This will list all the visible files in all folders on drive G: and write the list to a file named "C:\G_file_list.txt" on your C: drive.

You can open this file in NotePad or WordPad or MS Word, or your favourite word processor. Just select File -> Open and then type C:\G_file_list.txt.

This list will not include hidden files or anything in the Recycle Bin.
Sorry to be just now returning, , fzabkar, and Lafong. I had a day's worth of dr. appointments Tuesday and was knackered when I got home and just wanted to sleep.

To answer your questions:

1. I would only expect to see music on that drive - noting else. It has ABBA - Gold and 2 Robert Klein albums on it now. The Klein albums were a recent purchase and loaded themselves to my library as they played on the computer.

Yes, all 3 are on G drive.

2. I did "drill down" on the folders on the right, but nothing comes up except the G drives and one I tried to rename "quasi" - nothing shows.

3. I typed what you listed in CMD prompt, but got "access denied"......

Thanks
PS: I ran the CMD Prompt instructions as admin, and it did a quick search ending in 32, but it won't respond to expand.

PPS: Just saw the other of your instructions. When I went to the C drive, here's what I got:

G:\ABBA
G:\BillMusic (G)
G:\BillMusic (G).lnk
G:\BillMusic (G).zip
G:\DESKTOP-IKGD673
G:\dmde-4-0-2-804-win64-gui (1)
G:\dmde-4-0-2-804-win64-gui (1).zip
G:\dmde-4-0-2-804-win64-gui.zip
G:\Everything-1.4.1.1022.x64
G:\Everything-1.4.1.1022.x64.zip
G:\FileHistory
G:\Local Disk (C).lnk
G:\Music
G:\Pictures (2).lnk
G:\Pictures.lnk
G:\quasi
G:\Robert Klein
G:\windirstat1_1_2_setu

THIS was followed by an intensely long list of this:

G:\.tmp.driveupload\10001
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10003
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10005
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10007
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10009
G:\.tmp.driveupload\1001
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10011
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10013
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10015
G:\.tmp.driveupload\10017

Do you think this is my music? If not, what can I do with this?

Also, when I went down the line of those files I just copied to this post, I also found files - much larger such as this one which went way across the page. It looks like everything I've ever done since birth went to that damn G drive, doesn't it?

G:\FileHistory\quasi\DESKTOP-IKGD673\Data\C\Users\quasi\Downloads\Battle.net-Setup\Battle.net-Setup.app\Contents\Resources
G:\FileHistory\quasi\DESKTOP-IKGD673\Data\C\Users\quasi\Downloads\Battle.net-Setup\Battle.net-Setup.app\Contents\_CodeSignature
G:\FileHistory\quasi\DESKTOP-IKGD673\Data\C\Users\quasi\Downloads\Battle.net-Setup\Battle.net-Setup.app\Contents\MacOS\Battle (2022_03_24 16_15_44 UTC).net-Setup
G:\FileHistory\quasi\DESKTOP-IKGD673\Data\C\Users\quasi\Downloads\Battle.net-Setup\Battle.net-Setup.app\Contents\MacOS\Battle (2022_03_24 16_27_01 UTC).net-Setup

There's MORE - MUCH MORE. I left it all alone. Maybe you can advise me on what to do now?

Last edited:
PS: I ran the CMD Prompt instructions as admin, and it did a quick search ending in 32, but it won't respond to expand.

Do you now have a file named "G_file_list.txt" on your C: drive?

Yes? No?

You should if you entered the command shown in post 82 under the word "code".

You did not tell us how much music you thought your tech was putting on your G drive.

Was it 100 songs? 1000? 10,000?

If these songs are typical MP3, I'd expect them to take up perhaps 1 GB for each 200 to 300 songs.

I suspect the music is there, but you can't yet locate it.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Yes. I do have that file on my C drive.

I would say that there are between 1k and 1500 total songs on that drive (G), but then there's that other stuff. How does one get rid of this superfluous stuff?

USAFRet

Titan
At this point, I'd start over.

1. You've been messing with this for a week. They may be there, but properly ripped CDs would have been instantly discoverable.
  2. The long subfolder chain is simple incompetence by your IT dude.
  3. Given his incompetence, what else did he screw up?

Grab your stack of CDs
Create a top level folder on that drive /Music.
One subfolder per group or artist, and a folder under those for individual albums.

Yes. I do have that file on my C drive.

I would say that there are between 1k and 1500 total songs on that drive (G), but then there's that other stuff. How does one get rid of this superfluous stuff?

Can you open that file on your C drive?

It should open with any text editor, including Microsoft Word or Notepad.

It should show the file name of each file on G.....Don McClean, ABBA, and whatever else.

1500 songs shouldn't take up more than 10 GB at most.

I think you said your G drive has 57 GB of something on it. Most likely your music is among that 57.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
When you wrote "did you mean...." THAT is what appeared in the green box which stated "access denied". But it did NOT appear that way in the choices you gave me which end in "add to..... 7z". Clicking on THAT choice is what gave me the green box which contained the C: file location which I wrote wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.